PDA

View Full Version : Disney Concierge?

Aurora's Spindle
02-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Would anyone happen to have any insight to offer concerning the concierge rooms at the Disney Deluxe Resorts, particularly AKL, WL, and the Polynesian? I'm in the midst of planning a couple of Disney vacations, and was wondering if it was really worth it. If it helps, my fiance and I have both been to Disney many times and our focus is not necessarily running about to see everything in the parks, but rather enjoying ourselves as much as possible.

I was also wondering about the Wanyama Sunset Safari at AKL. We're definitely planning to stay at the AKL for at least part of one of our trips, and this is another Disney offering that I would like to know how people feel about. There are two of us who both love animals -- is it worth the extra $300 or should we just stick to riding the Kilimanjaro Safari in AK?

Every opinion is welcome and well-appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bouncer
02-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Our family loves staying at Poly Concierge. The building is secured by room keys, and the lounge not only has great food offerings but the view of the castle is spectacular. We love to sit and eat our meals or just unwind before bed with a cocktail looking at the castle. Also, when Wishes is going on you can hear the music right in the lounge and watch the fireworks. Just awesome. You may have someone argue that the cost of concierge is not worth it but if you plan to relax at the resort more, you can't beat the feel of concierge.:cloud9: Good luck with your choice:)

Donald
02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
We did concierge at WL and loved it.

Our room was woderful! We were in 7056 and had the most awesome view of MK's fireworks everynight. (we were in the park for wishes, but enjoyed the MMVCP fireworks later in the evening) We would sit on our balcony with some dessert and glass of wine and just enjoy!

The food offerings were delicious. Every morning we would grab some breakfast: bagels, fresh fruit, choice of cold cereal, pastries, coffee/tea/latte'/juice. We would then head into the parks for some fun and have a TS lunch there before returning to the WL for sum pool fun. Sometimes the boys would grab a cookie or snack from concierge (goldfish crackers, gummi bears, cookies, pretzels). After our swim, we would go back up, grab a bite to eat for dinner and head back to the parks (dinner offerings were: veggie tray w/ dip, cheese and crackers, wine selections, soup, and entree-every night was a different offering from one of the restaurants in the hotel. We had Chicken w/ wild rice and cheese(they offered average sized chicken breasts), sausage and cabbage (3-4 inch links), and Pork loin with apples (again average size that you would probably serve at home).) We would then head back to the parks for the evening. When we returned, they offered dessert and cordials/select wines (always a warm cobbler like dessert & cookies/bars). There was always fresh coffee and a machine that would make you a latte or other coffe treat along with syrups to flavor your coffee.

Was it worth it=YES! Extremely convienient! Delicious offerings. The staff at WL were wonderful. They always kept things well stocked and if you had any questions or need of services, they took care of it.

Enjoy your vacation!:mickey:

whistlewhileyouwork
02-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Spindle.....(love the name)
We only stay on the concierge level. I feel that it is worth every penny, not having to vie for breakfast everyday and that alone is worth it to us. I am a frequent vistor to the WL 7th floor and highly recommend it to you. We have stayed in the Yosemite and Yellowstone suites (not sure if you are looking for that) but if you can swing it (theres always plastic!!) then do it. The views, the ammenities, the wrap around porch are worth everypenny...........the food is worth the $$, trust me, just to have it as an option is such a reliefl I have also done the safaris 4 times......and cannot go without it at every visit. We too are animal lovers and it gets better everytime.......IM me if you want more infor on those suites......and most of all have fun and enjoy the glory of the lodge.:mickey:

DizneyRox
02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
The sunset safari is definitely worth it. You ride the AKL savannah, NOT the AK areas. We had the vehicle all to ourselves, and a wonderful meal at Jiko later that night. I would do it again, but I'm a big fan of AK and AKL.

Catzle
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Well we love concierge! The offerings are great. We like knowing exactly where we are going to be when we check in. We like the convenience of the breakfast and snacks and drinks. We have only stayed at the Poly but have thought about the WL but due to the fact it's on the 7th floor bothers me just a tad, if it were on the first floor I would do it in a heart beat!
I don't like heights and have young children and the Poly to me personally seems easier to go get a snack or drink especially if your hanging at the pool it's a very very short walk and your there, maybe I'm just a little lazy. Now when it comes to price I don't believe you will ever make your money back. The difference between the Poly regular room and conceirge for a 8 night stay is almost $1,600 there is no way in 9 days I could eat, drink and make ADR's that would equal $1,600 and that's for a family of 4. So you can't really compare money, it has to be more about convenience and what you want from your vacation.

Aurora's Spindle
02-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Thank you all for your replies! Personally, I love resorts with concierge offerings (I grew up spoiled that way, lol). I think the only difficulty is convincing the fiance that it's okay to spend the money. After all, you can't take it with you ... and it's WDW! Every trip I've ever had there has been the trip of a lifetime. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
"Worth" is a very subjective word. We've been staying on Disney's concierge level since the 1990's and unfortunately we've seen the prices go up significantly, while the service has dropped off.

I think the AKL probably offers the best value. Their concierge rooms can run as low as $335 per night. You also have access to the exclusive sunrise safari, which definitely cannot be compared to the Kilimanjaro ride. Following construction, the standard concierge rooms are on the 4th floor and you do have to travel up to the 6th floor for the lounge and concierge staff. It's my understanding that all these rooms do offer savannah views though.

