PDA

View Full Version : Refilling Non Official Mugs

dudeman1975
02-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Do you agree or disagree that guest should fill non-offcial mugs such as Water bottles from the theme parks as well as paper cups with soda and better yet taking the slushy from me which I could have in my paid for mug. I even saw people use mugs from a couple of years ago. This happened in the Pop Resort.

#1disneyfan
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
No, I think that it should be, and probably is, stealing. You would never think to go into a McDonald's with your travel mug and get a soda for free! There is no difference IMO. That is why they sell the mugs. I don't usually buy the mugs, but I would never think to do what most people do.

dudeman1975
02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the posting I agree with you. I always follow rules and feel guilty not using the mug. It was a great use to us as we used the mug almost three times a day.

DreamFinder2
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I agree...although $12 seems like a lot for a drink/mug, if you use it 2-3 times per day for the duration of your stay, those drinks are CHEAP!

No need to cheat the system, in my opinion.

JPL
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
The $12 for the refillable mug is the best deal at WDW there is no need to cheat the system.
You get drinks for your entire stay and a nice travel mug to use when you get home. I really wish Disney would enforce the rules more strictly it always annoys me when I see the people using old or not Disney Mugs.

Jared
02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I always read threads written by people asking or complaining about other guests using old mugs at the resort soda fountains, and I totally understand everybody's concerns. We all know the rules. Disney does, too. So why aren't they enforced? Clearly, Disney is choosing to overlook guests "stealing" soft drinks with improper refillable mugs. I think the best thing to do is know the rules, follow them and not worry about what everybody is or is not doing.

BigRedDad
02-19-2008, 02:53 AM
What they should do is embed an RFID tag in the handle of the mugs. It gets activated when you purchase the mug for the length of your stay. No soda is dispensed without the proper RF tag. not too difficult. However, there is almost no way for you to drink $12 in soda over the course of a stay. Fountain soda is so cheap, it is nearly impossible to drink that much. McDonald's makes about $0.07 - $0.10 profit on any burger. They make well over $1 profit on every soda sold.

Marker
02-19-2008, 08:10 AM
In my opinion, the amount of profit in a cup of soda has no bearing on this question whatsoever. Everyone knows the price when they make the purchase. If they don't wish to spend that much, they can choose not to. So long as enough people are willing to pay that price, then that's the price they'll sell it at.

When I buy a souvenir mug, I know the price, I know the policy. It's no surprise. And rarely drink soda. Whe I buy a mug it's typically for a cup of coffee in the morning on my way to the bus. Of a 5 day stay, it's pretty much 5 cups of coffee. But I'm well aware of that when I make the choice to buy or not to buy.

The reality is, the drink station is pretty much on an honor bar system. Sadly, there are a lot of less than honorable people out there. In my opinion, there's far too much "as long as I don't get caught, it's ok" attitude. When you see someone cheating the system, it does say something about the character of that person.

brownie
02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
The $12 for the refillable mug is the best deal at WDW there is no need to cheat the system.
You get drinks for your entire stay and a nice travel mug to use when you get home. I really wish Disney would enforce the rules more strictly it always annoys me when I see the people using old or not Disney Mugs.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

JPL
02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
However, there is almost no way for you to drink $12 in soda over the course of a stay.

When you factor in the Pirce for a Soda at the food court you very easily get $12 worth of drinks at Disney prices. A regular soda average a little over $2 so 6 sodas over the course of a stay pays for the mug. The profit Disney is making has very little to do with the cost savings to the guest.

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Let's no be too quick to judge.

1) It is Wrong
. . . if they haven't bought a mug
. . . if they are refilling a mug that isn't "lifetime refills"

2) It isn't Wrong
. . . if they bought a mug
. . . if they are refilling a "lifetime mug"

NOTE: I know this sounds strange, but if you bought a mug, what is the difference if you refill the mug and pour it immediately into a 1-gallon jug and repeat. Or, if you just fill the 1-gallon jug directly. The refill mug does not say how fast you have to drink it. Unfortunately, that is the loophole.

MickeyChick
02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm still disappointed that the mugs I bought last month are generic "Year of a Million Dreams" mugs and don't say "Pop Century" on them anywhere.

In fact, I wasn't able to find *ANYTHING* that said Pop Century.

dumbo_buddy
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
OOOO a lifetime mug?? i've never seen them!

where are they? how much??

i would DEFINITELY get one of those...if only i didn't lose the lids everytime i come home from a vacation!

JPL
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
OOOO a lifetime mug?? i've never seen them!

Originally the mugs were good forever provided you stayed at the same resort. So if you bought a mug at Caribbean Beach it was good every time you stayed at Caribbean Beach. The policy change a while ago.

Young@Heart
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
When you factor in the Pirce for a Soda at the food court you very easily get $12 worth of drinks at Disney prices. A regular soda average a little over $2 so 6 sodas over the course of a stay pays for the mug. The profit Disney is making has very little to do with the cost savings to the guest.

ITA w/ bold above. We probably refill 3-5 times/day (we're big soda/coffee drinkers :blush:). My younger DS and DD generally stick to the slush drinks. There are 5 of us, and we always buy 5 new mugs. We know the cost, and budget it before we travel. It's a great value to us. I'm not worried about the "profit" Disney is making. Mark up on beverages is part of our world as consumers. It's the same way at the grocery store-but I buy the soda that's on sale any given week and choose to exercise my rights as a consumer that way.
Either way, refilling a non-eligable mug is not an option for us. I've seen others do it, and I don't like it, but at least I know my family is doing the right thing. And I'm happy w/ the money we save over the course of 6 or 7 days! :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
The profit Disney is making has very little to do with the cost savings to the guest.

1) Actually, Disney makes a lot of money on soda.
2) All Coke products (water and soda) are given to WDW for FREE!
3) Same thing for all other sponsors (ie. Nescafe coffee, Kodak guide maps).

chick20679
02-21-2008, 08:10 AM
We see it as spending $12 for a souviner mug and getting the soda for free.
I DO agree it's extremely annoying to have just paid $12 for a mug and then to see someone using an old mug or some other vessel to fill up. But, I suppose it's not worth dwelling on. :rolleyes: Some people follow rules, and some don't.

kakn7294
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I think sometimes it's a lack of respect for the rules and sometimes it's a lack of understanding of the rules. A CM who cleaned the dining room at POFQ in Dec '06 kept pushing my mother to refill her paper cup. She even told her to keep the paper cup and bring it back whenever she wanted and to not buy the refillable mug although my parents bought one anyway.

Mackflava99
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
All Coke products given to Disney for Free?
Hmmm- i never knew that.

Anyway-
I think its in poor tast to fill up your personal water bottle. Too many people do it. I for one have said something to 2 different individuals. They looked shocked. One actually stopped ( maybe because i am tall ? ) but the other said " this mouse gets too much of my money anyway!! i am taking a little back ! " he was filling a really big jug too , not a small bottle.

I unformed the CM, but she didnt do much.

Later during our stay i saw him doing it again
, so i walked up to another CM and said to her " I think that guy is shop lifting !!" and didnt say anything else. I walked away but didnt see if anything happened. :thedolls:

Marilyn Michetti
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
What is so mind boggling, is that guest's pay all the $1000.'s for lodging, tickets, transportation, food, and souvieners, and then feel like they need to steal a soda?

I guess honesty does have a price after all, but any kid over 10 will remember that one act, and grow up thinking it's O.K.

BTW, I did see an older couple come into Burger King one time with their used drink cup, and steal the soda to go with the burger they paid for. They pulled it out of a canvas bag, and just filled it up.

Sorry........I don't get it !:confused: