PDA

View Full Version : How Far From Raleigh Durham Airport to WDW?

merlinmagic4
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how long the drive is from Raleigh Durham Airport to WDW. Right now we are driving about 24 hours from Massachusetts but I can get a flight to RDU for about 250 pp on SWA. Thanks :mickey:

princessjojo
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
It's roughly 8-10 hours. I've done it before, but not again. I just don't like to ride that far. We live about 40min away from the airport there.

merlinmagic4
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
It's roughly 8-10 hours. I've done it before, but not again. I just don't like to ride that far. We live about 40min away from the airport there.

Thanks! I didn't realize it was that far but I did just look at a map and figured out it wasn't a hop, skip, and a jump! I either have to try and fly in closer or just resign myself to the drive from Mass. I'm not giving up yet and either way, I will get there :mickey:

princessjojo
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
It's not bad, just long. About 40min down I-40, then I-95 straight there till I-4.

Not2Loud
02-19-2008, 08:44 PM
According to Streets and Trips, its about 631 miles.

BigRedDad
02-20-2008, 04:03 AM
It really depends on the number of stops and the rush hour traffic on I40. Typically, it will be about 9 hours.

bshaw96
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
We live about 30 minutes from RDU. It is about a 10 hour drive depending on traffic. Have done it, but hope to never again :mickey:

Charlenne
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
We live in NC and it's about a 9-10 hour drive from our house to the resort. We actually live about 2.5 hrs from RDU but it turns out to be about the same time.

It may seem like a long drive but it's actually a really easy drive, at least we've always thought so. We leave around 2 am and are always checked in by 1.

We do not go the quick route either, instead of taking 95 down we take 17, it's just a much more pleasant drive, the views are nicer and you aren't' worried about a truck running you over for going only 90 mph.

wendy*darling
02-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to Orlando, than to fly into a strange city and then rent a car to drive 10 more hours?

bshaw96
02-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to Orlando, than to fly into a strange city and then rent a car to drive 10 more hours?

I was wondering the same thing. Tickets out of RDU average around 200-250 right now, plus a rental car.

merlinmagic4
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Actually, flying into Orlando is about 700 rt per person right now. I got a DING fare for 250 pp into Raleigh - so 1250 as opposed to 3500. So, no, it is not cheaper to fly into Orlando. I have been trying to find a reasonable airfare since airfares for our week were first released. I did look at the obvious first (flying into Orlando). Since the airfares have been so out of reach for us I have been exploring other options, besides driving.

Also, I didn't realize it was so far away which is why I asked. Sorry if it seemed like a ridiculous question :) Obviously I would love to fly into Orlando.

princessjojo
02-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Actually, flying into Orlando is about 700 rt per person right now. I got a DING fare for 250 pp into Raleigh - so 1250 as opposed to 3500. So, no, it is not cheaper to fly into Orlando. I have been trying to find a reasonable airfare since airfares for our week were first released. I did look at the obvious first (flying into Orlando). Since the airfares have been so out of reach for us I have been exploring other options, besides driving.

Also, I didn't realize it was so far away which is why I asked. Sorry if it seemed like a ridiculous question :) Obviously I would love to fly into Orlando.
I just bought our tickets via SW and paid 167 r/t direct from RDU to MCO. But we won't be leaving until June.

merlinmagic4
02-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I just bought our tickets via SW and paid 167 r/t direct from RDU to MCO. But we won't be leaving until June.

That's wonderful! We would never get that for a school vacation week. I have been watching fares for our week in April 2008 since May of 2007 (331 days out). I can only affort 250-300 per person for 5 people and I never saw that. JetBlue has consistently been 600-800 per person and they're supposed to be the bargain airline. Delta came close but no cigar. I'm not hopeful for a DING fare from Boston to Orlando for that week but when I saw one to NC, I was just wondering how far it was. I am from the Northeast so wasn't real familiar with distances down south :blush: It must have really seemed like a silly question, I guess, but I'm just still trying to find a way to avoid a 21-24 hour drive :)

For the record, once I was saw that the drive was about 10 hours I would not consider doing that. It was just a question I threw out there.

Beast_fanatic
02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure which airlines are available to you, but you could look in to flying into Sanford airport (about 45 minutes to an hour north of WDW) or Tampa Bay.