PDA

View Full Version : To Jimmy Rollins:

Scar
02-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Quote today by Carlos Beltran:

So this year, to Jimmy Rollins, we are the team to beat.

Yea baby! :muscles:

LETS GO METS!

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
:number1:Yeah maybe but if I remember right didn't the mets choke last year?What was the score of the last game in the 1st inning 9-1 or something like that.Yeah Jimmy may have mouthed of early last year but he was the MVP and hes the one who has Ryan Howard in camp early this year.He is a team player and not just an individual like them guys from NY.Oh and by the way for anyone who hasnt seen him play Howard does deserve the 10million he wants!!!!!!:number1:

:DGO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

P.S.Congrat on the Super Bowl ....Finally we got to see an officiating crew that didn't help the Pats win another Bowl

E.A.G.L.E.S......... EAGLES!!!!!!!!

Scar
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Yup, that's why Beltran is winning the MVP this year. :thumbsup:

Oh, and get your facts straight, the score was 7-1 after the 1st inning. ;)

If a 3rd year player is worth $10M (and he may be), what will he be worth after 6 when he's free agent eligible?

mreinventtt
02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
7-1 or 9-1 does not really matter what the Mets did at the end of last season was one of the biggest choke jobs down the stretch in sports history. I hope to hear from you at the end of the season when the Mets are out of playoff contension. Even with there recent addition to the starting rotation there still not good enough to win the division.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't care what hes worth after six all I care about is this year and winning the world series.You have to admit on paper the Phillys are better then the Mets this year.That doesn't make you less of a fan just more knowledgebale .I live 3 miles from Philly and we have the most passonite sports fans in the country.Im one of them If I thought the Mets were better then the Phillys I would tell you.There not look at the rosters and be real.

go phillys,eagles,flyer and yes sixers

Hammer
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Geez, spring training camps just opened and we are already trash talking ;) ?

I fully expected a Met to make a comment, I just wasn't sure if it would be Beltran or Pedro (who is also always good for a sound bite).

The arbitration hearing for Howard on Wednesday should be interesting. Don't be surprised if the arbitrator rules in favor of the Phillies. While most fans do think he is worth more the $7 million, though that equals the highest amount offered to a player in the first year of arbitration eligibility, I don't see him being awarded 10 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility. That would be too big of a jump for a first year arbitration salary benchmark, IMO.

I'm a Phillies ticket plan holder, Alyssa, but let's be realistic. I think our offense is better than the Mets, but you have to objectively see that the Mets starting rotation is stronger than the Phils. That does not mean they will automatically win the division. We will have to see how the Mets pitchers hold up over the course of the season.

PirateLover
02-17-2008, 02:54 AM
All I have to say is.... Go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scar
02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
You have to admit on paper the Phillys are better then the Mets this year.Sorry, but I don't. :D

I think our offense is better than the Mets, but you have to objectively see that the Mets starting rotation is stronger than the Phils. That does not mean they will automatically win the division.I would say that is a fair statement. And I would say that if Duaner Sanchez is as good as he was two years ago (and early reports say he's throwing good,) then The Mets just might have the best bullpen in the leauge.

Ian
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Gee, way to go out on a limb Beltran. At least Rollins showed some guts when he made his prediction. The Mets were better than the Phils last year AND they went out and signed arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball. Sheesh ... what a bold prediction, there Carlos. :shake:

Let's face it ... the Phils needed a miracle to beat the Mets for the division last year (and showed that they shouldn't have been in the playoffs in the first place by getting swept in the first round). The Phils certainly haven't gotten better in the off season and they may actually have gotten a little worse, with the loss of Aaron Rowand.

I'll wholeheartedly agree with Beltran ... the Mets are the team to beat in the NL East!

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Hammer I do agree that the mets starting rotation does look better on paper and our offense is better theirs.I am realisic(All us die hards say that) I know the Phillys are better then the Mets and if we don't make it to the playoffs ourselves we can count on the Mets to give us another NY choke to get us in:DIm gonna miss Rowand

WDW24
02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
:number1:Go Yankees!

