PDA

View Full Version : Lost Toddler Needs

BigRedDad
02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
OK. We are 5 weeks away from going. I have looked for different threads on IDs for kids. My DD would not wear one of the rubber bracelets, so that is out. I am most likely going to do two things: pet ID tag w/ cell numbers and the Who's Shoe ID. I have a few questions that would help me.

1. Pet ID Tag: I will put DD's first name only, my cell phone, DW's cell phone on it. Since she does not like to wear things on her neck or wrist, I want to attach it to her pants via a carabiner.

2. Who's Shoe ID: Would these be too big for a 27 month old? I am concerned this ID will be too big and she will want to fight having it on.

3. Any other ideas on identification?

Thanks for the help.

BronxTigger
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Take a digital photo of her each morning before you leave the hotel. That way, if she does get lost, you have a current photo of her in the clothes she is wearing that day.

#1donaldfan
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Looks like your on the right track.....how old is the oldest?? Just tell the oldest to find a CM and stay put....I'm sure they train the staff to stay in the general area as the "lost parents" will be frantically looking in the last place they saw 'em....?? I'm sure someone else will come along with some great idea's.......:mickey:

#1donaldfan
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I was typing when the bronxtigger came up with the best idea I have EVER seen !!!!!! Now, with that very current photo you have a great start.....most people won't remember exactly what they have on, even if they saw 'em just seconds ago.....bronxtigger, what a great idea !!!!!!!!!!

BigRedDad
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Yes, I will take her digital picture each day. I am also thinking about the "lost" usb program as well. My concern with the Who's Shoes is that it will be too big for her shoe.

kakn7294
02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
My sister started using the "Who's Shoes" on my nephew's shoes when he was about 2 1/2 to 3 years old and they fit just fine. He loves them and knows exactly what they are for. I always tell my DD's to go to the nearest attraction or shop and look for the CM there. Although it seems that your DD is a bit young for that, it still wouldn't hurt to emphasize the point - it's amazing what kids will learn and remember when pushed into action. The digital photo idea is great. My girls carry a bag with a business card that has their ID info on it - same thing, first name, our names, my cell phone number, and our resort (in case it's just the bag that's lost). When they were little (about 3 yo), they liked a fanny pack to carry around little toddler essentials - a small toy, sunglasses, snacks, etc and the card went right in there with their stuff - they felt independent being able to carry their own "stuff". I print the card from my computer and laminate it with the peel-n-stick stuff to protect it from liquid damage. Another great trick is to dress everyone in matching colors for the day - that way, if everyone in your group is wearing red shirts, you can more easily remember what color DD is wearing.

wendy*darling
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I see your point, and agree that they may be too long for a toddler's shoe.

The idea is good though.
We have used a shoe-ID that you stick in the sole in the past, but that requires someone taking the shoe off to find the info. Better when they are older and know to take off their shoe when needed.

Would you consider making your own smaller tag for her shoe? Maybe just a laminated piece of colored cardstock large enough to hold a cell phone number, but small enough to not bother her.

I like the fanny pack idea (we always did that when our kids were younger)- and the laminated card could go there or on the shoe.

Also, with the dog tag and carabiner. I would suggest using a ball chain type of connector instead of the carabiner. Her little fingers will 1) play with the carabiner, and 2) get pinched by the carabiner more than once. Then she won't wear it any more. Just a thought.

Kidsmom
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
We take a picture every morning also of the kids. We also just slip a piece of paper in their pockets with our name, cell numbers, resort and room number. (last trip they were 4,6,7,9 yo)

I would use something on their shoes for the younger ones so it is obvious for someone to find the info if they are lost.

When I run I have a tag that goes on my shoe. You can find these at Fleet Feet or many other running stores.

Good to be safe.

kakn7294
02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Another thought - you said she wouldn't wear the bracelet, but would she wear it as an anklet? Her shoes should make it difficult to get it off if she's so inclined to play with it. As far as the pinched fingers in the carabiner, we had a carabiner that "locked" - it had an extra piece that screwed shut over the opening so it couldn't accidentally be opened - no pinched fingers and it won't be easily removed and lost by a toddler. You could also use a strong string long enough to loop the ID tag through it.

Jasper
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
How about the ages old method of sewing a piece of cloth inside the waistband of your child's clothes with basic name and telephone number. I know that when we have our annual safety meeting in preparation for our annual 4-H fair the police always remind us to check for that if we have lost children. It may not be high tech but sometimes the oldies are still goodies.

momof3+twins
02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't think it is too big. The point is thatbeing big, a cast member may be more likely to see it. But the velcro is easily removed so I bet she would take it off in the stroller and toss it, to be lost. Have you seen the bears that attach to the shoes. They are like an alarm. You have the part that sets the alarm off. It ranges about 150 feet.

