PDA

View Full Version : 'The Mole' Returns!

Melanie
02-15-2008, 05:46 AM
From Variety.com

ABC bringing back 'The Mole' :spy:

Reality show scheduled for summer trek

"The Mole" has come out of hiding.

ABC has given a 10-episode order to Stone & Co. Entertainment ("Tim Gunn's Guide to Style") to revive the reality competish, which hasn't aired in four years.

Casting and pre-production have begun on the show, which will likely start shooting later this spring. ABC is looking to run "The Mole" this summer.

"This is a show we honestly love and people ask us about all the time," said ABC Entertainment alternative series senior VP John Saade, who added that plans were afoot to dig out "The Mole" even before the writers' strike.

"We were looking to bring the show back even when the writers were working," he said.

The first two editions of "The Mole," which aired in 2001 and 2002, earned ABC's top marks among adult 18-34 auds in both of those years. ABC then ran two seasons of "Celebrity Mole," in midseason 2003 and 2004.

Stone Stanley Prods., which produced all four "Mole" segs, dissolved in 2004. But principal Scott Stone said he kept a fire burning for the show, and has been looking to revive it under his new shingle for years.

"It was just about getting the timing right," Stone said.

The hiccup: Rights to "The Mole" had reverted back to Belgium company TTTI, which owns the format. Stone, who's repped by WMA, finally managed to close a new deal to license the show two months ago.

"If anyone asks me what my favorite show has been, I've answered 'The Mole,'" Stone said. "Not surprisingly, this has been a passion of mine since the option lapsed three or four years ago. In my staff meeting every week, people would say, 'Don't even bring it up.' I kept throwing it out that it was eventually going to be the right time. And it perennially ends up on lists of people's favorite reality shows. That kept the fires burning inside me."

The revived "Mole" will revert back to the original format, sans celebs.

Show features contestants traveling across a foreign country completing tasks and solving puzzles in order to add money to the winner's pot. At the same time, they're trying to figure out which of their competitors is actually "The Mole" -- a player planted to sabotage the game and limit the money won.

At the end of each episode, players take a quiz; lowest-score sends someone packing. Person who's left standing alongside the Mole wins the money pot -- which could be as much as $1 million, but ultimately came to $510,000 in season one and $636,000 in season two.

Stone said the new version has been simplified, but said he hasn't "dumbed it down."

"We simplified it to where the people at home can play along," he said. "And the quiz will be much shorter than in the past."

Anderson Cooper, who hosted the first two editions, remains at CNN and isn't available to host; Ahmad Rashad, who hosted the celeb editions, hasn't been asked to return. Stone said he's scouting for a host in Cooper's vein.

"We're looking for someone in the Anderson mode, a little mysterious but full of comedy," he said. "It could be a breakout role for someone."

"Celebrity Mole" won an Emmy in 2004 for Outstanding Achievement in Enhanced Television.

-----------------------------------------------------

I loved this show. A big draw for me was Anderson Cooper, so I'm glad they are trying to find someone similar. Look forward to the return!

ChipnDaleGal
02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
I loved this show. A big draw for me was Anderson Cooper, so I'm glad they are trying to find someone similar. Look forward to the return!

Me too Mel. I really enjoyed this show and am excited at it's return, but I will miss Anderson.

DizneyRox
02-15-2008, 06:26 AM
This is one of the best reality shows ever. It's a very smart show, which I think led to it's dmise. I'm glad it's coming back. We can only hope people actually get it this time and it's here to stay!

Carol
02-15-2008, 07:26 AM
The revived "Mole" will revert back to the original format, sans celebs.Thank goodness.

I miss Anderson too. :( He was an excellent host.

LarryBoy
02-15-2008, 08:26 AM
We loved The Mole :thumbsup:, and hated The Celebrity Mole :down:. Anderson Cooper was great as the host, I think he really made the show. The key to this show being a success will be finding a good host. I always liked Ahmad, but he didn't seem right for the part. Of course it may have been that the celebs seemed so dumb, in what was previously an intelligent show. I hope they can make it good again.

scottgr
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Cool, I loved that show also. I can't wait till it comes back. :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh goodie, we were just talking the other day about how we miss this show.

DakotaDisney
02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Cool!:thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing it. The original was a good show. It was fun to try to figure out who the mole was.

KarenP
02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
The Mole was my absolute favorite reality show. I am so glad they are bringing it back. I am really going to miss Anderson Cooper as the host though. He was awesome!

tinkerbell04
02-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I LOVE the Mole I am so psyched that it is coming back! I wish Anderson Cooper could be on there as the host though, I think that he really made the show. I too am glad that they are trying to get someone similar to host it. :mickey:

dw2649
02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Fox reality channel occasionally shows reruns of the Mole season 1. Check your local listings for the time and channel. They may show season 2 as well, but I have not seen it (then again I really have not looked).

That being said, I am really looking forward to another season. The "Celebrity" editions with Amahd(SP?) Rashad hosting were terrible.

2Epcot
02-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Not to say anything bad about my two favorite reality shows, Big Brother, and The Amazing Race, but the Mole is without a doubt my all time favorite reality show. Anytime I talk about this show I tell people this was the smartest reality show that has ever been done. I'm very excited about the show coming back. If anyone has only seen the celebrity version, that is NOT the true Mole show. Anderson Cooper was great as the host ... I hope they find a good replacement.

From Variety.com

ABC bringing back 'The Mole' :spy:

The revived "Mole" will revert back to the original format, sans celebs.

Stone said the new version has been simplified, but said he hasn't "dumbed it down."

"We simplified it to where the people at home can play along," he said. "And the quiz will be much shorter than in the past."

I'm a little worried to hear the new version being "simplified", even though they claim not "dumbed down". I guess I'll have to wait and see if it still has the feel of the original Mole.

DizneyRox
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes, I used to play at home with the "old" version just fine, so hopefully they haven't dumbed it down too much, but I wouldn't put it past them.

It was fun looking for the clues, may favotire being: BiLL iS tHe mOlE in the intro. Great stuff!

Tink2002
02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
We were just discussing this show at work the other night and wondering if we'd ever see it again. woohooo!

AdventurerKim
02-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I loved "The Mole" and watched all of the seasons! I have missed this show. I don't watch reality TV, but I really liked this show because the players had to use their brains to advance and be very observant and take notes in their journals in order to stay in the game. I loved when Kathryn was revealed as the mole in season 1(?) and she walked into the stadium. I hadn't thought it was her.

2Epcot
05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Getting excited about the Mole now that more promos are showing on ABC. Hopefully the quality is as good as the original one.

IamBelle
05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
yes i luv this show! hey, is that what the "mole was here" thing is after every abc commercial?

chrisb26
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm also excited about the new season of The Mole.

However I find it funny they are calling it the series premier since technically it isn't a new series but thats alright.

I don't think I ever watched the Mole when it was on TV I started watching once it went on Fox Reality.

HndrdPrcnt
05-16-2008, 05:41 PM
My DW and I are SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited that the Mole is coming back!! This was our favorite show of all time. We really enjoyed having to use our brain and looking for clues to whom the Mole was. It will be so great to have it back and I am excited about the idea of having the audience be able to play along!! Can't wait!!:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
05-24-2008, 01:15 AM
I can't wait 'til June 2nd!!!!! No more watching reruns of celebrity mole!

DH and I were so addicted to this show and we always wanted to try out for it. It looks a little more "extreme" than it used to be, so maybe the days of dreaming of being the mole are over for us. :cry:

brertosh
05-24-2008, 05:35 AM
We loved The Mole :thumbsup:, and hated The Celebrity Mole :down:. Anderson Cooper was great as the host, I think he really made the show. The key to this show being a success will be finding a good host. I always liked Ahmad, but he didn't seem right for the part. Of course it may have been that the celebs seemed so dumb, in what was previously an intelligent show. I hope they can make it good again.

