PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to New Orleans???

trennedy
02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
We are taking our next family Disney vacation in October. We are very excited to stay at BC for the first time...we know it will be awesome, but I have question.

My DH and I would like to take a 3-4 day trip, just the two of us at the end of March. We are throwing out places that we'd like to go. We went to Key West a few years ago and loved it, have done Vegas a few times and would like to try something different. I went to New Orleans about 8 years ago for work. My DH has never been. We though it would be fun to go.

We like to have fun,:beer: and also to kick back and relax. We are looking into where would be good to stay. We think a B&B would be nice, but don't know anything about what would be nice. We want to have just a few days without the DS & DD. What suggestions do you have?

I appreciate your advice!!

Tracey

buzznwoodysmom
02-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Being from Louisisana I've spent loads of time in New Orleans. It is a great place to go to kick back, relax, eat some good food and have a nice romantic adult only trip. I've never stayed at any B&B in New Orleans, but last April DH, the kids and I spent a few nights in New Orleans over Easter break. We stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Burbon Street and loved it. It's now my favorite New Orelaeans hotel. The staff bent over backwards to make sure all guests were happy. The hotel and pool area were beautiful. The rooms were nice. We had breakfast on our last morning before leaving at the hotel restuarant and wished we had eaten there more on our short trip. The food was excellent. If you like the service you receive at Disney then you won't be disappointed in this place! Have a great time.

MsMin
02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm a native but now live in BR up the highway ;)
I still frequent there visiting friends. I'm sure we can help you if you just give us a little info on how your plans are shaping up. I don't know of any B&B there but I"m sure they have a couple. Many are up this way around the plantation homes and down River Road. It's fun to stay around the quarter and the River Walk in the city. You are welcome to PM any info that you are looking at and I'll be glad to tell you more or get someone who can. Since I do a lot of work in N.O. I study the areas that are not as nice and I'm sure that can help a tourist anywhere to know the areas to hit and to avoid.
So what do you enjoy... shopping, architecture history, arts, dining????

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
When I went I stayed at the Grand Boutique Hotel and that was really nice.

trennedy
02-16-2008, 02:02 PM
We want to stay in the French Quarter. I did look at the Royal Sonesta. It looked very nice. It doesn't have to be a B&B, we just want it to be a nice place, very close to Bourban Street and good food and music.

Thanks for all the great help!!!:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-17-2008, 12:26 AM
We were supposed to stay at the Hotel Monaco a few years ago before our cruise but our flight was cancelled and we got to New Orleans about 2 hours before the cruise sailed so we didn't get to see too much. I'd love to go back again.
I just tried to look up the Hotel Monaco and couldn't access the web site. Maybe it's not there anymore?

Frog
02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Two years ago this March we took our first trip (drove) to Disney and stayed at POFQ. On the way home, we stopped in New Orleans and tried our best to educate the girls on some of the culture of the area... had breakfast beniets (SP?) and tooled around before hitting the road to finish off the trip... Neat to be able to tie the connection of the places together for our girls...

MNNHFLTX
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
My husband and I have stayed at two places in New Orleans that we have loved. One is the Hotel Le Pavilion--it's not in the French Quarter proper, but sits on the end of Bourbon Street next to the Business District, so it's within easy walking distance of most of the French Quarter. The facade and lobby are quite formal and while the rooms tend to be small, they are nicely decorated (and one of my favorite things is that there are doorbells outside every room!) There is also a rooftop pool and hot tub with a fantastic view of New Orleans.

We have also enjoyed staying at the Maison Dupuy Hotel in the French Quarter. The rooms are larger and beautifully done. The courtyard (with pool) is very lovely and has tables to sit at in the evenings and enjoy a glass of wine. And they have valet indoor parking (which you pay for, but at least you don't have to worry about finding a safe place to park!)

Wayne
02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
My wife and I like the Place de Armes. It is right at Jackson Square. Just about a block from the Cafe Dumond. Convenient to everything in the Quarter.

mymickeymouse
02-24-2008, 04:13 AM
in the Quarter, try Dauphin Orleans, a converted, restored old building, which is very nice, and usually reasonably priced; it is two or three blocks from Bourbon, but still close enough to walk. For a very good steak, try Bourbon House, on Bourbon St!!!!! mui excellente!!!!!:party::party:

princessesmom
02-26-2008, 03:52 PM
My husband and I went to NO in 1999 for a quick 3 nights away from the kids. It was great! We stayed at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street. I was very nice and the location could not be beat. We got a cab to/from the airport and were able to walk or take public transportation everywhere else. Great place to get away as a couple.