PDA

View Full Version : Dale Jr. wins first Gatorade 125!!!

SurferStitch
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Guess that engine swap wasn't such a bad thing after all!!!

GO JUNIOR!!!!! Bring home the Daytona 500 win!!! :thumbsup:

Marker
02-14-2008, 06:49 PM
GO JUNIOR!!!!! Bring home the Daytona 500 win!!! :thumbsup:

Frankly, I'd much rather see Dale Jarret or Mark Martin take the checkered flag.

Somehow Mark Martin winning in the #8 would be kinda sweet. But then I guess the folks who changed their tatoos from "8" to "88" would be kinda frustrated.

Credit to Dale Jr for winning these 2 races, but they were both short races, non-points races, and with short fields. Sunday could be different.

Credit too to John Andretti, he definitely had an uphill battle.

Awesome races today, I can't wait for Sunday. (actually I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's truck race, as well as Saturday's Nationwide race).

Although for us old guys, it's kinda sad that this year's Daytona 500 will have no Sterling Marlin, no Bill Elliott, no Kenny Schrader, no Woods Brothers car. But that's the nature of things, the young come in and take over from the new. Heck, I remember when Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt were the young kids, and folks like Bobby Allison, Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough and Richard Petty were on their way out.

Bethis26fan
02-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I so happy he won. I wish I could have watched it instead of listening to it on the radio. I'm so glad race season is back. :)

SurferStitch
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Credit to Dale Jr for winning these 2 races, but they were both short races, non-points races, and with short fields. Sunday could be different.

Yeah, yeah.....and if he didn't win anything, people would be complaining that a new owner and better cars didn't do him any good.

Non points race or not, he did awesome. Period.

Just seems no matter what he does, it's not good enough to some.

When you're riding out in front of the pack, it doesn't really matter how big the field is. :thedolls:

And Beth....that's why we have a DVR. With our new 50" plasma TV, and having the races on a high def channel (FoxHD), we were able to watch today's win in all its glory, just the way it was meant to be!

Marker
02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Yeah, yeah.....and if he didn't win anything, people would be complaining that a new owner and better cars didn't do him any good.

Complaining? Who's complaining? I was giving Dale Jr his props. But also pointing out the circumstances. Team agendas are different on non-points races, this on in particular. Not everyone goes all out, they want to make sure they save their equipment, and their starting spot. Big picture is, Sunday is the important race.

And there's a difference in 60 laps compared to 200. Dale has come out with something to prove, and he's done it. He's still capable of winning, and he's still very talented on restrictor plate tracks. That said, I also don't think that the Hendrick teams are going to dominate like they did last year. And I think some of his greatest competition was in the other race.

As I see it, 2 agendas were fulfilled in those 2 races. Dale Jr proving to his fans he can win, and Toyota proving they were for real as well with Denny winning the 2nd race. I was also really impressed with Reed Sorenson's race. Also, I was amazed with the Furniture Row teams BOTH making the race. A small team based in Colorado, perhaps the new car is actually going to help out the small teams some. With the way this new car handles, I'm not going to be at all surprised if some of the more veteran drivers do pretty well.

Non points race or not, he did awesome. Period.

Yes he did, He understands restrictor plate racing, and I think he understands drafting which seems to be a serious factor with the new car.

Just seems no matter what he does, it's not good enough to some.

I don't know exactly what that means. Sure he's a good driver. But there are a lot of other good drivers on that track as well. Let's remember, the race on Sunday is NOT the Daytona 500 STARING DALE JR, it's the Daytona 500 with 43 very talented drivers. No matter how "popular" he is, it's not just about Dale Jr, and Dale Jr proving himself, and everything that happens is all about how it effects Dale Jr.

Dale Jr maybe be the proclaimed "most popular driver in NASCAR", but that doesn't necessarily translate into the best driver in NASCAR. I have little doubt that a pretty good portion of his popularity comes from the fact that he's Dale Earnhardt's son. And I honestly feel, there is a pretty good percentage of his fan base that NEVER saw Dale Sr race, and some that have probalby never really seen Dale Jr race. They're fans because everyone else is, it's trendy to like Dale Jr.

He is a talented driver, regardless of who his father is. But he's not the best, he's one of many good drivers. And if I were going to base my driver loyalty on who the father was, I'd be all over Kyle Petty.

When you're riding out in front of the pack, it doesn't really matter how big the field is. :thedolls:

Sure it does. You don't have all of the competition on the track. And they've still yet to see how this new car will behave in a full 43 car draft.

And Beth....that's why we have a DVR. With our new 50" plasma TV, and having the races on a high def channel (FoxHD), we were able to watch today's win in all its glory, just the way it was meant to be!

Wait till you see a night race on that HD screen. It's amazing. And if you don't have a surround sound system for it yet, you should really think of adding one, it's awesome.

JanetMegan
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Well for about 30 minutes David Ruietemann was my new best friend, then John Andretti had to go get new tires and blow Boris Said's chances out of the water. I'm a HUGE Said fan and so bummed he didn't make it-sooo close!! I also love cheering for Stanton Barrett and was pretty bummed when he got slammed into the wall too.

Why does that first race always go soo quickly and the second one drags on for eternity?

Nascfan
02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
First off, congrats to Junior, and to Denny, for their wins yesterday.

Janet, I really wish someone would give Boris a full-time ride.

Marker
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Well for about 30 minutes David Ruietemann was my new best friend, then John Andretti had to go get new tires and blow Boris Said's chances out of the water. I'm a HUGE Said fan and so bummed he didn't make it-sooo close!! I also love cheering for Stanton Barrett and was pretty bummed when he got slammed into the wall too.

Why does that first race always go soo quickly and the second one drags on for eternity?

I thought the second race was the better of the 2, but then I'm kind of a Michael Waltrip Racing fan, as well as Tony Stewart. Those Toyotas were kicking some bootie.

Yeah, too bad about Boris Said. Hard to believe he doesn't have a more full time ride. Seems he's always competitive when he has a chance, and that's with an underfunded team and only driving part-time. Although, credit to John Andretti, he definitely had an uphill battle to get that spot.

SurferStitch
02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Wait till you see a night race on that HD screen. It's amazing. And if you don't have a surround sound system for it yet, you should really think of adding one, it's awesome.

I'll agree to disagree with you (on the Jr stuff...didn't want to quote all of it). Out front is out front, and 42 other cars are not drafting you...they're waiting to pass you. The only draft help you have is one or two cars behind you. The rest are sharks circling your bleeding body. Also, just about EVERYONE is going all out in the duals, especially those just trying to make the 500. Those guys drove their hearts out. The winner of the duals get to start 3rd and 4th in the 500, and that's important to MANY. Just tell Kenny Wallace he wasn't trying.....

If Dale Jr does well, it's still not good enough to those who aren't fans of his. He's done VERY well this week, and it's still not good enough to some, and they have plenty of excuses as to why it was "easier" for him to win (smaller fields, shorter races, most people weren't trying)....right? Not just singling out you...I've heard it from others, too.

And, go to a race and see how many people are Jr fans....you'll find plenty of older people. In fact, when you see a lot of young (teen/pre-teen) people, many are wearing Johnson, Kahne, Stewart and Gordon stuff. Jr isn't a trend, he's one of the best drivers out there now, and the best at restrictor plate racing (even Stewart said it). Those of us in our 20's and 30's (and even late teens) actually do remember seeing Sr. race many, many times before he died (it was only 7 years ago).

I hate to say it (I can't stand Hendrick, Gordon or JJ), but they WILL dominate this year. They have the most time invested in testing the COT, and dominated last year. This year means they just had that much more time, and an additional top driver to perfect their program.

And...we have the surround sound. Can't wait to crank it up!!! :thumbsup:

Marker
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
If Dale Jr does well, it's still not good enough to those who aren't fans of his.

Good enough for what? Good enough to turn them into fans? Nah, not gonna happen. Hey, I'll give Dale Jr all the props he deserves. He is no doubt likely the most skilled restrictor plate racer out there now. And he is probably one of the best, the key there being "one" of the best. I'm certainly not prepared to call him the best.

I may very well be wrong, but I still bet that he get a ton of fans simply because of who he is, rather than what he does. Sure, there are a lot of people who have "seen" Dale Sr. race, but did they actually watch. Sure, they know who he is, and they call themselves fans, but are they actually race fans, or just jumping in. No doubt he has some genuine fans, but I'd also say he no doubt has some tag along fans. Other drivers probably do too, but not to the extent that that Dale Jr. does. (driving for Budwieser didn't hurt either)

I'm not saying that none of the other drivers were trying. The "go or go home" guys were indeed racing their heart out, but realistically they were racing each other. Once DJ got in a solid position to move on, I really don't think he was pushing to take the front. And I don't think Tony would have been quite so agreeable to Denny if this had been a points race. Especially those with good qualifying times, they were already starting in the first few rows, short of winning, they had nothing to gain, and if they tore up their car, could end up moving to the back if they had to use a back up car. Absolutely, they are all competitors, but they are also smart and seeing the bigger picture.

Hendrick will definitely be strong this year, but I really don't think they'll be all alone out front like they were last year. I think the Toyota teams are going to give them a run for their money. And if we can use Reed Sorenson and Ryan Newman as any indication, those Dodges were pretty racey as well. And Jack Roush is not just going to sit on his hands and fade away. Actually, regardless of who you are a fan of, I think we're looking at a very interesting season.

I did like Dale Jr's comment yesterday when asked about his opinion of how the new car drives..... he basically said (I don't know the exact quote) that "it's hard to drive, but isn't it suppose to be hard". I like that, that's the comment of a racer, and not just a driver.

Bethis26fan
02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I did like Dale Jr's comment yesterday when asked about his opinion of how the new car drives..... he basically said (I don't know the exact quote) that "it's hard to drive, but isn't it suppose to be hard". I like that, that's the comment of a racer, and not just a driver.

Yea like mark martin saying it was like driving the cars they had in the early 80's before nascar restriced it. He seems to like the new car to, it makes them race it and not just drive. I can't wait to see how it all plays out this year.

Also on the jr fan or "fan" thing. I was a dale sr fan, (I grew up around racing an uncle drag raced and they all were earnhardt fans) but when JR came on I started pulling for him because he was young and closer to my age. I've pulled for him for a long time. I've been a fan in the good & the bad. I'm pretty loyal to the teams I pick lol I mean come on I'm a chicago cubs fan. lol

I'm also hoping the season will turn around for Jamie Mcmurray I've been a fan of his since he started busch.