PDA

View Full Version : Transport from airport to port canaveral?

scootch713
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Was wondering how long this trip is?? and am I dreaming, if you go thru disney, do they bring your luggage for you???? or do you have to load it??? If so, then it "appears" to be about as cheap to just get a towncar, correct??? thanks..

Piglet822
02-18-2008, 05:30 PM
If you are flying in the day of your cruise and you place the special tags Disney sends you on your luggage before checking it at your home airport, then yes, Disney will collect it upon arrival in Orlando and transport it to Port Canaveral for you.
The bus ride is approximately 45 - 60 minutes and a video is shown on the way.
Depending on how many people are in your party it might be cheaper for you to take a towncar. You can check out Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/) for that info. They are an INTERCOT sponsor and it helps us out as well :)

scootch713
02-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh, so it is like the disney magical express to the resorts.... wow... might be a better option for me as I am taking my girls by myself. We are goign with several other families though, so will peek at the site and see if that might be more cost effective. Thanks...

wendy*darling
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, so it is like the disney magical express to the resorts....
Yes, it's LIKE the Magical Express, except that it's NOT free.
The DCL bus is $35 per person each way.
So figure that into your comparison.

We are still weighing the pros and cons of this option.
I see the pros of the DCL bus as- they take your luggage, you will make the boat on time.
The pros of a towncar service- you pick the time to go, you get a grocery stop & for my family of 4- it is less expensive.

Still... DH is leaning toward DCL.
Not convinced yet. ;)

DisneyDudet
02-21-2008, 07:26 AM
We use the DCL option because of the ease of it all. Plus, if something were to happen, and you purchased the trip insurance, Disney will help you out with all this stuff. I know its a long shot for anything to happen, but you just never know.

If you go through DCL, you put a tag on your luggage before checking your bags in at your home airport, then you don't see those bags again until you arrive on the boat! Plus, all you have to do is walk to the check in counter for DCL, and you're on a bus!

It is so very easy. It may be a little bit more expensive, but we'd rather pay for us to relax from the moment we land, than to have to do anything for ourselves!!

Piglet822
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
One other advantage to the buses, they are the only vehicles actually allowed inside the cruise terminal area.
Everyone else has to drop just outside the terminal area, it's not really a long distance but with the bus you are literally dropped just outside the terminal doors.

scootch713
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Since I am traveling alone with my two daughters(there is a group of us going, but not sure we will all be on the same flights)..... it is probalby best I just do thru disney. Some things are worth a bit more if it helps me out since daddy is not going with us.

How does it work on the way home, do you have to take your luggage to the bus... or do you just call bell services and check in at a counter for the bus??

TheDuckRocks
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Since I am traveling alone with my two daughters(there is a group of us going, but not sure we will all be on the same flights)..... it is probalby best I just do thru disney. Some things are worth a bit more if it helps me out since daddy is not going with us.

How does it work on the way home, do you have to take your luggage to the bus... or do you just call bell services and check in at a counter for the bus??

What airline are you going to be using? It could make a difference.

DisneyDudet
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
There are a few options for luggage on the way home.

If you are flying on one of the participating airlines, you can check in the last night, and when you set your luggage out on the last night, you won't see it again until the airport at home!!

If you aren't flying on a participating airline or choose not to use this option (it involves a lot of trust!!), you can do the "normal" option of putting your luggage out the last night. You then collect it at customs (or have porters do it). If you are flying on a participating airline, you can then go to their counter outside the terminal and check in, getting your boarding passes and watch them tag your bag, which they take to the airport for you. You don't have to worry about loading anything except your night bags! Hopefully they still have this option.

If you don't want to do this option, you can handle your own bags, but with breakfast the next morning, you will have to bring your luggage. They do not want you to come back to your room after breakfast.

For the ease, I would use the new option, if you can. Here (http://www.dclnews.com/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?PressReleaseID=108100) is the press release with airline information.

scootch713
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks.... will be sure it is a participating airline. The fares from Pitts, usually on vary 10 bucks or so.. so would be worth it to me to book a flight that participates. thanks

LoriR
03-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't count on this. On the March 16-20 cruise, the airline checkin was not available for some reason. They notified us the day before. Everyone had to collect their own luggage and go through customs. It may have just been some sort of security thing that day; I don't know.