PDA

View Full Version : Confused about staterooms

hmcfall711
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
We are looking to book our first cruise ever for Oct. '08. Based on our budget, we can do a land and sea package :blush: if we opt. for a Cat. 12 inside stateroom or just the 4 night package and take the Cat. 7 with the veranda.

I tend to get motion sick with long car rides but not often on park rides (I don't know if this will help a decision but I though I would add it.)

I really would love to go to the parks, but if the veranda will make the cruise that much more enjoyable I might be able to conceed to my DH wishes. :pixie: What do all the intercot experts thing?

buzznwoodysmom
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Today I was looking at prices for a June 2009 cruise. I was pricing the 4 night cruises. I am not sure how much more a veranda room would be, but for us a Cat. 12 inside room was only $200.00 less than a Cat. 10 deluxe oceanview. I think the family suite with the veranda was a bit pricier, but with our kids I don't want to have a veranda.

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that for people who are prone to motion sickness an outer room on a higher deck is worse than a room in the center of the ship on a lower deck.

I've only cruised once and never felt any kind of motion sickness. The only time I really noticed that we were moving was one night while showering with my eyes closed. I almost lost my balance and fell, but the feeling went away as soon as I opened my eyes.

My son also gets motion sickness in the car sometimes and I worry that he'll be sick for the entire cruise. This is the reason our first cruise with the kids is going to be a 4 night cruise combined with a stay at WDW. I'd hate to be stuck on a boat for a whole week with a sick kid.

Good luck and have fun!!!

adoptionislove
02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
My advice would be dont book the Land and Sea package till AFTER you price the WDW stay then the cruise separately. It just might be cheaper and there are alot of restictions with the Land and Sea package.

Try that then book the oceanview due to your motion sickness. I did this and am praying that I wont be seasick!

TammiMcMan
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
From everything I've read in regards to motion sickness, the majority of the information indicates a lower level stateroom, in the middle of the ship, is your best option. People find that looking towards the horizon also helps alleviate some of the symptoms, so an oceanview may be better than an inside stateroom.

You may want to look into the seabands, which many have reported finding success with and also Bonine, which is a non-drowsy alternative to Dramamine. It's best that you do start taking the medication before the ship starts moving for optimum effectiveness.

hmcfall711
02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
We will definately be booking the two seperately because we wanted to go to WDW after the cruise and DCL does not offer that as an option.

I'm not as worried about the motion sickness because of the possibility of using meds, if necessary. Although maybe I should be really concerned. (And I hear conflicting stories as to where on the ship is best avoid illness.)

But I was a little more curious about what would end up being the best trip. Originally we thought we would just do the cruise. My DH really liked the idea of the Navigator's veranda, but with some research we found that if we went with the standard inside we could have 3 nights at WDW for about the same rate.

I suppose that more specifically my question should have been which seems like the better choice:

1. Opting for a medium range cabin (with a little more comfort--maybe?) and sticking with the 4 night cruise.

or

2. Reserve a lesser cabin and have a few days at WDW.

(I'm sure that the general idea is that it depends on the traveler.)

DisneyDudet
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
There really isn't much difference in room size between a Cat 7 and 12 even. The only thing extra is the veranda, and you can't really sleep or put your luggage there really... well you could... but thats a different post! Cat 7's are on decks 6,7,8 I believe. and you can get deluxe/standard insides on almost any level.

Personally, just for me, I would rather do a deluxe oceanview than an inside. I have done both, and much rather prefer an oceanview. Now, if this will make it impossible for you to hit WDW (which it really sounds like you want to do), I would stick with the inside. You really are only missing a porthole, which is nice, but that is only a small part of the room. You may not be in your room very much on a 4 night cruise, so take that into consideration.

If you really want to go to WDW, then I would stick to a lower cat room, on a lower level for motion sickness. You can always spend time on decks 4, 9 and 10 to have a look at the ocean. You will be so busy with all the fun stuff on the ship, that you may not have time to enjoy a veranda, but it sounds like you really need to make the decision as to if WDW is THAT important to you. If it were me, I'd take the Cat 11, 12 and have WDW days than a veranda.

AbeeNormal
02-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Keep in mind with the veranda, once you have one it will be difficult to take a cruise again without one - it's harder to miss what you don't know. ;)

I know this first hand, our first DCL ever we had a veranda and we will never cruise without one again on any ship. :mickey:

Tonyajo
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I think if it were me, I would book the lesser room and have a few days at WDW! That way you pretty much get the best of both worlds! :mickey:

hmcfall711
02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I think we have decided to do both and go with the lesser room. I am sure that we will end up cruising again, and maybe next time we will go with the veranda.
My hope is that we are so busy that we would not have had a use for a veranda. But, my DH has a very different idea about vacationing than I do. I love to do, see, and be a part of everything that is going on. :cloud9: He would much rather say that he has slept in every country in the world. :sleepin:

Disney has really been the only vaction location where we can meet in the middle and be both active and relax.

Thanks again for your help.