PDA

View Full Version : Attention golfers...! Which course should I play?

SignguyTom
02-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Not sure where to post this…

:golf::golf::golf::golf:

I am planning on playing a round of golf on our next trip. I bought a travel case for my clubs and everything. My question is: Which course to play? I am not a good golfer by any stretch. I’ll shoot right around 100+/- for a round most of the time.

My first choice would be to play the Magnolia course simply because of the Mickey bunker on the 6th hole, and I want a picture of it of my own. The downside with that course is that water comes into play on, like, 14 holes or something. Hmmm… As previously stated, I am not a good golfer. This could be a problem.

I would appreciate any advice as to which course to play. I am out there to have fun and relax (can it happen while golfing?) while the rest of the clan is at a water park. Feel free to comment as you see fit.

TIA!

:golf::golf::golf::golf:

Maleficent's Dad
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Tom,

The Palm & Magnolia courses are tough as they're the PGA courses these days. Both play tough, and both are the most sought after by us "weekend warriors" who want to play where the pros play.

Eagle Pines is no long available to the public. It's been bought by the Four Seasons resort, and no longer playable to anyone. Shame, as it was a great layout.

I love Osprey Ridge - great design, great course that brings you into the "wilderness" of WDW.

I (the lone voter on your pole) chose Lake Buena Vista - I'll explain:

LBV is the most "friendly" course of all the WDW courses. It is kept up just as well as the others, but is much more forgiving. Sure there is lots of water, but the water only comes into play if you tempt fate. In other words, if you are a "safe golfer" and manage your game well, the water isn't a as much a factor as if you "go for it." For example, #7 at LBV is an 'island green' par 3. Unlike so many of the island green holes out there, this one is generous. The green is HUGE with lots of room for error. It's only a wedge into the hole, and unless you miss badly, you'll be on the putting surface.

LBV is probably my favorite (I've played them all except for the Oak Trail walking course). I love them all for different reasons. On LBV you'll see the Treehouse Villas up close, and meander through OKW and SSR; plus you'll also pass by FOFQ. It's a lot of fun.

If you get out in the morning, you'll see plenty of deer and other wild-life. It's really fun. I've seen gators just about every round; sometimes you have to really look for them, however. All the courses have animals - Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines seemed to have the most.

Golf at WDW is really a great time. The greens are (usually) very firm and true. The fairways and tee-boxes are well maintained. The "rough" is never pleasant, and often overgrown with weeds - it actually looks dried out and burnt, but it's a tough play if you're not on the fairway.

You can't go wrong on any of the courses - Really. But for someone looking for a decent round without overly difficult conditions, head for LBV. The Palm and Magnolia DO PLAY tough! They are challenging.

Wherever you do decide to play, good luck and enjoy! Let us know how it goes.

PM me if you want more info. I have some other websites that can give you more info on the courses.

SignguyTom
02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Excellent info, Frank! That is exactly what I was looking for. In 2006, I noticed the golf course winding around the waterway between POR & DD. It looked awesome and I was envious of the folks out there. I had pretty much decided at that time that I was going to make golf a 'tradtion' when visiting WDW. I think I will start with the LBV course, and work my way up from there. Thanks a bunch for your help!

CleveSJM
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
LBV is a great course. My favorite. It hosted the pro's from the 70's thru some of the 90's. You'll be walking in the same steps as Nicklaus, Payne Stewart, and Tiger. We stayed in the Treehouse Villas back in Oct of '90 and it was great to have all the pro's walk right by out front door. Great memories and definitely the best course for the casual player.

Check that - LBV was just part of it from '82 to '97. So you still get Payne and Tiger, but maybe not Jack. And Larry Nelson. He's pretty good.