PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the pros of Wilderness Lodge

JennyAnne
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
We are looking at possibly staying at Wilderness Lodge for three nights in June. Please let me know some of the pros of this hotel. The theming is not exactly what I would pick (I'm more the CBR, BC mode) but I'm thinking that three days there might be the perfect time to try this place. It was the choice of my boyfriend and I don't know much about it.

Please let me know what you loved about this place!

Catzle
02-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Let me tell you the Poly is more my kind of place due only to the theming, I love the Hawaii feel of the place. I live up north and just didn't want to stay at the WL. Well last year we did and we loved it. The atmosphere is great the pools and grounds are perfect. The transportation was perfect. We loved to watch the geiser go off. The hot tubs were nice after a long day at the park. They have very good ice cream. I can't think of one bad thing to say about it. I would stay there again for sure!

DreamFinder2
02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm with both of the previous posters in saying it wouldn't be my first choice...but we stayed there a few years back with my parents and DW's sister & boyfriend. We all loved it. Great food choices, excellent theming (you still have to be impressed, even if you're not the "northwoods/camping" type) and wonderful staff.

You won't be disappointed.

rj
02-16-2008, 08:59 AM
We have been twice to WL and we love it. The theming is great and they have a nice pool. The boat transportation to MK is pretty quick.

It is one of our favorite resorts. You will love it.

Here we go again...
02-16-2008, 09:13 AM
There is just something about the Wilderness Lodge... It takes my breath away.
When we stayed there we were lucky ebough to have a castle view room. I mean a REAL castle view... I would lay in bed and watch it change colors.

When you are at WL you seem to be taking a vaction from your vacation... you leave the park and enter this peaceful world. Sit by the fireplace (or the babbling brook) with some hot chocolate and all of your problems go away.

There are even "hidden" areas on other floors with more sitting areas and fireplaces.

WL is by far my favorite resort. Theming and food choices are great. And, my family laughs at me because i cry every time it comes into view the first time on our trips.

Now that we are DVC members I am hoping to stay at the villas. Wish me luch for November!!!

Jenemmy
02-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I am the type of person that is deliriously happy at the mere sight of a Palm Tree -- all things tropical are right up my ally. That being said -- Wilderness Lodge is hands down my favorite resort at WDW! It is just simply gorgeous and so immerses you in a different time and place that it is hard not to get involved in it.

The lobby, the music, the courtyard -- all just gorgeous. Now, maybe if I didn't have my palm trees to see going to the parks each day, I would feel differently -- but you sort of get the best of both worlds by exploring Disney property by day and coming back to your cozy lodge at night. I think a 3 night trip would be the perfect time to see if WL is for you :mickey:

JennyAnne
02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! Debbie at YMJ is going to handle everything for us. I agree that three days is a perfect amount of time to see if I like WL. If we love it, we can stay there again. If not, it was just a three day trip and not a full-blown vacation. You have all made me feel better about our choice!

Good luck getting those villas in November!

:mickey:

vamaggie
02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
PROS:

* Everything mentioned above.
* The easy boat to MK & CR
* Watching the EWP at night
* WCC
* Artist Point
* The intricate woodworking

We stayed at WL twice and loved it. YOu get the amenities of a deluxe with a slightly smaller price tag. Would not hesitate staying there again!

jefmblrd
02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I have to agree with some of the earlier posters that there is just "something" about Wilderness Lodge that we just fell in love with.

They did an incredible job with the theming
as before you even reach the resort, the trees and foliage start to change so they are more in line with the Pacific Northwest- you just get a completely different feel when you are there.

The lobby is breathtaking with the high ceilings and the decor: the fireplace and totems. It's also nice how the pool starts as a spring in the lobby and then becomes a waterfall outside before going into the pool. And of course the geyser is really fun.

The location is incredible; I loved taking the boat to MK, and it's a great place to watch the Electrical Water Pageant at night.

But most of all, the place just seems to have that certain "something" that so many people, including us. just love.

GrmGrninGost
02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
There is no doubt WL is my favorite resort! IMHO it is the most beautiful of all! The theming is outstanding! The food is great! The transportation is very good! The pool is wonderful! The hot tubs are great! I love their gift shop! And, for a deluxe, the prices aren't too bad! Go and try it, I think you'll love it! :mickey:

sillyolbear
02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Ditto to all the previous comments. There is something about the theming (and I would be the first to say GF, BW, SSR is more my style) that is awe inspiring to me. Great restaurant in Artist Point and a great pool area.

I would definitely try it once.

jpH/keD
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
We had dinner at WCC in Nov 07. When we walked into the lobby and the HUGE Christmas tree was all lit up in the center that place was the most beautiful place I had ever seen! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. 3 days is nothing! I don't think you will be disappointed even if you are not going for the holidays.

And they have boat transportation. Any place that offers an alternative to the busses is the place for me!

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I just got back from the Wl last week.Feb 1-8 if you read my trip report you will see we found almost nothing wrong with this resort.Its almost perfect.The only thing I would suggest is stay away from the rooms next to the service elevators/stairs.Room 6061 through 6057 on all floors its loud and you will not get a good night sleep.Other then that you should have a great time.

jillluvsdisney
02-16-2008, 01:39 PM
The Wl is a delux resort but not as expensive at the POLY or GF. The rooms have queen sized beds instead of doubles. The resort has a marina that you can rent boats and sea racers at. It also has a nice quiet beach to relax at. The main pool area is beautiful. You have boat tranport to MK, FW and CR. You can see the Electric Water pagent from the beach and dock areas. The lobby is an awesome place to relax also. Both TS reastaurants are good. Artist Pointe is outstanding. Our last trip there was in November and the cast members thru out the whole resort were just great.

ledudes
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I would say the only thing I see as a pro is the decor. It was a nice resort and a great lobby, but I didn't really love anything else about it. It is close to Magic Kingdom, but you must still take a bus or boat to get there. With the contemporary, Polynesian or Grand Floridian, it is nice to be able to ride the monorail to Epcot or MK.

scootch713
02-17-2008, 07:19 PM
My girls absolutely LOVE it..... we have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, and POFQ before. The best kept secret is the bus to MK, does not stop anywhere else, about a 3 min ride... quicker than the monorail!

chicagochris
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
My wife and I stayed at the WL for our honymoon, and really enjoyed it.

She, like several of the posters in this thread, did not think it would be her cup of tea, but was very impressed by the theming and beauty of the grounds.

If you like a little more "quiet" in your resort time, be sure to ask for a room that is in the wing adjacent to the Villas. We were in this area of the resort, and it was very quiet and calm at night and in the mornings. Our balcony had a lovely view, and in the mornings we were not disturbed by lobby/atrium noise.

We also made use of the far less crowded Villa pool and hot tub, which was very relaxing. A few mornings we had the entire thing to ourselves, and it was a great way to start our day.

PirateLover
02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
We haven't stayed there yet but we visited it on our most recent trip and we LOVED the theming and just walking around the resort. We will definitely try it out in the future.

Nicki'sMom
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
We stayed Sept 07 for 7 nights and had a fabulous visit. We love that this resort has indoor corridors to get to your room instead of separate buildings. It makes it feel nicer to me. People were friendly and the food court was good. Had a great stay.