PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Luggage

vamaggie
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
This may be a dumb question but here goes. I generally try to pack light and use carry on whenever possible vs checking luggage. We are planning a 4 night cruise is 09 and I am not sure if I can get everything in a carry on suitcase. If I use a large suitcase, how does it work with checked baggage(on the way in and out)? We will probably get a towncar from MCO to the port.

Ed
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
If you're going to use a towncar instead of DCL bus transportation, you will handle your own luggage. You'll have to pick it up at MCO's baggage claim area on the second floor and carry it down one floor to where the towncar will pick you up. On arrival at the ship, you'll turn it over to the porters stationed outside, and won't see it again until you're in your stateroom.

Personally, I'd recommend against using one large suitcase. Storage in the staterooms is pretty limited. You might want to consider using a few smaller, soft-sided bags that can either be "nested" inside each other, or can be folded and stored in a small space. Depending on the size of these bags, you might be able to carry them onto the plane instead of checking them. Check your airline's website for size limits.

If you DO check your bag(s), I'd strongly suggest you carry one small bag containing any medications, your keys, your ID and travel papers, and perhaps a change of clothes or your swimsuits. You might find that you want to change before your primary bag(s) arrive in your stateroom.

Leaving the ship at the end of the cruise, you'll be given tags and told to put your bags in the hallway outside your stateroom the night before you get back to port. They'll be collected by crew members, and you won't have access to them until after you leave the ship. You'll find them inside the terminal near the US Customs area. Again, important items such as meds, keys, ID, etc. should be kept with you in a small bag.

vamaggie
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the response. I never really thought about using smaller, softer pieces but I guess I assumed there would be luggage storage space. Glad to know there may not be. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

adoptionislove
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow Ed!!

Your advice is great!!! We are going March 20th! And I was planning on 1 big bag each! I am so glad I read this.

Michelle

DisneyDudet
02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
To store our luggage (and we had large bags), we put them under the bed. We also put one in our closet and used it at a dirty clothes hamper. We went on the 7 night so there was more to be worn.

On my 4 night in 2002, I didn't check in bags, and I didn't have enough stuff. Between dinners (which you can manage with two sets of pants and two tops or so) and lounging clothes and other things (plus getting stuff home!), I wished for a larger bag.

TammiMcMan
02-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Just want to concur with Morgan, that you can definitely fit a larger bag under the bed. If we travel with the kids, I do find it easier to have just one large bag as opposed to multiple carryons. Definitely check with your airline as to their current carryon restrictions as well. We travelled recently and the airline had become very strict on how many bags each person could bring on with them.