PDA

View Full Version : Return to Tokyo Disney

Melanie
02-20-2008, 06:00 PM
The Bounds are headed back to Tokyo for some much needed vacation and Disney time.

:mickey3: :sumo: :mickey3:

Dates: February 24 - March 1

Cast of characters:
Melanie - 38
James - 38
Josh - 9
Ryan - 8

This is the first time my hubby has had a chance to take any leave since he returned from his deployment in November. After a little scare that we wouldn't be able to leave the island this weekend, we've been given the go to head out to Tokyo on Sunday morning.

This is the exact week we went to Tokyo last year. A little experience goes a long way, especially in a 'foreign' place. We're going into this trip with a better understanding of how things work at Tokyo Disney, and I'm sure that will be to our advantage.

Last year we spent the entire week at Disney and failed to see the other wonderful things Tokyo has to offer. :blush: We plan to rectify that this year. Our first night we are staying at the military lodge in downtown Tokyo, and then moving out to the Sheraton (where we stayed last time) at Disney on Monday evening. We'll stay through Saturday and likely have four days in the parks.

The only big attraction closed will be Big Thunder Mountain, whereas last year we missed Pirates, Space Moutain and Indiana Jones at DisneySea. We're very excited about these 'new' attractions. And I can't wait to step foot in DisneySea again! And the popcorn! :popcorn:

I wish I could report 'live', but the internet connection is iffy. We'll see. :)

mickey&missy
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Have a great trip!! I can't wait to hear your trip report!

Tink1
02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
:popcorn: OH! the popcorn! :popcorn:

I am jealous, I so want to return.

Have fun and enjoy the Sheraton's bathroom. It was the BEST bathroom :cloud9:

Oh, and the kid says "if you go for ramen, go to a noodle shop down a dark alley. Those are the ones that have the best. The ones on the main streets are for tourists :confused: "

nanc

Melanie
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Have fun and enjoy the Sheraton's bathroom. It was the BEST bathroom :cloud9:

Oh yeah - how could I forget the incredible bathroom???? Now I'm really excited! :D

And I'll remember the ramen tip. Thanks Nanci! :)

pogo
02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Enjoy your trip ! :thumbsup:

Will you get a chance to spend some time on the Ginza ?? :shop: :spend:

Some of my favorite memories come from there ! :D

Carol
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Have a wonderful time, Mel. :sumo:

You all so deserve a vacation. I cannot wait to hear all about it. Take lots of pictures. :photo:

I'll miss you. :hug:

:sadwave:

SgtTigger
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Have a great trip...........

Hey Mel dont look for me this trip..... I wont be in Toyko......... :D

I am sure you will have a great time.......

:cop: :tigger:

ChipnDaleGal
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I am so glad that you guys got the "green light" for your trip, Mel. I know you are all going to have such a great time. I hope you get to see a lot of new and interesting things. Can't wait to hear all about it and see all those new :chip: and :dale: pictures! You will be missed, but I'm so happy that you will be having a fun and carefree week. :hug:

spb
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Loved your reports last year...looking forward to new ones! Have a great trip!

BrerGnat
02-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Oh yea!!! I loved reading your trip report from your last trip to Tokyo Disney, and seeing all the pictures. Take lots! And have a great time. :mickey:

Melanie
02-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Will you get a chance to spend some time on the Ginza ?? :shop: :spend:

I do believe we are headed to that part of town. I'm leaving the Tokyo portion of the planning to my hubby. ;)

Take lots of pictures. :photo:

You know we always do, plus we've got a new camera that needs breaking in.

Hey Mel dont look for me this trip..... I wont be in Toyko......... :D

Oh come on Bret, it's only about a 15 hour flight from where you are. You're up for it, right? :plane: What am I saying? I'm not even up for the 3 hour flight. :unsure:

Thanks for the trip wishes everyone! :mickey:

vizsla
02-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Have a great time and a safe trip.

RedheadWriter
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
VEry much looking forward to your trip repor:party:ts~

TikiGoddess
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I am very much looking forward to your reports! Loved reading your last ones about a place I will most likely never get to see...

Congrats on the time with your hubby. Make sure to thank him for us for his hard work and sacrifice in Iraq!!

TikiG

DizNee143
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
hope you and your family have a great time..glad to hear you guys are able to go!! cant wait to hear all about it!! i really enjoyed reading about your trip from last year!! your so lucky you get to expericence that disney..i know many people will never make it there..and you guys are on your second trip there!! have a blast!! :mickey:

Mufasa
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm glad to see that you got the ok to go on your trip as planned :) Have a great time in Tokyo and at the resort!

Tokyo is a fascinating and dynamic city- an unusual blend of the traditional with the modern and it definitely can be a bit overwhelming at times.

