PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon on Valentines Day 2008

ITAce
02-16-2008, 08:24 AM
My spouse and I ate at Whisperin Canyon on Valentines Day. Had a 6:20 res and left MK at 4:30. Rode monorail to transportation center and took our truck over to Wilderness Lodge. We are local so we went home after dinner. We got to the Lodge in time to sit and rest up from all day at MK. The sofas in the lobby are comfortable. We like to go up to the 4th, 5th, and 7th floors and sit in those sofas and chairs. It is not as loud or busy and the atmosphere is more romantic. Checked in at 6:15 and was seated in 10 minutes.

When we first arrived in the lobby a small group was seated near the sofa by the front door. They had a loud young child that was vomiting in a bag. We kept moving to find a place where people were less loquacious. Wilderness Lodge has many places to sit quietly and enjoy the atmosphere.

The menu at the WC was not the same as the one posted on Intercot. The Canyon Skillet was $24.99 and did not have sausage. It had unpeeled boiled shrimp. The milk shakes were all you could drink and were $6. We ordered one and shared 4 of them. We normally get one meal and split it when we dine out. Keeps us from eating as much and costs less. This being our Valentine Dinner we splurged and got an appetizer and two entrees and the milkshake. The appetizer was the chips and salsa and chili cheese dip. We loved them but the price was $8. My wife got the canyon skillet and asked them to hold the pulled pork. She got the skillet and they held all the pork. No pork and beans and no ribs. She asked them to bring her ribs and beans and they brought out two slabs of ribs and one cup of beans. lol... We ate really good dry rub ribs and beans for three days.

They had a $21 10 ounce Prime Rib on the menu. I ordered the end cut and asked for it to be hot. So many restaurants serve Prime Rib and it is always luke warm to cold. I know it is a roast that is prepared in advance. I always ask for it to be hot and hope I get it warm. I got a huge end cut. It was a bit overcooked but had a wonderful smoky flavor. It was the most smoky tasting prime rib I have ever tasted. It was not 10 oz. It was more like 16 to 20 ounces. I took a bit of butter as soon as it arrived and spread it over the meat and it did not melt. This was just a test to see how hot the meat was. It does not hurt the flavor either. I cut off about 4 oz and ate it with a bit of mashed taters and green beans. I put the rest in the take out box and had it later.

They brought us a sweet corn bread at the start of our meal that was a bit on the dry side. The salad dressing on my wifes salad was much like one her grandmother used to make. It was very good and the greens were crisp and fresh. She had enough salad for the two of us with a bit left over.

The total for the meal with a 20% tip was $77 dollars. Was the food worth it. No. Was the atmosphere and entertainment of Whispering Canyons Cafe worth it yes. We also left with two to go boxes and three days worth of food. We have no young children anymore. Our oldest is 25 and youngest is 20 now. Our middle child, our only son passed at 19 due to cancer in the blood (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia). We have no grand babies yet. I can't wait! We so enjoyed seeing the kids at WCC ride on the wood horse head stick horses and holler for kettttttccccchhhhhuuuuuppppp! I saw one boy around 11 years old carry six ketchup bottles at one time.lol:mickey: We also had one young person ask us to do the hoky poky for his birthday. We did the short version, right arm, left leg, whole body. Had not done the hoky poky since cancer kid camp in 2002. We also got to sing happy birthday as loud and obnoxiously as possible. My wife loved that as she can't sing and that is her normal singing voice.;)

We had a great day at the MK and a wonderful Valentines Dinner at Whispering Canyon. Wish you all could have been there with us.

Florida Resident Annual Pass Holder

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Puke in a bag I dont know if I could have eaten after that and why would anyone bring a child out if he were that sick.

#1donaldfan
02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
YUCK !!!! I'd have moved too....:ack:

I think I enjoyed waiting for our table more than actually eating / playing...those chairs in the lobby area are awesome!!

For us the meal was just ok, I'd have to say we've had better. We were not aware that you had to make sure your waiter actually wanted to "play", we didn't and surely had a "dud". Our three kids were sorta disappointed about that, but had some fun running around with the horses, etc....I had to get up and do a love song dance thing to my wife, that was kinda weird, as I can't sing or dance...

I think if we go back someday to WC, I'll just sleep in the lobby while the fam goes in to eat............:(

Jared
02-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience. I've never tried Whispering Canyon Cafe, but it sounds delicious.

:tasty:

vamaggie
02-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Puke in a bag I dont know if I could have eaten after that and why would anyone bring a child out if he were that sick.

Because people do not use common sense sometimes! Personal pet peeve of mine. I don't like to "throw money away" but if my child is sick, even at WDW, I would keep them in and resting and not infecting the rest of the world. It really irritates me that people take sick kids on planes (especially to WDW) when they know they are sick and contagious and then the rest of us also get sick. Airline air is bad enough w/o adding to it. Ok, done venting.

KylesMom
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your WCC Valentine's Day dinner! While the food can be a bit pricey, we've found the fun and service make dining there enjoyable each and every time! Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

ITAce
02-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Gosh, sorry I mentioned the sick child. Did not bother me much. It did bring back some hard feelings. After having a child fight cancer for four years you get to where the sickness is kind of normal. :ack:

The WCC was a fun experience. We enjoyed the noise, distractions, and participatory opportunities. The food was average and the price is so high it only makes since to share meals. The staff did not seem to mind us sharing even though some items were all "you care to eat." I made sure to tip 20%.

Please note: WCC might not be comfortable or enjoyable for introverts.:crowd: