PDA

View Full Version : Price gouging

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I Know Disney is a family park and all but why do they think it is exceptable to charge people $13.00 for a six pack of beer.I dont think its fair to have a 75% mark up on anything.Im not a big beer drinker but on vacation its nice to have a couple in the room.I refused to pay that much so I went to downtown disney and walked across the street to the hess and got a 12 pack for $9.99.Whats everyone else think?

PirateLover
02-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I Know Disney is a family park and all but why do they think it is exceptable to charge people $13.00 for a six pack of beer.I dont think its fair to have a 75% mark up on anything.Im not a big beer drinker but on vacation its nice to have a couple in the room.I refused to pay that much so I went to downtown disney and walked across the street to the hess and got a 12 pack for $9.99.Whats everyone else think?

I definitely feel you. They really charge a high price for alcohol of any kind. Everything is a little more expensive, but the six pack price definitely seems to be a bit exuberant.

tinkerbelle75
02-14-2008, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't consider it price gouging. I consider it to be fair, since you can go a few miles and get it cheaper. You're actually being charged for the convenience of not having to do that. Think of it as the four dollar water bottle in the mini bar at most hotels.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Ok but its not in a mini bar its in the hotel store so if your gonna mark up beer 75% why not mark up everything 75% for the convenience?

DizneyRox
02-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Ok but its not in a mini bar its in the hotel store so if your gonna mark up beer 75% why not mark up everything 75% for the convenience?
I do think there is a significant markup for just about everything. Alcohol is always more. You pay what? $4-6 for A mixed drink, while you can get the whole bottle of the alcohol usually for about $12-$20. I don't have an issue with it...

SBETigg
02-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Alcohol markup is always high. In a restaurant, I pay almost double, sometimes more, for what I would pay for the same bottle in a wine shop. Resorts and hotels can charge you more for the convenience of offering such things on premises. That's not just at Disney, that's at resorts everywhere. I'm happy to pay for the convenience (which is why they can keep on doing it). The other options would be to take the time to go elsewhere or to opt not to drink.

If you do the math, it's not a 75% markup from $9.99 to $13. It's about 40% and I find it steep but acceptable all things considered.

Ian
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I don't know that I agree that it's an extra charge for "convenience" ... I think it's just that Disney knows they have you over a barrel, they can charge that much and sell enough to make a big profit, so they do.

It's supply and demand. There's enough demand at that price to soak up Disney's supply. It's not gouging ... it's good business.

vamaggie
02-14-2008, 07:02 AM
It's the same as charging $$$$$$ for diapers, sunscreen, film etc. They offer it as a convenience (they don't have to have resort shops) for the guests who would rather buy there than go somewhere else. Alcohol is always hugely marked up, not only at Disney so I don't see it as an issue. Besides, if you bought 6 beers at a bar, it would be at least $12 w/o tip so $13 for in the room does not seem too awful.

SurferStitch
02-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Yep...as much as it rots, that's what hotels/resorts do. You want the convenience of being able to purchase whatever you want/need at your resort, so you will pay the price (well, at least I will :blush: ).

It's not gouging, it's just how things are done everywhere.

Go to any bar or lounge on property, and order 6 beers, and see what you'll spend. It'll make the $13 not seem so bad.

If you really don't want to spend the money, then ship some down and have it arrive at your hotel for your arrival.

Crow
02-14-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree that alcohol is high, but its like at a bar or out at dinner theres a markup.
i :marg::beer:at Epcot many times when there & the frozen margaritas are over $8 now....then again I was out at a Longhorn & they had a new margarita I tried but didnt know until I looked at the bill that it was $9.99!
Im planning on getting the DDE card to help some w alcohol at dinner & at the Pop Century lounge...
it is convenience.
so is the cost of the resorts, you pay more for staying onsite. & the cost of the shirts etc...thats why I havent been buying many souvenirs

BigRedDad
02-14-2008, 07:44 AM
$13.00 for a six pack of beer.

I remember going to Mardi Gras in college. They were charging $24 for a 6-pack of Dixie beer.

This is strictly done because of "captive audience" and can charge a "convenience" fee for it. Now, if there was a hurricane coming and people had to stay at the resort and they raised the price from $13 to $20, that is price gouging. You can always take a cab or call a grocery delivery to get it cheaper. You can also drink water which is free.

MsMin
02-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I see it as the same as the high prices at a convenience store. You are paying for the convenience. I bought a small bottle of Tide before going last Oct. and I paid 99 cents @ Target for a 4 load bottle. That exact same bottle was 4.59 @ Saratoga Springs. I was happy I had packed it.

tink2006
02-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I Know Disney is a family park and all but why do they think it is exceptable to charge people $13.00 for a six pack of beer.....I refused to pay that much so I went to downtown disney and walked across the street to the hess and got a 12 pack for $9.99.Whats everyone else think?

I agree that is why we bring it with us :) Like you, we like an occasional beer or cocktail when on vacation :beer::marg:

Deesdisney
02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I just got back and I know that the prices in the resort stores are expensive. I was there for 3 wks so I went over to the local store and got what I needed. It was less money. I am a Disney person but I could not see paying that much for the conv. I would rather spend all that money in the parks for meals or souviners.

Taja
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Alcohol markup is always high. In a restaurant, I pay almost double, sometimes more, for what I would pay for the same bottle in a wine shop. Resorts and hotels can charge you more for the convenience of offering such things on premises. That's not just at Disney, that's at resorts everywhere. I'm happy to pay for the convenience (which is why they can keep on doing it). The other options would be to take the time to go elsewhere or to opt not to drink.

If you do the math, it's not a 75% markup from $9.99 to $13. It's about 40% and I find it steep but acceptable all things considered.

The OP paid $9.99 for a 12-pack at Hess.

For me, it's right up there with $2 for a bottle of water that costs $0.89 in a store. That's an individual bottle, not bulk.

But...it's Disney, I know the price before I purchase it and budget accordingly. And purchase off-property when possible! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-14-2008, 11:27 AM
The OP paid $9.99 for a 12-pack at Hess.

Oh, right! My mistake. My apologies. Math was never my strong suit anyway, but apparently my ability to keep track of details is even worse. :) Thanks for catching that. $9.99 for a twelve-pack seems really cheap, same brand? That's a good plug for Hess.

I still think it's acceptable and what I would expect to pay at a resort.

TheRustyScupper
02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
People continue to buy and pay =
High Prices

People continue to buy more and pay more =
Higher Prices

People continue to buy even more and pay even more =
Even Higher Prices

People don't mind buying and paying =
Ever Increasing Prices

To quote that famous philosopher, Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Unless we stop buying, the prices will continue to raise unconscionably. I am not recommending anything, just stating economic facts.

PirateLover
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I wanted to pop back in and say that I don't really get the comparison everyone is making between the price for a six pack and going out to a bar or restaurant. When you go out, you know you will be paying more. You are paying not only for the booze but for the atmosphere, the staff, etc etc. When someone buys a six pack it is because they don't want to pay the price to go out to these places and just want to relax in front of the tv or on the porch with a beer.

Disney raises the prices accordingly... so it's $13 for a six pack but if you drink 6 beers in Epcot it's gonna cost you at least
$36.... so everything in perspective I guess....

sillyolbear
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
You did exactly what you should do if you think the price for a product is too high--go somewhere else to purchase it.

alaMode
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Last time we were at the Poly DH paid $18.00 for a 6-pack of imported beer (i think it was Guinness, but I'm not sure)

He wasn't happy about the price, but he was happy with the cerveza!

He spent so much time in that volcano pool with our son--he deserved a little overpriced luxury!

I'm budgeting $40.00 for him this time--we're going to the waterparks!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08

MOJoe
02-14-2008, 02:08 PM
This is just the way it is........everywhere.
For example, on my last beach trip, a 6 pak of beer at the gas station across the street was $6. The same 6 pak at the hotel convenience store was $9, and a single beer at the bar was $3. Are you paying for convenience? Yes. Will i refuse to have a drink at the bar because i can pay way less at a gas station? No! Well, maybe sometimes! :blush:

Jeff
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
That's why I own Disney Stock, they know what the market will bear ;) and charge accordingly.

princessgirls
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
OK, here is a little crafty solution that the DH and I figured out. We never rent a car while staying on property, and I agree $18 for a six-pack is a lot... so... here is what we figured out.

We took the bus over to downtown disney and walked across the street to the Hess Mart, which is literally right across the street. Purchased our beer and a few snack items. All were bagged, hopped the bus back to the resort. We are not huge drinkers, but do enjoy a few cold ones at night after the kids are asleep. DH was happy with his "bargain".
Julie:mickey:

#1donaldfan
02-14-2008, 09:54 PM
It's only overly expensive if you actually buy the product. If you bring your own from home / local grocer, then you've not overpaid. Disney charges what they want to and it's not actually price gouging if your not locked into a remote area and unable to purchase elsewhere...

Polynesian Dweller
02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Nope its not price gouging. If you don't want to pay the price there are alternatives. Disney charges what the market will bear. If people refused to buy 6 packs at that price they would lower it. So, go to the Hess and don't pay Disney's price.

RoosMomKanga
02-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Just look at my trip report posted yesterday for Beers around the World "Just Us: EC...". $7.50ea. is the going rate. Interestingly enough though, we left WDW and moved to my DH convention hotel (HI on Intl. Drive- a dump compared to Disney) and my DH had to get some beer for the work group coming in (he's still there). I have his receipt here and a 6-pack at the lobby convenience store at that dumpy hotel was $13.54 + tax. I just think it's the price of convenience. We used to always have our transport person stop at the grocery store for a few min. on the way in.

DizneyRox
02-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Now is probably a good time to point out the $15 bottle of aloe vera gel I "had" to buy on a cruise ship once. There are no alternatives at though point, but the $15 was well worth it! Price gouging? Ehhh... Maybe... Some will say poor planning on our part.

Dakota Rose
02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
We were a little surprised at the high prices on alcohol too. We like to have a little Bailey's some times, so DH bought some. It was like drinking liquid gold! I wonder if that isn't part of Mgmt's mindset. Keep the prices high so that people are more responsible about alcohol? I mean, you're less likely to down a 6-pack and get sloshed if it costs you more. :shrug:

That said, I also thought milk prices were pretty high. :spend:

Seasonscraps
02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I find that's the case in most hotels/resorts gift shops. I can tolerate the price of a six pack since it's still less then the price at the lounges. Don't get me started on the price of shampoo though...LOL

lockedoutlogic
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM

so you're basically saying things are overpriced at Disney World?

?

Um.....ok.....

irish1967
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
As far as the cost of alcohol at Disney, it all comes down setting the price to the point that will maximize profit...

Simple economics not price gouging.

It happens all over the place at WDW.

Consider the $2.50 :bar: The six-pack of dove bars at Publix doesn't cost $15 - yet how many thousands of those Mickey shaped ice cream bars do they sell every day?

Consider the shirt I bought for my DH when I was there in January - it didn't cost $18 to stitch the castle on the front of the polo shirt, yet I paid that much more for the shirt than if I had gone to our local store and bought him a shirt at home.

If it is worth the time and energy for someone to go offsite to make a purchase they will. If not, they pay the price Disney sets or do what we do...

We bring our own :beer: and :wine:

JerseyDad
02-19-2008, 04:03 PM
....the prices associated with beer & wine in the Disney resorts are comparable with other hotels that I've stayed at...and THAT'S WHY when we go to WDW and stay at POP (which is always) we:

Rent a fridge for the room for a week
I bring a 12-pack of my favorite seasonal specialty beer
I bring a bottle of my favorite Scotch
The wife brings her favorite vanilla vodka and favorite rum

...that's not saying that we still don't have drinks at the poolside bar...but...bringing our own helps keep the costs under control...EVEN with the added expense of the fridge rental.

snerd475
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Fortunately, when you live close enough to drive (3 1/2 hours for us), it's great to be able to bring your own. I bring a cooler with bottled water, snacks and breakfast fare (so we can get started right away to the parks) AND several bottles of wine (and my corkscrew, of course!) :wine:
Even so, when at Epcot, I have to have my $9 Fiesta Margarita! :marg:
This last time, I ordered a glass of Merlot at the Rose & Crown, not knowing it was going to set me back $9 - for like 4 oz.! Never again. :mad:

Like many have said, you are pretty much a captive audience, plus you get caught up in the whole Disney experience, and sometimes throw caution to the wind. As long as people pay it, they will charge it.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
OK, here is a little crafty solution that the DH and I figured out. We never rent a car while staying on property, and I agree $18 for a six-pack is a lot... so... here is what we figured out.

We took the bus over to downtown disney and walked across the street to the Hess Mart, which is literally right across the street. Purchased our beer and a few snack items. All were bagged, hopped the bus back to the resort. We are not huge drinkers, but do enjoy a few cold ones at night after the kids are asleep. DH was happy with his "bargain".
Julie:mickey:

Thanks for the idea!

We never get drinks because I refuse to pay that much for alcohol. The mark up prices are ridiculous at resorts. If I'm going to pay that much I want to be served.

It's not an option to bring it from home since you can't carry it on a plane. Next time we go that's what we'll do......go to Hess!

Rodders
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I like a few beers on holiday and am happy with paying $13 for a six pack. I know that I could save myself a a few bucks by making our way over to Downtown and over to the local shops but I don't see the point. When I'm on Disney property I consider my time to be really precious. I may be able to save a few bucks but making special journeys taking several hours just doesn't make any sense to me. I could rent a car and make my way over but the car would cost more than we save. I could rent a fridge and buy a large pack of beer but again, the fridge would cost more than I save.

It's basic supply and demand economics and, as a shareholder (of 1 share :cool:) I expect to pay premium prices.