The Poly will run you at least $480 per night for a garden view in Hawaii. I'd have to say that they do have one of the nicest lounges though. It's big and offers a wonderful view of the castle. Just like real estate, you are paying extra for location, location, location.

The WL falls between the two and starts at $380 per night. My opinion is that the WL has a much more relaxed, casual feel. At one time, all their seating and limited food offerings were put out around the balcony. A few years ago, the did build an enclosed lounge and extended their food offerings. The seating is still located around the interior balcony. Specific views are by request.

Lounge offerings and amenities are pretty consistent at all the resorts:

6:30am - 7:00am ~ coffee, tea
7am - 10:30am ~ deluxe continental breakfast
11am - 1pm (AKL & GF only) ~ light snacks
2pm - 4pm (AKL & GF only) ~ afternoon tea
11am - 4pm (all others) ~ light snacks
5pm - 7pm ~ cheese, crackers, light meal
8pm - 10pm ~ dessert assortments

Services include pre-planning. One e-mail can take care of all your ADR requests, spa appointments, recreation and any special requests. This is where the service can lack though. Sometimes you may need to call a number of times, or send additional e-mails to follow up. We've had some amazing concierge stays and we've also had some where I had to do much of the pre-planning work on my own.

javamama
02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
We're trying it out in April, at the Poly. I can't wait, price wise our trip is pretty steep this year, but we have a party of 10. I love that I can get a snack for my toddlers throughout the day/night, grab a quick bite of breakfast(ds is so picky). Plus I hear the lounge is amazing at the Poly, enjoy it, and go for it:thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
02-23-2008, 05:34 PM
We're trying it out in April, at the Poly. How has their pre-planning service been so far?

Catzle
02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
We have the Poly concierge booked and so far they have been great. The took care of getting our P & P tickets and our dinner reservations and room requests. Emailed them and within 24 hours we got our response back. And also our magical express was set up.

lockedoutlogic
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
We have the Poly concierge booked and so far they have been great. The took care of getting our P & P tickets and our dinner reservations and room requests. Emailed them and within 24 hours we got our response back. And also our magical express was set up.

all of which you could have done yourself in about 20 minutes via phone

Alright......this is an ongoing gripe I'll admit....but Disney has no "Concierge"

Concierge is a specific type of service that uses privileges, connections, and a more experienced and skilled staff to serve individual needs

Disney does not qualify on any level....they can't get you into restaurants at your own hotel...their service ends at the borders of WDW...which would be unacceptable to any other hotel offering concierge...and the staff is drawn from a labor pool and has no specialized training or qualifications to speak of....

I know some people really like it...but at WDW it is not concierge....they just mislabel "club level" with that name....

TammiMcMan
02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I know some people really like it...but at WDW it is not concierge....they just mislabel "club level" with that name....While I agree with many of the reasons why Disney's concierge is not a good value, to be fair, they have changed their label to "club level". Many people do still refer to it as concierge however and either aren't aware or aren't bothered by how it compares to non-Disney hotels.

javamama
02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Barge for Tammi-

IMO not so great, on the pre planning part. We're a Grand Gathering party, and they never mentioned anything "special" we can do or take advantage of--so I feel like I'm doing it all myself still. I did have no problems making dining reservations at all, I sent them my "wishlist", and we got everything we aksed for. Also my parents were down there a few weeks ago, and wanted to check out the suite, and they did try to get them into it but it was occupied. So the Grand Gathering lack of info is my main beef.
Tina

TammiMcMan
02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Tina. That's what I was alluding to in my previous post. You're basically paying for a higher level of service and it can be spotty at best. What's especially interesting is that both you and Catzle are utilizing the same pre-planning staff, but have very different experiences.

javamama
02-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Tammi-I should let you know that I'm completely **** about things though also:blush: I worked in the airline industry for almost 15 years now, so I try to educate myself on alot of stuff. Plus we're traveling w/a party of 10, with 2 first timers, and 2 toddlers(which are mine) so things have to be done right. Just like when I found out about the ticket upgrade promo going on when were there. I called they said we weren't eligble because we're staying in a suite, but if I stayed at a value/moderate/deluxe regular room no problem you can have it. I didn't take no for an answer--that's where my travel/airline stuff comes into play. I spoke w/a higher up, and they agreed w/me we were be penalized for staying in a suite, so they gave us the deal, and almost a 500 credit---which makes me happy, and I think they did the right thing in this case. So I'm all over everything usually:cool: Now the staff have answered all my emails in a very timely manner, and always friendly. They also did do our ME, I forgot.

Tinkerbellfan
02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello,

We have stayed at the WL concierge several times and thorough enjoyed each stay. We loved all of the food offerings and the pre-help planning the trip. We loved have lattes available all day and we loved the evening cordials! We were even able to book all of our ADRs before the 180 day mark so we got everyone we wanted.

I would recommend the special safari offered only to WDW Concierge guests at AK. It is roughly $50 a person and an hour long drive. You get a special safarii vehicle that stops along the way for long pauses for pictures and gives you plenty behind the scene stats.

While it costs a lot extra, I feel it adds an extra bit of something special for a vacation!

DawsonAR
02-25-2008, 10:03 AM
We did Club level at the Poly on our last trip. We are now hooked and we will always use club level (unless we change the way we do Disney). It worked for us. We liked getting a lite breakfast without the hassle of a food court. We usually eat a table service meal for lunch in the parks. We have two smaller kids so we are back at the resort around 5 or 6 each night. We were able to snack during the evening. We could get the kids a bath and then get dessert. It worked great for us. We are headed back to try WL club level in April!!!