I have twins that will be 31 months on our trip. And I have a 5 year old that can't speak so I am trying to find id's also. I have traveled in the past with my older kids when they were really young. I think that a two year old should just remain in the stroller except to ride the rides and stand in line. Don't let her walk through the parks and you should be okay. But, it doesn't hurt to be safe anyway!!

momof3+twins
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Child proximity alarms would be a good search for the bears that attach to the shoes.

momof3+twins
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I just found some neat tattoos that have a cute design plus say if found please help me with a place to write the phone number.

thrillme
02-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Couldn't you just tie a pet id tag to her shoe. They're not too big for my cat...they're not to big for the shoe and they're customizable and noticeable.

BigRedDad
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Pet tags are one thing I plan to do. I just wanted to have a backup as well in case it falls or or gets lost too.

Thank you for all of the feedback. I think I know what I am going to do now.

kathiep
02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I just found some neat tattoos that have a cute design plus say if found please help me with a place to write the phone number.

This sounds like a great idea.

Can you PM the site to me??

vamaggie
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Another thought - you said she wouldn't wear the bracelet, but would she wear it as an anklet? Her shoes should make it difficult to get it off if she's so inclined to play with it.

WE did this with our 4 yr old-the rubber bracelet was too big for her arm. She never messed with it on her ankle.

How about the ages old method of sewing a piece of cloth inside the waistband of your child's clothes with basic name and telephone number.

This may not be the best as it requires a CM to remove (or mess with) the child's clothing and that may violate polices about touch.

Don't stress too much and enjoy your trip!

Buttercup
02-22-2008, 07:44 PM
We use those velcro "ID Inside" bracelets. They're velcro and adjustable. We just put them around our son's ankle and he didn't pick at it the way he would if it was on his arm.
Just google "ID Inside Bracelets" and you'll find them. They're reusable and waterproof too so they can wear them at the waterparks.

#1disneyfan
02-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I think that it is great that you all have such great ideas. I have to be honest and say that I never thought of it when we first took our DD, 4 at the time, to WDW. She was clingy child anyway, so I wasn't terribly worried, plus I only have the one.

Two summers ago I found a lost child in AK. She was wandering around crying. I felt absolutely horrible for her. She was about 3. She wouldn't come with me, which I was fine with, I was encouraging her to walk towards the cast member in a little hut type shop. I walked behind her and kept telling her to walk towards the lady in the store and that she would help her find her "lost" mommy. Once we entered the store, I explained the situation and the CM radioed in that she had a lost child. I stayed with the CM and the child and within minutes the "lost" mommy came running towards us. I think she was more scared and crying more than the child. I felt so horrible for them both. I understand how scary it can me.

I just wanted to share the information to let you know what great parents you are making sure you take all the necessary precautions. We never even got to that point with this child because luckily her mother was not far behind her.

Safe traveling to you all! :mickey:

Dakota Rose
02-22-2008, 11:02 PM
When we were there last, we saw a family with 2 small toddlers. They had put 2"x4" labels on each child's back that contained child's name, parents' names, parents' cell phone #s, and hotel name. I think they might have also had any medical info like allergies or asthma. The used a 10 pt font so it could really only be read if you were crouched down right next to the child.

Dakota Rose
02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Now that I think about it, I think they also included a designated meeting spot for each spot on the tag.

BrerGnat
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I once read about parents who wrote their cell numbers in permanent marker on the back of their child's hand during the trip. It seemed like a great idea to me...it won't come off in the pool or anything, at least for a few days and it would be easy for anyone to see.

I see lost kids at DL ALL the time. Most of the time, a CM with a radio swoops in within seconds when a child is hanging out alone. They do a great job handling lost kids. Plus, every park has a designated spot for "Lost parents" to go. Just make sure YOU know where those spots are, so if you do get separated from your kids, you end up at the right place to claim them. ;)

Alternatively, you as a parent can find a CM with a radio and they can usually find the OTHER CM with the radio who has your child, so you can find each other.

MickeyChick
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
We were really low-tech, I guess. I made avery labels that said "If Found call XXX-XXX-XXXX) with my cell number. I struck them on my sons' shirts every morning, near the collar in the back. The print was small and it didn't include names or anything, just my cell number.

We never lost the boys though, so I can't tell you how it would have worked. A couple of CMs noticed them when we were getting onto rides and said it was a good idea.

iammrsnesbitt
02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I guess this is pretty similar to other ideas, but last year for my 3 year old, I bought a set of alphabet and number beads and made a cute beaded bracelet that said "Call Mom" xxx-xxx-xxxx (my cell number). My daughter liked it because it was colorful and fancy and she enjoyed wearing it. It was on stretchy cord, so sometimes she wore it as an anklet, too. It was waterproof, for the pool/waterpark and since it is really lightweight, we still throw it on her whenever we go somewhere crowded. I might try to make a manly version for my son for this summer's trip (he'll be 21m). Great ideas here!