100% agree with everything you said. The Mole Rocks!!

tyandskyesmom
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
WOW! We actually never watched it before it was Celebrity Mole...and we thought that was fun so judging from everyone's opinions here, we should love the "real" Mole!

Melanie
05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
WOW! We actually never watched it before it was Celebrity Mole...and we thought that was fun so judging from everyone's opinions here, we should love the "real" Mole!

Honestly, I didn't mind Celebrity Mole (Stephen Baldwin and Corbin Bernsen cracked me up), but I really missed Anderson Cooper.

So who is the new host?

2Epcot
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Honestly, I didn't mind Celebrity Mole (Stephen Baldwin and Corbin Bernsen cracked me up), but I really missed Anderson Cooper.

So who is the new host?

According to the ABC website ...

Jon Kelly is the new host.

Jon Kelley co-hosted "Extra's" one-hour weekend edition and was the show's primary correspondent for the daily show from 2001 through 2007. In December, he co-hosted ABC's "Holiday with the Stars" and just recently co-hosted ABC's "All-star Tribute to Movies" on Oscar Sunday. Kelley's diverse broadcast career has spanned over 15 years in news, sports and entertainment.

(there is more of his bio on the ABC site)

MegaDisney
05-30-2008, 08:14 PM
LOVE this show! TiVo set!

Minnie Imagineer
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Last night, June 2nd, the Mole returned to ABC! This us the 1st time I was going to watch the Mole and I was so excited because people are always raving about it! I watched it last night and fell in love with it! A friend told me that in each episode, they put clues to who the mole is on random items or other.
This is somewhat of a spoiler I guess:
During the 1st challenge where they jumped over the water fall to catch the bag of money, everyone had on a standard black helmet. However, when Victoria (i think thats her name, she is an interior designer) went, she had a giant green fingerprint on her helmet! I think shes the Mole!!! If you didnt tape the episode, watch that part on youtube or something.

I really want to see if my prediction is correct!
Who do you believe the Mole is???

tinkerbell04
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Last night, June 2nd, the Mole returned to ABC! This us the 1st time I was going to watch the Mole and I was so excited because people are always raving about it! I watched it last night and fell in love with it! A friend told me that in each episode, they put clues to who the mole is on random items or other.
This is somewhat of a spoiler I guess:
During the 1st challenge where they jumped over the water fall to catch the bag of money, everyone had on a standard black helmet. However, when Victoria (i think thats her name, she is an interior designer) went, she had a giant green fingerprint on her helmet! I think shes the Mole!!! If you didnt tape the episode, watch that part on youtube or something.

I really want to see if my prediction is correct!
Who do you believe the Mole is???

I have no idea who the mole is! i didn't catch the helmet piece though. I have it DVR'd so I will go back and check it out again!

J9
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I noticed the fingerprint on her helmet too! It was so noticeable! I can't remember if she caught her bag or not though...

Also, I miss Anderson Cooper. I think this new host guy sounds a little too much like Tay Zonday. i wish Anderson Cooper could have come back. He really did make that show.

JanetMegan
06-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Well I watched the first episode last night and was pretty disapponted so far. I don't know, maybe I am used to the fast pace of Amazing Race but I thought the show was kind of slow and boring and I really didn't like the new host. I'll probably give it a week or so only cause it's summer and not much is on, but so far-eh.

ChipnDaleGal
06-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I am missing Anderson Cooper very much as the host. This new guy is okay as far as personality goes, but his voice is going to drive me crazy in the voice over sections. It is so deep and has some odd inflections.

I don't know names yet, but I was glad to see that first girl go. I thought it was rotten of her to pick the older woman to sleep outside that first night. Mole karma bit her! :thumbsup:

Minnie Imagineer
06-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I noticed the fingerprint on her helmet too! It was so noticeable! I can't remember if she caught her bag or not though...

