PDA

View Full Version : Driving - What Auto Breakdown Items Do You Take

goofyfan4466
02-20-2008, 07:08 AM
My Family Is Driving Down In April,it's Been 2 Long Years Since Our Last Trip.we Drive A 1997 Ford Expedition That Runs Great But Has 94,000 Miles On It.we Have Aaa But Have Never Used Them.we Drive All Night About 12 Hours Down I-95 To Savannah Georgia.i Usually Take A Lot Of Tools But Never Needed Them.has Anybody Had To Use Aaa For Repairs Or Towing ? What Tools Or Items Do You Pack In Your Vehicle For Your Trip ? Also Is There A Lot Of Construction On I-95 Right Now ? Thanks In Advance For Any And All Info.

merlinmagic4
02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
We're driving down, too! We are driving from Massachusetts and we are renting a van (550.00) because I am afraid my 1999 Dodge Caravan wouldn't make it. I did make sure the rental had roadside assistance but am also considering joining AAA just in case.

tink'72
02-20-2008, 08:30 AM
We drive every year and the only thing I make sure I do each year is renew my AAA. I've never needed it but it feels good knowing that if I did need something I have the membership. I have a 2008 Town and Country so I'm not expecting anything to go wrong ....but you never know!

AAA is also good for the hotels on the way down. Most if not all of them have the AAA discount. You can also use your AAA card at Downtown Disney and I believe you save 10% off of your purchases!

LarryBoy
02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I try to keep a tire pump (air compressor) and jumper cables in the car. Much else I have to let someone else fix. A good tire iron/wrench can be handy. The ones that come with your spare are usually pretty stinky.

kakn7294
02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
My AAA card, cell phone, and charger. We also have a basic multi-tool in the Jeep as well as a kit that has jumper cables, fix-a-flat (I guess you can't get that anymore?), and the container can hold about a gallon of water or gas and comes with a funnel. We're driving too - in August.

princessjojo
02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
The AAA card, cell phone, and my DH. They are the only tools I ever take when I drive. DH is just there for his ego since he thinks he can fix everything.

tinklover
02-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Also Is There A Lot Of Construction On I-95 Right Now ? Thanks In Advance For Any And All Info.

we just got back about 2 1/2 weeks ago from south florida and we dorve , yes there is a lot of construction going on. i am south of Delaware but i believe they are doing some construction and georgia has a lot going on as well has Jacksonvill still ugh. i can not wait for that to be done in jacksonville estimated time is sometime in 2011. We have road side assistance with the jeep so we usually just have the tire iron and spare and our cell phones and chargers when we go. we are driving back down to do Disney in June(106 days):thumbsup:

MsMin
02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I only take the necessities b/c w/ a Maxima and most often 4 of us, especially riding back it's snug.
I always have my cables and a flashlight, check my jack. But I do a little preventatives before leaving. Get an oil change, check the fluids, check the tires, many times I've bought tires before the trip. My car has similar mileage as yours and I've had several Nissan's so I keep my ears open before hand. So many times before the alternator goes out I've heard that high pitch noise and they only last about 90K.
:blush: We had car trouble on the last drive down. I had the car checked out, even got my new inspection sticker and about 15 miles out of town it started to pour and the headlights came on and I noticed the lights went out on the radio and it wasn't working:confused:-- I couldn't get the radio to work and started to worry about something electrical going like a short or something. When I turned the headlights off the radio came back on.. this really worried me. When nightfall came I realized that someone must have hit the dashboard light control and that was the only problem :blush: The volume was down on the radio and we couldn't see the indicator w/o the lights on. It sure had me worried that I might be losing the alternator or something. I guess I'm anticipating the alternator going out on me at the most inopportune time.
Have a safe trip.

diz_girl
02-20-2008, 10:04 AM
AAA is also good for the hotels on the way down. Most if not all of them have the AAA discount. You can also use your AAA card at Downtown Disney and I believe you save 10% off of your purchases!

We also got a AAA rate on our rooms at the WL for this coming December. If no other room-only discounts are made to Disney Visa cardholders or to the general public, we at least have the 15% AAA discount, which equates to a $37.50 discount per night and $225 (before taxes) for our trip, so the membership has paid for itself.

I usually have in my car at all times a toolbox with your basic tools, some jumper cables, antifreeze (sometimes), transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, road flares, a blanket, a coffee can, matches and a candle. I didn't think about water - but I'll make sure that's in my car for any long trips.

kathiep
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
We've always driven and will be making the trip again in September.

Other than the basic jumper cables and spare tire, we don't bring too much. We always have our cell phones and AAA membership up to date.

I've used AAA more times than I care to count around my area. (don't ask, I;m cursed) But I've always been thrilled with their service.

I was in NC once with my kids and my brother and his kids. One of his sons turned on the little interior light in the truck and forgot to turn it back off. No one caught it in the confusion. The next morning, dead battery.

We used AAA then and a tow truck came out, jumped his truck and followed him to their shop where they installed a new battery. Overall, we were pleased with the service in an unfamiliar area.

Janmac
02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Same here - flashlight, jumper cables, AAA card and cell phone.

We have had AAA Plus for years. It's the one with 100 miles free towing and between the AAA discounts and the occasional breakdown, we have gotten even the extra cost for the AAA Plus back, every year. Regular AAA has free towing for something like 3 miles. Not useful out here where we live. Nothing is 3 miles away.

On two trips to Disney we had breakdowns (one was an alternator MsMin!) and sure am glad we have AAA. The last trip it was the belt, tho we'd just had that checked at the dealer the week before we left. The fellow sent out by AAA was so helpful, as they usually are. I can't think when we've not had a great experience.

Like diz_girl, in winter we carry a couple of blankets, the coffee can w/candle, food, water, and inside the vehicle (not in the trunk) gloves, hat, etc. In summer we have lightweight blankets for over the windows and a DC powered fan. Some tp and a roll of paper towels, and some wet wipes are also supposed to be in the car.

We always seem to break down near the end of the day. The last trip, with the belt breaking, it was getting to look as tho we were going to have to be towed somewhere, and that would have meant the trailer would have to be towed too. We did get the right size belt and get back going again but when we got home we upgraded to the AAA Plus with RV, just in case. Got new cards, which we needed. Some of my numbers were beginning to get hard to read.

Jan

TheRustyScupper
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
In my Yukon, I always have a milk-crate containing
. . . (1) aerosol can of flat-fix
. . . (8) tea candles
. . . (1) pack matches
. . . (1) small pillow
. . . (1) medium blanket
. . . (1) flashlight, with blinking warning light
. . . (1) small can of assorted bungee cords
. . . (1) small roll-up tool kit
. . . (1) pair thin work gloves
. . . (1) package handi-wipes
. . . (1) rain poncho

crazypoohbear
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Check and make sure that you have a tire iron. some cars don't have them now.
way more batteries than you think you will need.
flash lights
jumper cables
water
rain poncho
cell phone
chargers
granola bars/snacks (hungry kids are angry kids)
most important PATIENCE

TheDuckRocks
02-21-2008, 11:51 AM
The AAA card, cell phone, and my DH. They are the only tools I ever take when I drive. DH is just there for his ego since he thinks he can fix everything.

:ditto: First he gives it a shot at getting it fixed himself and then he finds out that a I have already called AAA and they're on the way.:thumbsup:

Jasper
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I am not going to bore you with all the things we take along because all of them have been mentioned one way or another by previous posters. However, what I do want to mention is that if you contact AAA they have a very good list of emergency items you should have in your vehicle. I got it several years ago and there were several things like road flares that were so obvious that I had not thought of. I would imagine this list is probably now on their website but I am not sure of that because we picked our list up at our local AAA office years ago.