PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel Rental at Castaway Cay

pilk
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Can anyone tell us if you are required to rent the snorkel gear at Castaway Cay or can you bring your own?

Thanks in advance,
Pilk

wendy*darling
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
My understanding is that you can bring your own.
You are also required to wear a float vest, and if you do not have one, you can get that there at no charge.

Tinkermom
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
We were just there on Friday...sigh...

Anyway, you can rent or bring your own. It was $10 to rent the snorkel gear. My 13 year old rented his as he was with the teenagers on a teen excursion. The rest of us used the snorkel gear we brought from home. Disney does require you to use a float vest and will make you get out of the water to get one. We saw this happen several times.

The snorkel area is just at the beginning of the family beach area. We got off of the ship early in order to grab chairs/umbrella and we had chosen an area just at the beginning of the family beach. This made it nice as we could easily snorkle, swim or just relax without having to walk far.

hmcfall711
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope it is OK to add another question to this thread.

We are also planning to snorkel while at CC and I was wondering how deep is the designated snorkling area?

I know in some places like Belize you can walk waist deep for miles into the water. etc.

Just a curious question.

Tinkermom
02-21-2008, 10:03 AM
I hope it is OK to add another question to this thread.

We are also planning to snorkel while at CC and I was wondering how deep is the designated snorkling area?

I know in some places like Belize you can walk waist deep for miles into the water. etc.

Just a curious question.

You can stay in the shallow area however we noticed that the water was pretty cloudy due to be stirred up by people. Once you get passed the shallow area I would guess it is 10+ feet deep. There are life guards actually stationed out in the middle of the water. When they change shifts they actually use a surf-board type thing to get out there. :)

DakotaDisney
03-06-2008, 11:03 PM
If you bring your own snorkel gear do you still have to sign up for the snorkeling excursion?

How do you get the float vest? Is there a charge for the float vest?

Tinkermom
03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
If you bring your own snorkel gear do you still have to sign up for the snorkeling excursion?

How do you get the float vest? Is there a charge for the float vest?

If you bring your own snorkel gear you do not have to sign up for anything. Just walk on out and snorkle whenever you want. Not sure what would be different with the excursion except that they may tell you what types of sea life you are seeing and give you snorkle instructions.

The float vests are hanging on the lifeguard stands and on a post by the snorkle area. These are free of charge.

adoptionislove
03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
We will be on Castaway Cay in 14 days OMG, I am SOOO excited!

Thanks for the info!

Michelle

Tinkermom
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
We will be on Castaway Cay in 14 days OMG, I am SOOO excited!

Thanks for the info!

Michelle

That is AWESOME! Have a great time!:thumbsup:

all4djcc
03-09-2008, 12:23 PM
We just got back as well. I was suprised at the abundance of sea life that was out there as well as few hidden suprises that you will find. We actually were about 10 feet away from a large barracuda. Absolutely beautiful!

brdavis
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I end up taking my own mask/fins/snorkel, as I knew I would use it more than once (at which point, *if* you have the room, it was economical). I was there on what I was told was very rough, windy day, and the visibility was still pretty good. The float vests are free... and for those of you who snorkel more below than above, they do not have to be inflated (you have to wear them for visibility, but I would end up just grabbing onto the bottom and sitting down there for 30 seconds or more). Maximum depth was probably around 10-12 feet (I think near one of the sunken boats), and not a big problem.

--
Brian Davis