The girl, Victoria, did not catch the bag. She started off ok, then she way like "oh i fell", and so it looked like she didn't try very hard. I am positive it's her!

Minnie Imagineer
06-06-2008, 03:59 PM

The girl, Victoria, did not catch the bag. She started off ok, then she way like "oh i fell", and so it looked like she didn't try very hard. I am positive it's her!

tinkerbelle75
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
The OB/Gyn woman on there reminds me so much of OMAROSA!! Hopefully she's not the mole so she can get going soon.....i'm just sayin.....

2Epcot
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
The first couple of episodes have been OK, but doesn't seem quite right. I also enjoyed Anderson Cooper better then John Kelly. So far the tasks have not been as "smart" as the original Mole ... Not sure if this what they meant by dumbing down the show.

Minnie Imagineer
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
ok so to recap on how I think Victoria is the mole, I have some more evidence from episode 2....
in the intro, the screen very quickly flashed the letters/#s: 8VFJK ...what could this mean??? well, i'm supposing that 'V' is for Victoria. Also, during the waterfall challenge (ep 1), Victoria went 8th. Furthurmore, Victoria has 8 letters in her name!!!
I will continue my investigation, but for now I believe Victoria is the mole!!!

Minnie Imagineer
06-29-2008, 12:42 PM
ok...so last episode, victoria was 'executed'. this ruins all of my theories that she is the mole!!!! Anyone have any thoughts on who the mole is now? Mark (soccer coach) is a good possibility.

Altair
06-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't think it was possible for any of the contestants to complete the brick challenge in under 50 minutes if at all. A 2000 foot increase in elevation, at altitude, carrying 20 to 50 pounds. I would think very few people could do this task.:confused:

AdventurerKim
06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I think it could be Mark or Alex or Kristin. They all seem somewhat unassuming, which is how I view the past moles, celebrity and non-celebrity. Paul and Nicole are too obvious. I'm surprised the mole hasn't tried to get rid of either or both of them yet bc they're getting to be annoying. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow night! :thumbsup:

I miss Anderson Cooper! He was the best host! :)

Minnie Imagineer
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
....is tonight in about 5 minutes!
quick- who do you think it is??? I think it's Mark and Nicole will win the game.

I still do believe, however, my theory that Victoria is the mole (even though she is not on the show anymore....). Maybe she will come back! lol!

:D

aurora, ariel, and bell
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Nicole is the mole. Mark will win..totally opposite of you!:mickey:

Minnie Imagineer
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
SPOLIER ALERT (if you haven't seen the finale yet!)
:spoiler:

Mark won! yey!!! I wanted him to win...I didn't think he would though. And Craig was the mole?!? I didn't expect that!!

And what was with those clues they gave out in each episode?! Those were impossible!

Jenemmy
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Believe it or not, I had Craig picked for a few weeks now. I'm not even sure why. Just my gut instinct -- which is usually horribly wrong!I really wanted Mark to win, so I was glad he did. Amazing how close he came to being executed a few times!

IamBelle
08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

I am so glad Mark won, he deserved it, (Nicole is a doctor, he's a teacher) I knew Craig was the Mole 3 weeks b4 the finale. I love how they show the hints about the mole's identity. (i remember the school bell thing and I totally dismissed it!)

MegaDisney
08-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I had wanted Craig to win and didn't suspect him, I thought Nicole was the Mole. Craig was the best Mole EVER!

I didn't care for Mark, but I am glad he won over Nicole.

It was CRAZY how close Mark came to getting executed!

AdventurerKim
08-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I knew it couldn't be Nicole since she was so obviously sabotaging tasks so often. I'm glad Mark won bc he was there for a good reason. I was surprised it was Craig, but he was unassuming. I thought the mole was either Mark or Craig. Those clues were impossible! How could you see some or even know what they meant unless you taped every episode and freeze framed a lot. I can't wait for the next season! :)