PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-de-doo-EXPENSIVE

disneySLP
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi.We leave for Disney in a few days. We have never been to Hoop-de-doo-Revue and I made advance reservations. The total was$250!!! We usually just smile along as we throw the money around WDW...but I am having a hard time justifying this. Is it worth it guys? Really? Let me know :):mickey::

ytzking
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I too thought about going to see the show this coming August.(Family of 4 ) I remember going to see it back in the early 90's and enjoying it. At that time however, I believe it was 1/3 the price it is today. If I remember correctly, the show was an extended version of the daily show they used to put on in The Diamond Horseshoe. I think we'll skip the show and have a really nice dinner in one of the parks,followed by fireworks.:cool:

BronxTigger
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
The other day, I found my Hoop De Do ticket from 1992. It was a child ticket, but it was $17.

Vinny
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
The Hoop dee doo is worth it to me, especially if you have not seen the show before. You will be entertained from the time you are seated up until the minute you leave. The jokes follow more of a slapstick comedy theme but are still very funny, especially when they pick people from the crowd to participate in the show. I think the Hoop dee doo is a little more expensive because you are not only there for an all you can eat dinner but also for 60-90 minutes of entertainment. It is not a show that we book for every trip but it is a good one to see every 2-3 times we are at WDW. Have fun at the show!!

Mackflava99
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes, it is expensive-
But it is all you can eat, and you get a free photo:)
But in reality you are paying for the show- which is very good-

I agree with the person above- its worth seeing every 2-3 times we go- not every year- hard to justify.

THAT SAID- its usually always sold out, so the quality of food/entertainment has got to be good.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Decent show, but quite honestly none of the dinner shows are worth what they are currently charging for them. I'd go once then never again.

Hull-onian
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
We booked Hoop-Dee-Doo for the first time this year. I thought it would be a fun adventure getting from the resort, to MK, taking the boat over there and going to Pioneer Hall. I think that it is going to be a blast and the kids are gonna love it.:thumbsup:

wedway fan
02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
we're doing it for the first time this year too. when it costs over $30 for two movie tickets, a popcorn and a drink, the cost of the hoop-dee-doo and all you get for it seems more reasonable.

TFrauts
02-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I would say it depends on the age of your kids!! It is a bit expensive to take younger kids, who may not be interested, and may be picky eaters!! You might spend more time entertaining them, than enjoying yourself! However, if your kids are around 5 or up, they should enjoy it!! My husband and I went in January, and can't wait to go back with my grandparents, uncle and brother next september!! It is expensive, but well worth it!! Especially if you get tier 1 seating, IMHO!!

SodaPopMGK
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
My family loves the HDDR, we go every trip. My husband was the fairy the last time we went, which my kids thought was great. Also, if anyone is a picky eater just ask your server and they will substitute something else, my middle son always requests hot dogs and we have never had a problem getting them. I hope you enjoy the show and food as much as my family does. Have a great trip!:mickey:

scottgr
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
My family loves the HDDR. It is to expensive to go every year. But once every few years is a blast. The family will have a great time. :mickey:
Go For it

cgriff
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Do not forsake your decision... Hoop-de-do is worth it!

cgriff

Jared
02-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi.We leave for Disney in a few days. We have never been to Hoop-de-doo-Revue and I made advance reservations. The total was$250!!! We usually just smile along as we throw the money around WDW...but I am having a hard time justifying this. Is it worth it guys? Really? Let me know :):mickey::
First of all, welcome to the boards. You've definitely come to the right place.

Anyway, I am not a proponent of the Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue. It's very expensive, and my family did not really have a great time. There are so many great dining options in Walt Disney World. We didn't think it was worth spending so much money for mediocre food and a hokey performance.

:tasty:

d_m_n_n
02-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Unless it has changed since December, the photo isn't included in the price.

Anyway, I think HDD is definitely worth seeing at least once. Even DH thinks so and he always suffers sticker shock while at WDW. When you figure you are getting an all-you-can-eat meal (which was very good the night we went) along with an evening of entertainment it justifies the cost a little more.

Will we do it on the next trip? Probably not since I've heard the show really doesn't change. But we will do it again for sure someday! :D

**ETA we were in Tier 2 seating since we were on the dining plan and our seats were still pretty good. Maybe that is a place you can save a few bucks.

cgriff
02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
One person's "hokey" is another person's "classic vaudevillian"... If you haven't seen Hoop-dee-do before, then it is worth it to at least see it once.

cgriff

Jared
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
One person's "hokey" is another person's "classic vaudevillian"... If you haven't seen Hoop-dee-do before, then it is worth it to at least see it once.

cgriff
Actually, I agree. I make your argument when people ask if Cinderella's Royal Table is worth the money.

The Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue is a part of Disney lore, and everybody should see the show once. Unfortunately, I think the price is simply too outrageous to recommend it to anyone questioning the price.

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I love Hoop-Dee-Doo, but, I am having a difficult time deciding on it this year because of the cost... I am really trying to limit my dining cost this year, and Hoop-Dee will really put a dent in the dining budget... But, all in all, it is a great show with some decent food....

SgtTigger
02-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT

I have been a few times and we loved the show..... Yes the price is a lot but as said you are getting a show and dinner and drinks. I dont go every trip or every year but we have loved it the times we have gone........
If you have the money I would say go........

:cop: :tigger:

Piglet822
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
DBF and I went for the first time this past December and totally enjoyed it. The food, the show, the atmosphere - it was all worth it.
I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

princessjojo
02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
We're doing it for the first time this year as well. I looked at it like this: all you can eat, entertainent, ulimited beer and all you can tolerate sangria. Plus the kids will have fun as well. Maybe not the best reasons to go, but it works for us...

MickeyChick
02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
We went for the first time in January and absolutely loved it. We'll do it every trip to Disney we make.

We used the DDP and had Category 1 seating, right up against the stage, because we did the last show of the night.

We ate like piglets and laughed our butts off at the hokey songs and jokes. The food was great and so was the sangria.

My four-year-old son smiled more at that show than at Chef Mickeys.

TOTALLY worth it.

Dakota Rose
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
We're considering doing this for our first night meal as a variation from our traditional 'Ohana. Would you say that's a good call? And, is making an ADR here like any other ADR or do I have to pay for our tix when I make the ADR?

Maleficent's Dad
02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
And, is making an ADR here like any other ADR or do I have to pay for our tix when I make the ADR?
We've done the HDDR several times, and if memory serves, you pay the entire bill when you make the ressie. They take your CC number and do charge you - at least that's what they were doing this time last year.

Piglet822
02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
I called and made our ressies and actually picked up our tickets when I checked in at our resort. I think I paid for them when I picked them up because I have the DDE and if you go to the later show there's a discount.
I remember the CM at SSR was a little unsure how to process it and had to call her manager over.

Aunt Terri
02-23-2008, 09:04 AM
We are also doing it for the first time in March.. but we are using our Dining plan.. it takes 2 ts but i hear that it is soooo worth it.... i can't wait

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I can't really belive it, but we're going back for our 3rd time this year!

On our last trip, we met people who've been 10+ times, it is part of their WDW tradition!

For us, DD loves it, it is a fun evening, the food is good, and it is nothing like anything you're going to find around home.

enjoy!

tjstrike
02-23-2008, 11:12 PM
We've done the DDP twice now, the first time we did HDD, the 2nd time we did SOA, HDD was way better. Food was great and show is hilarious !! :thumbsup:

Catzle
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
We did it last year and the whole family really liked it, it was funny and the food wasn't half bad and it's all you can eat with dessert. I do believe it was worth it and a must see and try at least once.

jszczur5
02-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes, it is expensive-
But in reality you are paying for the show- which is very good-

I agree with the person above- its worth seeing every 2-3 times we go- not every year- hard to justify.

THAT SAID- its usually always sold out, so the quality of food/entertainment has got to be good.

Are you sure about the free photo? We went summer/07 and summer/06, and although, photos could be taken, we saw other families paying for them (same as at Chef Mickey's).
The other aspect to this show is the fact that alcohol is served - beer, wine, and I think Sangria. I don't drink anything, but hubby likes the draft beer.