There are some great spots though that offer a pleasant break from the often frantic pace of Tokyo life like Ueno park, which is really beautiful during cherry blossom season.

There are a few traditions that I try to work into my schedule during any trip to Tokyo like a stop in Asakusa and visit to Senso-ji temple in order to get a fortune and hope it brings me good luck on my trip (it's sort of like if you're in Rome and making a stop at Trevi fountain to toss in a coin to ensure your return) and the best jet-lag cure for a long flight from the states is the freshest sushi for breakfast at Tsukiji market at about 6 in the morning.

Then there are places in Tokyo like the Lion beer hall in Ginza- it was built in the 1930's that I think is run or sponsored by Sapporo and completely looks like it was transplanted from Germany with tile and wood panels on the walls and a menu heavy with sausages which add to the effect of thinking you're in Bavaria- not at all what you would expect to find in Japan until the crowd erupts in a sort of mass karaoke thing (yes, it is probably as strange and bizarre a scene as you picture it would be).

I'm sure the boys would enjoy Akihabara which is the place to go for electronics and gadgets.

Then you have the incredible (expensive) shopping in Ginza or these days Roppongi Hills that can easily put Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue to shame.

It's definitely worth stopping into one of the traditional department stores if you get a chance, like Takashimaya or Mitsukoshi and their depachika (basement food halls that serve everything you could imagine- especially interesting are the delicate wagashi aka Japanese confectionary which is beautiful but also a bit of an acquired taste)

Shibuya/Hachiko crossing is the world's busiest pedestrian crossing- every 3 minutes it's a crazy flurry of activity with a backdrop that outshines Times Square. Just don't try and arrange to meet up with someone by the Hachiko statue because that's where everybody plans to meet up (it's sort of like saying, oh let's meet up at the Partners statue in the hub in the Magic Kingdom).

Hachiko is this legendary dog from around the 1920s to 1930s that was really loyal to it's owner and every day would show up at the station there to greet his master. Eventually the old man passed away, but every day on schedule the dog continued to show up outside the station in vain for seven years until it eventually passed on in 1935 and the story made headlines around Japan so they put up a statue in the dog's honor.

If you're looking for a great way to view see the city (and the bonus of it being absolutely free)- the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings in Shinjuku both have observation decks on the 45th floor that give you possibly the best view of the city. On a clear day you can easily see out to Mt. Fuji.

I believe that public transportation is half-off for kids under 12, so you might want to check that out if you should decide to brave the subway lines around Tokyo which really is the best way to get around- it can be confusing with all the different lines even for Japanese from outside of Tokyo as it's quite easy to miss sign in english directing you to the right platform but things for foreign visitors have really improved ever since Japan co-hosted the World Cup.

Bethis26fan
02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I hope you have a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Melanie
02-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Shibuya/Hachiko crossing is the world's busiest pedestrian crossing- every 3 minutes it's a crazy flurry of activity with a backdrop that outshines Times Square.

This is where I want to go!!!!

Thanks for all the great tips, Mufasa. I'm thinking I just can't do sushi at 6am though. :sick: We'll be sure to tell you all about it when we see you next week! :thumbsup:

princessgirls
02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Have a great time!

A little taste of home will await you in Toyko Disney.

Enjoy your time with your family.

Looking forward to your reports.

Julie:mickey:

gauvin4
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Oh yea!!! I loved reading your trip report from your last trip to Tokyo Disney, and seeing all the pictures. Take lots! And have a great time. :mickey:

Me too!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!
Take lots of pictures.

MegaDisney
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Have a wonderful trip!

Tell the boys Mr. Bryant is jealous!

Looking forward to the report when you get back!

2Epcot
02-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I really enjoyed reading your Tokyo Disney trip report last year. Looking forward to hearing about the latest trip and seeing your great pictures. :mickey:

Jimenyfan
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Have a great trip. Looking forward to reading your trip reports.:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
02-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Can't wait to hear all about this trip and see your fabulous pictures. Travel safely!! Enjoy!:mickey:

faline
02-24-2008, 05:14 PM
You must already be there! Hope you're having a wonderful time!

offwego
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I hope your having a great time Mel!!!

:party::mickey::party:

DisneyorBust
02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Hope that you are enjoying your Tokyo vacation! I, too, am looking forward to your reports, I really enjoyed the ones from last year.

disneydrmr
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Hope your trip there was great and that you are having a very magical time! Looking forward to reading all about it! :mickey:

Melanie
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
We're back! It was a fun trip, and I'll be reporting soon. I just need to rest for awhile. :sleepin:

Carol
03-02-2008, 12:39 PM
:welcome: back, Mel! :hug:

Wake up! :nudge:

We want details and photos. :fresh:

ncscgirl2005
03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Terrific! Can't wait to read your reports.

tinkerbell04
03-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Welcome back!!! Are you rested yet:)