PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge vs. POFQ?

brertosh
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
This is my first post on this site. My family of 4 is planning a visit in June, however I cannot decide between these two resorts. Any reason why 1 is better than the other?? If you have any comments at all, it well help. I am stuck. Price is not a big factor so...... thanks:mickey:

#1donaldfan
02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
:pixie::welcome::pixie:

WL is a deluxe that is very, very beautiful....it's a lodge type of building, very, very large..

PORFQ is a moderate, which is also very beautiful, and it's more of a reosrt type place. It's much, much smaller, more laid back, kinda at a slower pace....

Each is very nice in it's own right....if price is truly no matter, I'd choose WL as it's a deluxe which you may get a few extra perks......

Have fun choosing and I'm sure either choice would be good.!!!!!

#1disneyfan
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I have stayed at POFQ and only visited WL and if I had a choice, it would be WL. They are beautiful resorts and uniquely themed. One major bonus with WL is that there is a boat to MK! Have you taken a virtual tour of the two resorts?

Crow
02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
:welcome:
both are favs of mine
WL is a lot more $ but I love the theme. the Artist Pt restaurant is great. the boat to MK is nice.
POFQ has a good theme too. it doesnt have a sitdown restaurant.
WL is my fav deluxe, POFQ is tied for my fav mod. check out pics etc

baby minnie's mommy
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Although I would definitely stay at POFQ again, if money was not a factor I would choose WL hands down!

It's "all-enclosed" unless you stay in the villas. The rooms are in the same building as the front desk, food, shop, etc., and surround the pool.

Balconies to sit on or just let in fresh air/listen to resort life.

Rooms are decorated more elaborately. (I love the animals carved into the bedposts!) The theming and decor throughout the resort is amazing. The waterfall area by the pool is beautiful.

Boat to MK.

3 levels of dining on premises - Counter service, table service, and a more upscale table service. (Just be sure to make reservations for any table service.)

GrmGrninGost
02-23-2008, 12:25 AM
WL is my favorite resort at WDW. If money is no object , try it! If money is a factor, POFQ is great! As a moderate, it doesn't have everything a deluxe has. But, it is still a very beautiful resort. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll have a great time! Enjoy! :mickey:

brertosh
02-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Thank you everyone for replying. It still will be a tough choice because you make them both sound great, however atleast I know either way I go it will be great. I cant wait!

wdw_bound
02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
We've stayed at both and loved them both. For our last trip, we stayed at WL and ended with a night at POFQ. We enjoyed POFQ, had excellent service and a good room, but the little differences that make WL a deluxe were really noticeable since we moved from one to the other. The WL rooms are larger, have a balcony, nicer bedding, bathroom area is more private, flatscreen vs. regular TV and higher end furnishings (although that is not to say there was anything wrong with those at POFQ).

With little ones, the boat to MK at WL is a MAJOR advantage. The pool area is nicer, and the beach is a great place to sit and watch the Electric Water Pageant.

At POFQ, the boat to DTD is very handy, as parking there is usually a nightmare, but most people go to MK more often than DTD, so the MK boat is still the better one, IMHO. The foodcourt at POFQ has a wider selection, but it is just that, a foodcourt. There is no TS restaurant at POFQ (some will recommend Boatwrights up at POR, but we weren't impressed), and WL has 2.

Both are great - it just depends what you are looking for. DH prefers WL and would choose it every time. The kids and I have a slight WL preference, but would definitely be happy to stay at POFQ (DH is not the disney nut that we are, so he needs a little added incentive).

You'll have a great trip regardless of your resort!

garymacd
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
If money is no object, flip a coin. We love both WL and POFQ. Can't get enough of either.

Another determining factor might be: can you, or can you not, live without beignets?

mrshams
02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
This is what I'm pondering as well - WL or POFQ. My question is, if we choose the woods view at WL, is it really all that loud because of WCC? I'd prefer a quiet area -- that's why I was going to pick POFQ.

Mackflava99
02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
WL is cool , especially for kids-

Even if you don't go tot the park that day- you can ride speedboats, jets ski, fish, rent bikes , go on a wildlife hike, or go to the pool.

We like it because you can walk all the way to Fort Wilderness and go horseback riding and do alot of other fun things.

We are going again in June- its a fun place.

pook@wdw
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
As you can see from my signature, our fave is the WL. Cheaper of all the deluxe spots,the WL has such a relaxing atmosphere, great pool/beach area, wonderful dining options, and outstanding room choices. Now, not that POFQ doesn't have the same features, and it is a wonderful place (especially for beingets), and less expensive. WL is closer to MK, if you have little ones (5 min by boat). And just a short walk away from FW (try to see the HOOP-DEE-DO) We have also found that we seem to spend less time on transportation when we've stayed @ WL as compared to the others we've stayed at, Coincidence?...Could be. Bottom line, though, it doesn't matter where you stay...it's all good as long as you're in WDW !!:mickey:

c&d
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I have to start out by saying that I really didn't like POFQ. It was a nice resort, but I just didn't like the Mardi Gras theme and so for that reason I would chose WL over POFQ. It's a beautiful resort and the boat ride over to the MK is wonderful. Sitting on the beach at night and watching the water parade go by is also nice.

We've also had some of our best meals and service at Artist Point.

mook3y
02-25-2008, 04:59 PM
WELCOME!

We have stayed at both and as others have said, if $ isn't a problem, WL is a deluxe resort and there is a difference.

One of the main differences is that inclimate weather, you do not have to go outside to get to the food court, shops, bar, etc.

So far, WL is the favorite resort we have stayed at.

Checkers
02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
:mickey:We have stayed at both and love them both, however, if I were traveling with children I would definitely choose WL. The moderates have double beds and do not have balconies so this would be a major consideration for us.

My DH & I are going down the end of Apr. and are staying at POFQ because it is our favorite moderate and we like the idea of the boat to DTD (and also the beignets;))!

Have fun!

dteed
02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Here is my vote. WL for sure. WL is a deluxe single building resort. POFQ is a multi bldg resort. Lobby at the WL is amazing. Transportation is much better. No contest.

brertosh
02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone, just booked WL for 10 nights!!!:mickey::number1::mickey:

Tygger7
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
This is what I'm pondering as well - WL or POFQ. My question is, if we choose the woods view at WL, is it really all that loud because of WCC? I'd prefer a quiet area -- that's why I was going to pick POFQ.

I've stayed at both, and will NEVER stay at POFQ again. Since the rooms open to the outside at POFQ, they were MUCH nosier and there always seemed to be people/kids standing outside our door screaming late at night or early in the morning. WL has interior hallways, and while that does not guarantee quiet, I found it to be a 1000% improvement. I also didn't like that it took an hour to get to every park from POFQ. Both the bus & boat service from WL was fantastic...longest wait & ride was 30 mins to & from AK.

If you do book at WL and get a room that's noisy, you can always let the front desk know and they're usually very helpful about moving you to a quieter room. :thumbsup:

mook3y
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone, just booked WL for 10 nights!!!:mickey::number1::mickey:

You will love it!

Search the boards here about WL, you will find lots of great info. Like the Hidden Mickey Hunt, get the sheet from concierge.

Figment104
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
You will have such a wonderful time at that hotel. Since you're going with kids look into requesting a room with bunk beds. Disney can't guarantee it but if you do get them kids seem to love them.
:mickey: