PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay the night before the cruise?

camsmom
02-17-2008, 10:07 PM
We are arriving the Wednesday night before our cruise on Thursday. We are arriving at MCO at 9:30 p.m. Our tentative plan is to pick up our rental car and then drive to Cape Canaveral that evening.

I would appreciate any suggestions on places to stay and car rental agencies near the port to turn the car in on Thursday.

Thanks for you help!

TammiMcMan
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT camsmom.

Did you want a hotel close to the port as well? If so, the closest are the Radisson, Country Inn and Suites and the Marriott Residence Inn.

Car rental options include Enterprise, Budget, Avis and Hertz. You also have Thrifty, but I think they recently institued a $15 drop off fee.

Trakar
02-18-2008, 01:03 AM
We stayed at Comfort Inn. You could see the ships coming to port in the morning. Very new, clean, continental breakfast. We will stay there again. I think it was less than $100/night.

Ed
02-18-2008, 07:30 AM
We were out that way recently to watch a shuttle launch, and 'discovered' the relatively-new RonJon (yep, the "surf Shop" people) resort just south of the port, overlooking the canal leading to/from the port. Very nice facility, good restaurant, and very close to the port.

Can't help on the rental car question; not that familiar with that aspect.

camsmom
02-18-2008, 09:40 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT camsmom.

Thanks for the welcome! Already I have seen that everyone is very friendly here!

Did you want a hotel close to the port as well? If so, the closest are the Radisson, Country Inn and Suites and the Marriott Residence Inn.

Car rental options include Enterprise, Budget, Avis and Hertz. You also have Thrifty, but I think they recently institued a $15 drop off fee.

Yes, we were hoping to get a hotel close to the port that we would be able to walk to. So thanks for those suggestions - as well as the car rentals as well. That will be my 'homework' for tonight!

We stayed at Comfort Inn. You could see the ships coming to port in the morning. Very new, clean, continental breakfast. We will stay there again. I think it was less than $100/night.

Thanks for this suggestion as well!

We were out that way recently to watch a shuttle launch, and 'discovered' the relatively-new RonJon (yep, the "surf Shop" people) resort just south of the port, overlooking the canal leading to/from the port. Very nice facility, good restaurant, and very close to the port.

Can't help on the rental car question; not that familiar with that aspect.

My son would absolute love this option! He doesn't surf - except for the boogie boarding he does in our pool and calls it surfing! lol

MN_Dad
02-19-2008, 04:54 AM
We stayed at Ron Jon's Spring Break '07. It is very nice, but it would be quite spendy if you are getting in late and leaving early. Just my opinion.

TammiMcMan
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
We stayed at Ron Jon's Spring Break '07. It is very nice, but it would be quite spendy if you are getting in late and leaving early. Just my opinion.I agree. It's a wonderful place if you have time to explore the grounds and take advantage of the amenities. On average, the studio villas do run about $170 per night though, which is on the expensive side for someplace to just lay your head for the night.

camsmom
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
We stayed at Ron Jon's Spring Break '07. It is very nice, but it would be quite spendy if you are getting in late and leaving early. Just my opinion.

I agree. It's a wonderful place if you have time to explore the grounds and take advantage of the amenities. On average, the studio villas do run about $170 per night though, which is on the expensive side for someplace to just lay your head for the night.

Thanks to both of you! When I checked the website last night - I figured the $$ could be spent on Disney souveniors vs a hotel room! :mickey:

DisneyDudet
02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
We enjoyed staying at the Hyatt MCO. I know you want to stay close to port, but with getting in so late (which we did last time.. nearly 11pm after the delays!), it was so nice to just go get our luggage, and walk to the Hyatt! Plus, you can either rent a car from the airport and then drive to Canaveral, and drop off your car, or you can use Disney transport! We will be doing that, just for the ease of everything. We liked it last time, and it was just so.. worry free!

I don't know what you meant by "walking to", but I didn't see any hotels close enough to walk to the port, if that is what you mean.

camsmom
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
We enjoyed staying at the Hyatt MCO. I know you want to stay close to port, but with getting in so late (which we did last time.. nearly 11pm after the delays!), it was so nice to just go get our luggage, and walk to the Hyatt! Plus, you can either rent a car from the airport and then drive to Canaveral, and drop off your car, or you can use Disney transport! We will be doing that, just for the ease of everything. We liked it last time, and it was just so.. worry free!

I don't know what you meant by "walking to", but I didn't see any hotels close enough to walk to the port, if that is what you mean.

I was talking to my husband about staying at the Hyatt - and since our flight doesn't get in until 9:30 p.m. we both agreed that the Hyatt is the best choice. Everyone can relax - and be ready to start out fresh in the morning!

Thanks again for all the advice! :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Also, to attempt to get a cheaper rate, check on hotwire, etc, but log onto the Hyatt website and look into the STAY certificates. You basically prepay for a room and once you receive the certificate, you can book at that price. From what I am looking at, the catch is... like WDW discounted rooms... they only have a certain number of rooms at any given time that can be used with a STAY cert., so it can help or hurt.

I am actively looking into this option for ourselves, so I hope to give you some more information about this!!

You won't be disappointed in the Hyatt MCO. Its a beautiful hotel!

camsmom
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks Morgan!