PDA

View Full Version : Golfers' Unite!!

ravsluvdisney
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, the title's a bit much. But after several trips with the DW and two DS' I will finally be teeing it up on our next trip this November. Looking for any info about the courses other than the 9-holer. They don't have pricing out that far yet but existing prices seem to be nearly the same for all courses (Palm, Magnolia, Buena Vista and Osprey Ridge). Does anyone remember approx. fees from this past November? Favorite course and why? Overall experiences? Any info, stories, suggestions would be great. I am a 15-handicap so I should be able to stumble around any of the courses. Everytime I left the POLY on the monorail and saw that course on the left (Palms or Magnolia?) staring back at me, I said "self, have patience - you'll get there". Now I'm almost there. FORE!!

:golf:

Mufasa
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Osprey Ridge is my favorite of the courses, and any resort in the country I'm sure would love to boast having a course like it.

It's a Tom Fazio layout that shows a lot of his trademarks that he's become known for and so it's quite different from the other courses at WDW- you'll find contoured, multi-level greens and it's also very secluded to where you can easily forget you're at WDW.

The natural scenery is fantastic and it's a course that is challenging, but still very accessible to players of all levels as long as you take care to control your ball and hit accurate shots then you'll do well.

But what I think makes it a fun course because there are lots of places where you'll face having to make a decision and the risk/reward pay-off can be very steep if you should decide to gamble because the option of laying up isn't ideal, but choosing to go for it will have your heart pounding if you happen to misjudge things.

The finishing stretch of 16, 17 and 18 are easily the best of all the courses at WDW and easily matches the great resort courses you'll find anywhere in the country. If you could only play 1 course at WDW, I'd say Osprey Ridge is a no-brainer.

DisneyorBust
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I haven't golfed at WDW in a couple of years, that being said the price for a round at Lake Beuna Vista was approx. $115.
Although there was construction along a couple of the holes, the experience was great. The course was in very good condition and was challenging but not punishing for the average golfer.
I want to take another trip and spend a couple of days at the Palm and Magnolia, just golfing with my son.
I will still need to hit the parks at night though!:D

busterthebronco
02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
osprey ridge is the best.
its beatiful!
magnolia is the signature course though.
the pros play it on sundays in the pga tour event.
lbv is very disney feeling though as it winds through resorts.
palm and magnolia are clse together and intertwined is the "9 holer" so its kind open or spread out.
eagle pines and osprey are in the woods more and really both are lovely.
for my first ever round i might just pull the trigger on the magnolia.
osprey would be the second choice.
third lbv.
then eagle piness.
last palm.
i think that stretch you see from the road at the poly is the magnolia so theres another reason to play it!

Maleficent's Dad
02-21-2008, 11:25 PM
But after several trips with the DW and two DS' I will finally be teeing it up on our next trip this November.
I completely understand! With children, it took a while before I got back onto the courses, but it's worth the wait!!! It's sometimes tough to watch others on the courses as you ride the buses back & forth to the parks...

Looking for any info about the courses other than the 9-holer.
Palm and Magnolia are tough. Let's face it, Tiger and the rest of the tour play here, so the holes have to be challenging!
Osprey Ridge is probably the best layout of them all; it's removed from the hubub of WDW and brings you into the real wilderness of the property. There are plenty of challenges with raised greens and difficult tee shots.
LBV is a great layout; it's very forgiving, but gives you the opportunity to score really well - a high "risk vs. reward" layout. If you're a scratch golfer, you'll score low. If you're a high handicapper, it will play well if you manage your game.

They don't have pricing out that far yet but existing prices seem to be nearly the same for all courses (Palm, Magnolia, Buena Vista and Osprey Ridge). Does anyone remember approx. fees from this past November?
Do you qualify for any discounts??? AP discounts exist, as well as those staying on property. I'm a DVC member and the golf membership through DVC is awesome! I'm playing Osprey and Palm in April for $35 per round!!! That is a significant savings over all the other rates. There are rates for teeing off after 10 AM in the summer, as well as twilight rates; the twilight rates are a bit of a risk, however, as thunderstorms can ruin your round...

Favorite course and why? Overall experiences?
I love all the courses for different reasons. However, LBV gives you the most opportunity for scoring well. It's very "forgiving" if you don't chance it too much.

I can PM you with some additional golf web sites that will give you more info on WDW golf. It's a great place to golf; and the golfing is a real nice reprieve from the chaos of the parks!

ravsluvdisney
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Please keep the golf thread going - great feedback for me and let's face it, not much 'links' chat here at ol' Intercot! I think I may be leaning towards LBV or Osprey. Being from up North (NJ) I haven't touched a club since probably September. With DW giving the green light for a Disney round I've already dusted off the clubs - tough to chip around the backyard in several inches of snow of course!

As always, helpful info here and I'll be looking for more....
:thumbsup:

busterthebronco
02-22-2008, 09:58 PM
oh yea,
last time i played i rented clubs.
it was sweet using brand new sticks!
:thumbsup:

PAT9760
02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
My husband and I both played Osprey Ridge late last November and it was great. He 's a 15 handicap and I'm a 23 and, though some holes were challenging, the course, overall wasn't so difficult that it wasn't enjoyable. Our tee time was 9:00 AM and greens fees with tax were about $145.00 each. Since we were only playing that one round we didn't bother bringing our clubs. Rental clubs were great and ran about $58 each. Course was empty that day so we got around pretty quickly. Had lunch right there at the Sand Trap Bar and Grill - also highly recommended - good food and service. Enjoy!

ginger19
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Dh and I just spent three days golfing there in january. I really enjoyed it even though I'm a brand new golfer and really struggled on the courses. Osprey was my favorite because it had the most beautiful course. The staff at all of the courses were excellent. They cleaned our clubs and stored them for the night or moved them to the next course. I was given a large towel for my legs when it was very chilly one morning and a man cleaned my shoes one afternoon when they were covered in grass and mud from the soaking wet course. Osprey also seems to have the most bathrooms which is a nice plus for me. We also did Palm which was nice and Oak trail which I enjoyed. The golf instructor was great and thought we were nuts for golfing three days in a row. He was right; I have never been so tired.

I can't wait to go back!