PDA

View Full Version : Just Us: PART 4a- EC (Our Favorite) General & Attractions

RoosMomKanga
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
PART 4a- EC (Our Favorite) General & Attractions

EC
• General
o France- Shops
• We were really disappointed with the shopping here. We’re taking the family + DB to Disneyland Paris in May and although we knew there wouldn’t be any DLP Merchandise, we were hoping to get some “Paris” shirts/merchandise to surprise everyone with here. It was all very tacky and we ended up buying nothing.

o Germany
• Shops- My DH grew up on an army base in Germany so we always love this pavilion. The shops were disappointing. My DH collects Steinbach ornaments, but the selection was terrible. I would have paid the premium prices; we’ve bought them here before, if they had something nice. We’ve found the same yucky ones at TJMaxx for 1/3 the price. Even the Haribo Gummi Bears were beyond outrageous (my DH doesn’t eat sweets except for these- I swear he lives on them $.99 at WalMart- $3.49 at Disney- same package). I would have loved to see some Erzgebirge wooden toys and playsets. I collect the tiny people, animals, curled wood carved trees, etc. and can’t believe they still don’t sell any of this there.
• Courtyard- It’s my favorite place to sit. Grab a beer from the “Bier” cart and find a seat on the bench to people watch as the sun goes down. A CM was sharing his favorite hidden Mickey’s with everyone (check out the center of the crown on the left king on the second floor of the building on your right as you enter the pavilion- over the “Bier” cart). Watch the clock on the half and hour.

o Japan-Shops
• Found our one semi-unique item for this trip. A super soft “Hello Kitty” towel wrap (Velcro top, arm straps) $19.50 + tax, selling these like hotcakes they said (all the HS/College girls were buying them so I figured it was a safe bet for my DD- 20).

o Canada- Souvenir Carts
• Found a couple of funny items here for family back home. T-shirts “Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder”, “I give in to Beer Pressure”, “Well Aged” with a wine glass (also on an apron), all about $20 + tax.

o Mouse Gears- Shop
• Bought 2 retro WDW T-shirts for my boys $24 + Tax ea.

• Attractions
o Soarin’
• We were at the park for EMH (Tues., 2/12) about 15 min. early, went through ticket booths, and were at the rope drop about 5 min. before opening. We went to the small area/rope on the right between the trees, but I would recommend going to the main rope, and then heading to the left as you go between the Innoventions breezeway (right side was very congested). Cast members lead you- walked (very fast) to the Land (**keep in mind if you have a stroller or wheelchair to walk to the left at the entrance to the Land as the strollers were tripping everyone up as they realized they had to go up the left ramp). After entering doors the cast member walk to the left but you have to go right, down the ramp, then down the stairs or escalator to the bottom level (where Food Rocks was). The FP booths are just to the right of the entrance.
• I didn’t do this, but I would next time: wait and ask to be seated in the row that goes highest (I believe row 3?). You do loose some of the effect seeing feet dangling.
• I get motion sickness on everything and I just closed my eyes when the motion went fast. The motion is very smooth (I don’t even do Star Tours anymore because of the sharp jostling-I have a bad back and it’s hard to adjust for the motions when you have your eyes closed).
• Just an FYI- On Soarin’ FP: My DH went to the FP machines without checking the return times first. The hour happened to fall during our TS dinner ADR so I knew we wouldn’t make it. I asked at the desk near Soarin’ and they told me it’s good any time up until they closed at 9pm (past our FP expiration time). We made it back just before they closed and it did work. BTW- Heard some here say they weren’t checking the start times on FP’s…they did for us, every time.

o Mission Space
• I rode the Green side (again, I get extreme motion sickness). I found I did not like the claustrophobia of the 4 person small units and the screens that come toward you. It was very bumpy (similar to Star Tours) and even though I closed my eyes for some of it, I still felt a little nauseated all day.
• Postcards from Space- At exit to MS. We always do this. Suggest you let the recipients know that they can cut and paste the link into their browser (it will say this on the email they receive, but several of our recipients tried just opening it and ran into downloads, other issues, and were never able to see the postcards. The link works for 90 days.

o Ellen’s Energy Adventure
• It was our third time at EC and we’d done everything we wanted to during EMH at FW. I was trying to find something else to do on the last 20 min. of EMH. I was pretty sure I knew this (Energy isn’t open during EMH), and I had the EMH list in my backpack, but I asked two CM’s this question and they both told me that “Oh yeah, Energy is open by now”…we walked over since we were right there…sure enough…they don’t open until reg. opening time. Actually, I wanted to know the timing of the first show. I figured it wouldn’t be until about 9:30, but after two wrong answers, I gave up on this one. We did it later…it still needs some updating.

o The Seas with
• Nemo & Friends Ride-Liked the new ride and the end with the animation in the aquarium.
• We missed seeing more of the actual aquarium more. I guess it’s a trade off.
• Turtle Talk with Crush- I think we were the only adults without kids in there. It was a really cute show and the kids had a blast with the interactive questions with Crush.

o Imagination!
• Figment- closed while we were there…love him!
• Honey, I Shrunk the Audience- This is still a fun show, but it was the most miserable queue of our trip. I asked and the CM said 10 min. until the next show. Well, we waited in a HOT waiting room (it was only about 75-78 degrees outside, but much hotter in there!) for more than 10 min., then about 15 min. more in the pre-show HOT room before they would even start the pre-show. “Please move to the front and left” about a hundred times, and “Please stand”. I think the worst part is that there isn’t a queue, just 2 huge rooms where they pack people in like sardines. The pre-show was a cute new story-line, but I miss the old “True Colors” song/show and thought it was better. The show was fun as always.

o Mexico
• Gran Fiesta Tour- Liked the addition of the Three Caballeros, but I missed the old song at the end.
• Artifacts- We must be among the minority who enjoy the history, museum pieces at the pavilions. We were disappointed to see that all the artifacts at the entrance were gone and were replaced with examples of the wood carving/painting crafts they were selling inside.

dolphinmickey9170
02-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Another fine report!! Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

RedheadWriter
02-16-2008, 06:28 AM
:mickey:I wanto say again that I LOVE your reports and the way you are formatting them. Off to read more!!!

pdrlkr
02-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

Bethis26fan
02-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing.

January-2007
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the trip report!

faline
02-21-2008, 06:23 PM
It's too bad they don't carry more unique items in the countries!

DisneyorBust
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. It seems to me that the overall shopping experience has declined at WDW. Most of the stores carry all of the same merchandise and the World Showcase Pavillions have less unique items than ever before.

tinkerbell04
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I feel the same way about the world showcase shops now! Thanks for sharing, I really like the way you format your reports :mickey: