PDA

View Full Version : Any Home Remedy Experts?

bshaw96
02-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm willing to try just about anything but urine in my ear. I actually read that a little while ago while researching home remedies for earaches. It doesn't hurt quite that bad yet.

Anyway, I had a sinus cold :ill: last week while at Disney. Nothing too bad, just the usual, probably allergies more than anything with the beautiful weather and blooming flowers down there :mickey: But I think the combo of the cold and flying back on the plane with the pressure change has given me a major earache. Was hoping it would go away, but hasn't. My right ear feels completely stopped up, and I feel somewhat dizzy/nauseated as my equalibrium is off. Can't get an appt. with my doc until Thursday and the local urgent cares have 3+ hour waits, don't have time for that.

Any home remedies worth trying? Motrin helps with the discomfort, but that's about it. As I said, I'll try anything but the urine!

TinkiTime1989
02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Try the Similisan Earache Relief drops. You should be able to get them at any local pharmacy or places like wal-mart and target. They've helped me in the past. Feel better soon!

MNNHFLTX
02-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I know it's not a home remedy, but have you tried a simple decongestant, like pseudofed or even an antihistamine, like Claritin? They could help open things up.

Other than, gentle heat might relieve some of the pressure. You can use a heating pad (set to the lowest setting and covered with a nice thick towel) or even a blow dryer on its lowest warm setting.

bshaw96
02-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I know it's not a home remedy, but have you tried a simple decongestant, like pseudofed or even an antihistamine, like Claritin? They could help open things up.

Other than, gentle heat might relieve some of the pressure. You can use a heating pad (set to the lowest setting and covered with a nice thick towel) or even a blow dryer on its lowest warm setting.

Yeh, I've got some OTC decongestants, but my sinuses have pretty much cleared. There's just this stubborn earache (probably infection) that's not letting up. I did try the blow dryer on low the other evening, didn't notice much difference. Might give the heating pad a try. If nothing else, I've learned a whole new appreciation for what my son goes through. He gets an ear infection every time he gets a cold. This is just a miserable feeling.

ncscgirl2005
02-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm willing to try just about anything but urine in my ear.

Oh well there goes my suggestion! :D

thrillme
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
If you're asking someone from Texas they'll probably tell you MENUDO. It cures EVERYTHING.

A hot pack with warm moist heat, a decongestant work the best for me...Drinking a little soda pop helps a bit too.

There are some ear drops that work for some people but...the only ear drops that worked for me is if I had an "outer ear" infection (swimmers ear).

Disneyatic
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I second the recommendation for Similason Earache drops. Roll the bottle in between your palms for about a minute before you drop them in and it will warm the liquid up a bit.
Drop those in and then try the heating pad, that seems to give my daughter the best relief when she has pain from one.

ttccluvsdis
02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I use Ear Cones when I get that plugged stuffy feeling in my ears. You can buy them at the Health Food Store.
They are made of wax, and are about 12 inches long. You put the pointed part in your ear, and light the other side with a match. Follow the directions, or you have the possibility of catching your hair on fire. All of the wax and buildup in your ear will be sucked into the cone.
It is kind of gross, but the only thing that works for me.
They have scented ones, and others dipped in oils, but I get the basic ones. They come in a pair and are about 6-8 dollars.
T

tinksmom02
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
DH suffered much of the past week with the flu and an ear infection. He begged me to try his supposedly "old Italian" remedy of rolling a newspaper into a cone, sticking it into his ear, and then burning the newspaper. He said it's supposed to draw the fluid out (I guess a cheaper version of the wax cones another poster mentioned). I'm just WAYYYY too afraid that I'll set him on fire or something, so I wouldn't do it. Just made him suffer ;) He did get antibiotics, though (for the ear infection), so he's feeling better.

Hope you're on the mend soon!

BronxTigger
02-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Sometimes tilting your ear and dropping hot water into it can help. Not too hot...about the same temperature you use in the shower. You can do this in the shower by letting the water go into your ear. The warmth can help relieve the pain.

jeddalynn
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Eat. Raw. Garlic. You will be better in matter of days. I know it's rough, but it WILL WORK!

magicofdisney
02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a friend that uses holistic methods. Her doctor recommends peppermint oil (the real deal, not imitation) for ear infections. She used this with her son who was having severe pain. It cleared up within a week. You don't put the oil in the ear. You place is on a cotton ball and lay it on the outer ear area. If you try this, let us know if it works. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

DisneyCouture
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
U need to go to a health food store and a NETI Pot. It helps to relieve the sinuses and take pressure off your ears. I have really bad allerigies and I use this and it works, it may look gross but it will def help and reduce the pressure.

tinklover
02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
i know it is not healthy to be around second hand smoke but my mom use dto do this for us as kids and it helped. get a smoker to blow smoke in yoru affected ear and it takes the pain away. not sure how, i just remember the relief. good luck.

RenDuran
02-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I use Ear Cones when I get that plugged stuffy feeling in my ears. You can buy them at the Health Food Store.
They are made of wax, and are about 12 inches long. You put the pointed part in your ear, and light the other side with a match. Follow the directions, or you have the possibility of catching your hair on fire. All of the wax and buildup in your ear will be sucked into the cone.
It is kind of gross, but the only thing that works for me.
They have scented ones, and others dipped in oils, but I get the basic ones. They come in a pair and are about 6-8 dollars.
T

I just read an article on ear candling....sounds intriguing!

I second the suggestions for sudafed and nasal irrigation/netipot. From what I've read and experienced, a lot of times, what patients think is all in their ears, can actually be in their sinuses. All that stuff is connected, after all.

Hope you get some relief! It's too bad you don't have three hours to go to urgent care and get taken care of.

SBETigg
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Hope you get some relief! It's too bad you don't have three hours to go to urgent care and get taken care of.

Yes and no. Most doctors are now reluctant to treat ear pain with antibiotics due to building resistance to the medications, so they end up recommending home remedies and OTC decongestants anyway. That ear cone treatment sounds scary- wow! Best wishes for feeling better fast.

Flower
02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last year when we drove home through the mountains, not to scare you, but I could not hear for a month. It was an ear infection from my sinus infection and it was horrible!

My doctor ended up prescribing an antibiotic ear drop, it cleared up soon after I started taking it. I have no idea what the name of it was but it was the only thing that worked.