Oh, and GO GIANTS!!!!! :number1: Super Bowl XLII Champs!

DAKustodial
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Ian,

If by "miracle" you mean the Phillies had to go out and beat the Mets 8 straight times when it counted down the stretch, than I guess you're right!

I know you're a Philly guy, let's see some hometown enthusiasm! The Phillies can put out a better lineup than the Mets every day. I agree that the Mets' rotatation is better, but remember Santana only pitches one out of every five days and you can't rely on Pedro to be healthy for a full year.

All I'm saying is, we wouldn't be talking about a Mets team that choked if the Phillies didn't beat them last September!

Ian
02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
If by "miracle" you mean the Phillies had to go out and beat the Mets 8 straight times when it counted down the stretch, than I guess you're right!

I know you're a Philly guy, let's see some hometown enthusiasm! The Phillies can put out a better lineup than the Mets every day. I agree that the Mets' rotatation is better, but remember Santana only pitches one out of every five days and you can't rely on Pedro to be healthy for a full year.But the Mets collapsed. It's not like only the Phils had to sweep them to make it happen and the Phils just gutted up and cleaned house.

During that same time frame the Mets also got swept by the Marlins and twice by the Nationals. I'm not going to necessarily credit the Phils for sweeping them 8 games when other, significantly inferior teams did the same thing. I still credit the Mets collapse for the Phils' sweeps more than I do the Phils high level of play.

As far as the Phils' lineup ... yeah, I agree. They're better overall than the Mets, but they still have too many strikeouts in their lineup and they did lose Rowand which I think will have a bigger impact than people realize.

And last but not least, in MLB pitching wins championships.

Hammer
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I thought the Phillies may win this arbitration as they have never lost an arbitration hearing, but I am glad Howard won (highlighting this part so as to not be misconstrued by certain people).

Howard Wins $10 Million in Arbitration

Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard takes infield practice on the first day of...
By ROB MAADDI, AP
Thu Feb 21, 10:31 AM EST
Ryan Howard won his salary arbitration case against the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday when he was awarded $10 million, the highest figure given a victorious player.

The 2006 NL MVP, who had been offered $7 million by the Phillies, became the first player to win in six arbitration cases this season.

Howard tied the record for the highest salary awarded in arbitration, received by Alfonso Soriano in his losing case against the Washington Nationals in 2006. Soriano had sought $12 million.

"I'm sure he's very pleased," Phillies assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "This has been a negotiation that has been very amicable and very professional. It's just a part of the process."

Howard was expected to speak to reporters after practice. He was in an upbeat mood following the hearing Wednesday.

Howard batted .268 with 47 homers and 136 RBIs last season in what was considered a down year for him. In 2006 he had 58 homers, 149 RBIs and a .313 average, one of the best seasons by a second-year player.

The 28-year-old first baseman has less than three years service time in the majors, partly because his path was blocked by Jim Thome. An injury to Thome during the 2005 season paved the way for Howard, who had 22 homers and 63 RBIs in just 88 games to win the NL Rookie of the Year award.

The case was decided by arbitrators Stephen Goldberg, Robert Bailey and Jack Clarke. The panel listened for nearly five hours as each side presented its arguments Wednesday in St. Petersburg.

Howard was represented by his agent, Casey Close. Houston Astros president Tal Smith, who represents many teams in these cases, handled the Phillies' side.

Amaro negotiated with Close right until the hearing began, but couldn't agree on a deal. Howard can't become a free agent until after the 2011 season. It's likely the Phillies will try to sign him to a long-term contract much sooner.

"We negotiated right up to the courthouse steps with Ryan in a variety of ways and unfortunately we couldn't get it done," Amaro said.

Owners previously defeated pitchers Brian Fuentes of Colorado, Jose Valverde of Houston and Chien-Ming Wang of the New York Yankees, along with Washington infielder Felipe Lopez and Astros infielder Mark Loretta.

Two players remain in arbitration: Los Angeles Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez and New York Mets pitcher Oliver Perez.

