PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green

aimeewvdisney
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok we are really getting down to planning and need to make some decisions. I just found out my husband qualifies to stay at Shades of Green....but I need some opinions before I book. From what I can tell it is a very nice place at a great rate and location. What do all you pro's or people who have stayed think. Is it easy to catch the monorail at the Poly...I'm told it is right across the street.
If we do decided to book what area of the resort should we book? My two kids love to swim. We will have a rental car..(going to the beach/Nasa on first part of trip...should we drive to the parks? Any info. greatly appreciated! By the way we can get a pool view roon for $129 total a night....that sounds great!!

IloveDisney71
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I haven't stayed at Shades yet but my DH's BF has and absolutely loved it. In fact, we are talking about planning a vacation together (2 couples) and that is where we are planning on staying. I don't have first-hand info. but my DH's BF had nothing but positive things to say about his experience there.

BronxTigger
02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I stayed at SOG in 2006. If you click on my name and go to my "homepage" I have an album of SOG photos.

The Poly IS right across the street. However, SOG is set back a little bit off of said street, so the walk will be roughly 10-20 minutes. There is a paved path and some shade, so it's not a bad walk. Some people have mentioned a "Shady Shuttle" (golf cart) that can take you to the street, but I never saw it.

I believe there is a $5/day parking fee at SOG, but on the grand scheme of things that is not a huge deal.

I don't think you need to pay extra for a pool view unless you really want to see the pool. We actually had a view of the small, Magnolia pool, and it may have been an upgrade because we paid for a standard room. If you are on the 1st floor you may be able to access the pool from your room but otherwise you would have to walk out a normal hallway exit so the extra cost may not be worth it. *edit* Thanks gremlin for clarifying this! (see later posts)*

SOG is not run by Disney so it does not have the same "feel" as a typical Disney resort. However, you cannot beat the value that SOG offers. The moderates are at least $20 more a night than the pool view room you are considering.

Good luck deciding!

Von-Drake
02-20-2008, 02:06 PM
We have stayed at the Shades of Green a couple of times and have enjoyed it every time. The walk to the Poly is only between 5 and 10 mins. and well worth the convenience. You do kind of miss the Disney themes in the hotel, but that is about the only thing different, we still find the service to be great.

Dsnywrldlvr
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
We have also stayed several times at SOG. The price of the room and the savings on tickets were very helpful!:thumbsup:
The only down side to using the monorail at the Poly for us was the walk back to SOG. It is slightly uphill and my Mom(60s) was extremely tired by the time that we got back. The buses to the parks are not Disney buses and the schedule was not nearly as often as Disney so I might consider driving to AK and MGM(take monorail to both Epcot and MK).

Crow
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Ill be there for 2 nights again next week.
the rooms are among the biggest in WDW. buffet is a good deal. Ive walked from Poly to here, around 10 min. If going to MK/Epcot walk to Poly or T&T and use the monorail. drive if going further. the buses arent bad but dont run as often & dont leave you off as close to the parks as WDW buses.
no tax is also a plus

gremlin
02-21-2008, 02:42 AM
As far as the rooms, a poolview room will guarantee you a room on the ground floor facing one of the pools. These are located in the "old" section of the hotel. There are 2 pools. One is the "quiet" pool. Normal rectangular shaped pool. Nothing special and can get just as crowded as the main pool. There is a hot tub closeby. The other pool is not far away from that one. It is near Evergreens. This pool is shaped like Mickeys head (since the hotel was originally a Disney hotel). There is also a kiddie pool beside it. Be forewarned that even though this used to be a Disney hotel, the pools do not have slides and are not themed in any way other than the one pool being shaped like Mickey's head. They are just a standard pool like you would find at the Holiday Inn, but it is refreshing just the same and at the end of a long hot day, do you really care what the pool looks like?

It is possible to get a standard room that faces the pool. This is not an upgrade. You will be on the upper floors. The reason you pay more for the poolview ground floor is the convenience of being able to step out of the sliding glass door to gain access to the pool without having to deal with elevators/stairs/halls to get outside.

Transportation can seem a bit overwhelming, but if you know your options, it is a breeze.

There are SOG buses. They all run on a regular schedule. The one to the TTC runs every 15 minutes. I feel this is the best option in most cases. From the TTC, you just grab a WDW bus to get to AK or MGM. However, SOG does have a couple more buses that do go to MGM, AK, and the water parks. True, these buses run once an hour. Each bus takes you to either MGM and one of the water parks or AK and one of the water parks. The buses do stay on schedule, so if you miss the bus, just take a WDW bus back to either POLY (and walk) or back to TTC and catch the SOG bus from there. The bus stops at the parks drop you off in odd locations with the exception of I think it is Blizzard Beach, which actually has the prime spot #1 in front of the WDW buses.

If you want to go to the POLY it is possible to take the Shady Shuttle. It is a golf cart located where the guys help you with luggage outside the lobby. All you have to do is go there and request it. They will take you to the end of the driveway and from there, you can walk across the street to POLY. There is no charge for the service, but tips are the norm. The shuttle only runs during the day (last I checked) and there is no service on the way back from POLY unless luck runs your way and someone was just dropped off.

