PDA

View Full Version : Teachers, a question for you.

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 11:26 AM
From reading the posts over time I believe there are several teachers who frequent here. I'm seeking you professional opinions.

A quick background... My kids attend a small Lutheran school with an attendance of around 150 K-8 and I sit on the school board. Being a small school we work on a tight budget while trying to deliver the best learning environment for our students.

Yesterday at our monthly board meeting we were presented with an educational computer software system called EDUSS. The reason for my post is I'm curious if any of you have had an experience with this system or if you have heard anything in regards to this in your professional circles.

When I sat down for the presentation I was apprehensive of spending a good portion of or budget on a computer system. After watching the presentation though my mind quickly changed and I'm fairly excited. I'm just curious if the system works as well as touted and if it really can assist the teachers the way it's advertised.

So, does anyone have experience with this system yet?

ibrowse17
02-13-2008, 11:58 AM
I have been a teacher and administrator for 18 years now, and this is a program not used in our system. In fact, I can tell you that I have never even heard of it. I would go with your gut on this, and put the money to use elsewhere. The thing about technology in education is that it opens an always growing hole in spending. You have to buy the software, sometimes a liscence fee to use it on more than one computer, up grades to the program, fees for this that and the other and then pay a tech guy to fix all the problems that will pop up. These programs can be a great tool in education, but you really have to look at what you are wanting from them, and how much you are willing to spend.

tinkerbell04
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
i have been a teacher for 10 years and we don't use this program in our school system. In fact, I have never even heard of it. What kind of program is it, what is its purpose?

JPL
02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I was a Technology Coordinator for 2 different schools and I'm cureently teaching technology in a different school. The thing I would be weary of are hidden costs with all school software systems. The companies often assume the money is coming from a grant and often paint a real pretty picture and then you realize if you want an add on it's an extra $10,000 and the also up you maintenance costs by $200 a year. It can become a real financial burden. I tend to look for software I can purchase and either install on the network or do a complete program install on the individual computers. Sorting through the multiple options available can be a real hassle and then you can find something you think is perfect and the kids hate it or the teachers refuse to use it. I woukld suggest seeing they offer a free 30 day trial and get your teachers on board and then make the decision.

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
To further expand. The program costs $20,000 but with a grant we are eligible for the final cost is $5500 plus an annually fee of $370.

For this we will be sent a server that will be connected to our network in all of the classrooms. This is not run through the internet and there is no further software need. With the $370 we receive a lifetime warranty on the server and updates to the program annually. Next day on-site service is guaranteed. The program is very popular in Australia and Europe.

The key is highlights of the system:

* Each student is given a loggin name and password and there work is saved where they leave off. Teachers have access to their work.
* Testing starts at the current grade level, if the student passes a certain element they move up. If they fail the systems goes back until it finds their true aptitude. There are no multiple choice or true/false questions.
* Once a level is found worksheets can be generated which to the specific learning level.
* Workbooks are in the system and can be printed .
* By owning the system all material can be reproduced endlessly.
* Aptitude tests are run using the key core elements. After the testing is done a 17 page report relating to the strengths and weaknesses for each student can be run and shared with parents.
* Parents will be able to access the system from home.
* The system can be modified to meet our teaching levels.

The system is relatively new to the US. Our principal was not interested when first approached but after several meetings he is 100% sold. The staff sat through the same presentation we did and they are 100% in favor.

ibrowse17
02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, if a computer would do all of my teaching for me I would be behind it 100 % as well. We do have a similar program here that allows students and parents to log on and see their grades, attendance and discipline. This has had only a slight amount of success as many parents simply do not take the time to register or check on their students, and the actual students already know this from actually being in class. I would also be weary of being one of the first to use a program new to the counrty, as it limits the amount of folks that might understand the system and how to fix it's bugs. This sounds like something geared for homebound students to me.

JPL
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
That $370 per year fee is what would scare me away. Since they maintain and control it what happens if after 2 years they decide to up the fee to a ridiculous amount. What if the system if found ot be ineffective are you locked into any type of contract for a period of time? I know that with the grant mopney is is only $5500 but is there a better use of that grant? Are you locked into any training agreement with them? I have seen several program where they had a mandatory training program built in for teachers. I understand that the board and teachers seem to be 100% behind it but I would raise these questions sooner rather than later. I have sat through countless presentations and these sales people can make their products sound like the greatest thing in the educational realm. It is also easy to wow people with technology and talk of making a teacher's life easier.

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 03:30 PM
That $370 per year fee is what would scare me away. Since they maintain and control it what happens if after 2 years they decide to up the fee to a ridiculous amount. What if the system if found ot be ineffective are you locked into any type of contract for a period of time? I know that with the grant mopney is is only $5500 but is there a better use of that grant? Are you locked into any training agreement with them? I have seen several program where they had a mandatory training program built in for teachers. I understand that the board and teachers seem to be 100% behind it but I would raise these questions sooner rather than later. I have sat through countless presentations and these sales people can make their products sound like the greatest thing in the educational realm. It is also easy to wow people with technology and talk of making a teacher's life easier.

Thanks for the feed back, I really appreciate it. I liked the system but when things seem to good to be true they usually are which is my concern. Your points are well taken and giving me a list of questions to ask if we have a next meeting in regards to the system.

If we purchase the systemwe would own it and have unlimited reproduction rights to anything on the system. We then have the option to pay the $370 annually, the $370 is an upgrade fee and warranty should the server break we get a replacement.

The system covers Mathematics, English and Phonics.

My description that the system does it no justice and am hoping someone has experience with it.

crazypoohbear
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Can you ask for other school systems that they have sold this product to? You could then do "reference checks" to see how things are working out for them.
You could also google the system and see if there is anything posted anywhere about them either positive or negative.
Good Luck with your decision making