Philadelphia hadn't gone to arbitration since defeating Travis Lee in 2001 and had been 7-0 in arbitration decisions.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

joanna71985
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Let's go Mets!!!:number1:

PirateLover
02-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I still credit the Mets collapse for the Phils' sweeps more than I do the Phils high level of play.

I don't know, I think it was pretty equal. If the Phils hadn't won the games that they did, the Mets STILL would've been in the playoffs despite the "collapse." But if the Mets didn't collapse the Phils wouldn't have been in... so it took equal effort (or lack thereof) from both teams for the situation to end the way that it did.

I went to quite a few of those games and also watched I would say at least half of the season on TV. The Phils really stepped it up in big ways during that final stretch where in previous years they have tapered off and lost it. Yea they choked in the playoffs and I'm still bummed about that, but man it was electrifying to be in that stadium and you could tell that for once the Phillies players actually were feeding off of the fans and playing great ball instead of getting nervous and messing up. I am pumped for this season. I got my tickets today for opening night and I'm hoping to get a chance to buy opening day tickets. We are still weighing our options with partial plans because we don't know if we can justify the spending but I love this Phils team and I'm behind them 100%. Anything can happen.
LET'S GO FIGHTINS!
Oh and congratulations to Howard on winning arbitration :number1:

Ian
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not un-happy that Howard won, but I am pretty shocked. Very shocked, actually. That's a whole lot of money for a 2 year pro.

It's going to make it very, very hard for the Phils to ever sign him to a long-term deal. It's also just taken $3 million out of their payroll with which they could pay someone else.

I think it's excessive.

DizneyFreak2002
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Someone should tell Beltran MLB tests for pot use... Obviously he is smoking the funny cigs.... If I am not mistaken, didn't you have to be a WINNER to be considered the team to beat??? Didn't the Mets CHOKE last year and not even make the playoffs???? Mets the team to beat??? NO WAY!!! Get real... Until the Phillies are knocked out of the race, THEY are the team to beat in the NL (L)East.... And as far as being the team to beat in the NL in general, sorry, the Rockies are since they were in the World Series.. Again, until they are knocked out, they are the defending NK champs... And in MLB in general, (man this hurts to say this as a Yankee fan but...) the Red Sox are THE team to beat... Sorry Met fans, the Mets are not even on the same page as the Sox... The Red Sox are 1000 times better and would sweep the Mets in a World Series (Santana pitches like a little league player in Fenway)....

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Listen to anyone who is concerned about Howards long term effects on this arbitration hearing I dont care.All I want is a championship THIS YEAR.I dont need one every year.Im a long time Philly fan all sports(even the sixers) and I have never been to a parade.I was 7 years old the last time a team won anything.I need this bad and the Phils my have the best chance.GO FIGHTENS

Scar
02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. Beltran was (half) joking. He was acknowledging Rollins prediction from last year (when, by the way, the Phils were defending nothing.) Rollins and the Phils backed it up and now it’s time for The Mets to do the same.

I heard Jeff Wilpon today say that he spoke to Dave Montgomery and they both are encouraging their players to beef up this rivalry.

Hammer
02-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. Beltran was (half) joking. He was acknowledging Rollins prediction from last year (when, by the way, the Phils were defending nothing.) Rollins and the Phils backed it up and now it’s time for The Mets to do the same.

I heard Jeff Wilpon today say that he spoke to Dave Montgomery and they both are encouraging their players to beef up this rivalry.

I, for one, knew that Beltran was somewhat joking around. I did not have a chance to post it, but Jimmy joked that Beltran was a plagarist :funny: . I can't wait for the season to start ! :baseball:

Ian
02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I heard Jeff Wilpon today say that he spoke to Dave Montgomery and they both are encouraging their players to beef up this rivalry.But Montgomery was confused, because he thought the Phillies had already won the rivalry by virtue of keeping their payroll lower than the Mets. ;)

Scar
02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
But Montgomery was confused, because he thought the Phillies had already won the rivalry by virtue of keeping their payroll lower than the Mets. ;)Wow, you have a funny definition of won. I guess that comes from being a life long Eagles fan. ;)