Transportation is not an issue for us since we have so many options and have backup plans depending on the time. We also have never stayed at a WDW hotel to experience daily WDW bus service from that aspect, but we have done some hotel hopping from the parks to check out the resorts and some of the hotels are pretty far from the parks and the buses can be terribly crowded and at times, the WDW buses did not arrive for quite a while (definitely more than 20 minutes at Carribean). Again, just our random experience. I feel no matter where you stay, you will find pros and cons with the buses. I think SOG just gives you more options in the event there is a bus problem. From SOG you can walk to POLY. From many other WDW hotels, your only option is the bus.

Hope this helps.

JohnnyJayhawk
02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
By far the best value on property. Huge rooms with two queen beds and a little sofa-sleeper, plus no taxes on the room. As stated, the walk to the Poly isn't bad. If we don't feel like walking, we catch the ride to the end of the property, and you can call the hotel and the golf cart can pick you up there as well (if there is still daylight).

We've never actually used the buses there. We just go to the monorail, or drive our rental car since parking at the parks is free with your SoG parking pass.

Personally, I like the new side of the resort more since it is closer to the garage, which is nice if you're doing any driving to the parks.

wdwfansince75
02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
SoG is about the best deal on property. The rooms are larger than most Deluxes, and well equipted. They have two queen beds, and a day bed. Rooms have coffee makers (advise you to bring your own coffee) and small refrigerators. They also have a small table and chairs, and those with patios have a table and chairs outside as well. Bathrooms are divided, with a seperate room for tub/shower and toilet, and double sink with lots of counterspace in the other room.

Transportation is reliable. On our trips, we normally walk to Poly for the monorail for MK or EPCOT, and use the once per hour buses to AK and Studios....just takes planning. Returning from MK or EPCOT, we usually get off at TTC and catch the bus to SoG. Never wait more than 10-15 minutes at TTC.

We have always found the staff to be courteous and competent. The buffet is well priced, and the selections vary from day to day. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffets. The dinner buffets are similar in quality to Ryans or Old Country Buffet, without the wider selections.

The grounds are well kept. There are no bad views. We prefer the new wing, but all rooms are well worth the price. We usually request ground floor of the new wing. Prices are based on rank, not on view.

Even when we have been there during busy periods, and even when the resort is at or near capacity, there never seems to be a crowd at Shades of Green. The only time we had to wait for the buffet is when visiting just as they opened for dinner. Never experienced long lines for check in or out, nor for customer services.

gremlin
02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Prices are based on rank, not on view.

This is only slightly incorrect.

You do pay based on rank, however the only "view" that you pay extra for is the ground floor pool view rooms.
They used to be the same price as all the rest, but I guess they realized people were requesting them (for ease of sliding out the glass door to gain access to the pool) and they could make money off it. The other rooms facing the pools have no extra charge.

Marilyn Michetti
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
SOG is an amazing resort. Besides all that has already been said, there is no tax on tickets, meals, or the huge, clean, quiet room.

You have SOME of the ammenities of a Disney Resort, ie: package delivery, EMH's, and use of Disney transportation. However, you can't have the dining plan or the MYW baggage pick-up. (Is it still called MYW)? Also, the theming is not 24/7 Disney at SOG. You can hear the train whistle, and see the fireworks, but other than that, you could be in the Pocono's. You see deer and wild turkeys running around, those beautiful golf courses, and it's soooooooo quiet and peaceful.

The transportation has gotten a bad rep. IMHO. The busses leave EXACTLY on time - if you're on it, it goes - if you're not, it still goes.

The pools are lovely, there's a small playground, a hot tub, and a gym. You can tell by my signiture that I'm sold on SOG. We had to stay at the Contemporary while they were renovating, and it was like "slumming" compared to what we were used to.

We'll be going back in Dec. Made the reservations last night, so if you're there Dec. 7 - 14, look me up.:thumbsup:

Von-Drake
02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
We had to stay at the Contemporary while they were renovating, and it was like "slumming" compared to what we were used to.

I do like staying at the Shades of Green when we go with my parents, much more than off property or the Values. Our ressies were moved to the Contemporary too while the SOG was expanding but there is no way I would consider it "slumming". While the SOG is a great place I still find it not as great as the Deluxe resorts.

pixiesmimi
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
We stayed at the SoG years ago and had a very big room with two queen beds and a day bed. We actually had 5 and a small child staying in one room with plenty of room. I think we drove to the parks every day. It was very quiet with very good food. We have tried the last two years to stay there but were told we had to book a year in advance to get a room. I think you will like it.

Sylvia
02-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree with everything that has already been said. Even though SoG isn't a Disney resort, the SoG staff makes you feel very welcome. I've stayed there numerous times both before and after the expansion and I've always been satisfied. The rooms are huge. Each room has a safe and a small refrigerator - at no charge. Housekeeping is great; my rooms have always been spotless. No towel animals, though.

Although I have stayed at my favorite Disney resorts (CBR, POP, ASMu) multiple times, every so often I stay at SoG. I'll be there 17 May - 2 Jun.

Because I was curious, I checked what it would cost to stay at POP (AP discount 5 nights, regular rate 9 nights) and it'll be cheaper at SoG.

I think this was already mentioned, but just in case. If you want to be close to the pools, you should request a room in the original section.

Have fun. :thumbsup: