PDA

View Full Version : Is December a good time?

speedmouse93
02-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey, I might be going to Disney about early December and I was wondering if it's a good time to go? How warm is it? And are there long waits for rides? Please reply.

kakn7294
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
We went in early Dec 2006. The crowds were larger than I anticipated but still rather manageable for the most part with waits of anywhere from walk-on in some cases to an hour for the big attractions. It is less crowded than summer but more crowded than Sept - Oct or Jan - Feb. The weather can be tricky - be prepared for anything from 40 to 80! The decorations and festive atmosphere can't be beat.

jwildflower1981
02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I've been spoiled by December(last trip was 12-6-07-12-15-07), it's the only time we want to go. The decorations are beautiful. The weather was perfect- short sleeve and jeans or shorts during the day and evening was a light long sleeved shirt. We wern't hot or cold, we were just right:thumbsup:. The crowds were pretty light. We walked onto most, and got fast passes for the big attractions. It was a wonderful trip.
Have a good time:mickey:

Strmchsr
02-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Early December has been increasing in popularity quite a bit. It used to be empty. Now, not so much. It's not horribly crowded, but definitely expect waits. As for weather- as Kathy said - there's no telling. You'll just have to check closer to time. Go to the historical weather link in Info Central to see exact conditions for the last 4 years on the dates you're considering and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

AllDisney
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
We have also been the first week in December. The temps ranged from the 80's to the low 60's during the day. Just make sure you back for all types of weather because you never know.

The popular rides , Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster & Expedition had some longish lines (30-45 min), but we used the fast pass and avoided any long lines.

We'll be going back again this time of year again as the decorations are fantastic and the crowds aren't bad.

Have a great time at WDW:mickey:

DisneyorBust
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I have to agree with the last two replys, they both right on the money.
As far as the crowds are concerned, the attendance is up. You will need to pack for colder temps (just in case) for some evenings.

scootch713
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I have to agree with the last two replys, they both right on the money.
As far as the crowds are concerned, the attendance is up. You will need to pack for colder temps (just in case) for some evenings.

ditto.... we had one night where it was down to 39 degrees... brrrr.... then other days that were 85!! Nice christmas decorations and feeling. :)

NewmanFamily6
02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
We went Dec 17-23 2006. It was way more crowded than I expected but we still had fun. AK seemed to be the most crowded to me :crowd: Definitely do MVMCP we had a great time!

ktflisa
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Dh and I have been 3 times in December - LOVED IT! The first time though was Dec 2001 - and the place was EMPTY. Of course the place was empty for quite a few months after 9/11. We normally go the first week. The last time was Dec 2006 - it was crowded but still not too bad. Just avoid MK on the weekend if you can. The lights at the Studios are a must see :thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
We just picked 12/11 - 12/19 as our "postponed" trip dates (see my signature). The last time we were there was during F&W and Columbus Day 2005 during Free Dining. Would you say the crowds are lighter or heavier than that in December?

disneylovinmom
02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
We were there 12-15 to 12-22 2007 and had a great time. From 12-15 thru 12-20 we really didn't have to wait in many lines and the weather ranged from the low 50's to 85. Pack for a little of everything. It did start to get REALLY crowded on 12-21, though. I think the earlier in the month you can go, the better!:thumbsup:

RAIDER
02-13-2008, 04:05 AM
The first two weeks in the month are very quiet and a dream as you can get to go an everything easily and in many cases just get off the ride and walk straight back on without a care .
The weather is normaly in the mid 70s and sometimes 80s so its just right ...On top of that you have the brilliant xmas atmospherewhich is such a bonus .

After that the parks become manic and as not enjoyable :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
02-13-2008, 07:05 AM
We've gone in early December for the past couple years now (12/6 - 12/18). Weather was wonderful both times. In fact, this last time it was much warmer than we thought it would be, but I'm an over-packer, so we were fine, but we would have liked it a little cooler. We had temps in the mid 80's, and even some high humidity on a couple days.

Crowds were not small by any means. Some of the big rides had 90+ minute waits. We actually left the parks a couple times to get away and relax at the resort to escape the crowds. Not summer crowds, but still pretty packed sometimes. Evening EMH's were very busy. Even though it was almost vacation time for school kids, there was still a large number of them there. We did walk on a few rides, but they were few and far between.

We would go back again at this time of year, despite the growing crowds. The parks and resorts are beautiful during the Christmas season.

mouselover93
02-13-2008, 07:45 AM
we went back in december of '07 and it was ok and decorations were beautiful ( oh and bobby we're do mvmcp )

Dakota Rose
02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Crowds were not small by any means. Some of the big rides had 90+ minute waits. We actually left the parks a couple times to get away and relax at the resort to escape the crowds. Not summer crowds, but still pretty packed sometimes. Evening EMH's were very busy. Even though it was almost vacation time for school kids, there was still a large number of them there. We did walk on a few rides, but they were few and far between.

90+ waits? Really? That was SO not the info I wanted to hear. :(

Maybe I should wait until Jan 09. :cry:

SurferStitch
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Don't wait for January. You just have to utilize FP as much as possible, and try to stay away from things like the Osborne Lights and MVMCP on weekend nights.

Soarin, EE, TT, and Space Mtn. did have 90 minute waits on several occasions, but not every time we were at that park. Sometimes they were around an hour. Sometime ToT, RnRc, Peter Pan, and a few others had a lot of hour waits throughout the 12 days we were there. Others were anywhere from 10-25 minutes. There were a couple walk-ons. We used FP quite a bit.

Osborne lights were pretty full, and that was during the week. We specifically stayed away on Friday or Saturday night to avoid some crowds.

sillyolbear
02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Early December is very manageable crowd wise. Just remember that as the crowds go, one person's packed is another's not so bad. Some rides will have 60-90 minute waits even on relatively low crowd days. We've always found the key to be willing to use Fast Pass and also going to another park if one seems pretty crowded.

Avoiding weekends in early December can also help as the decorations can draw day visitors.

chicagochris
02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
My wife and I visited Dec 14-18, 2006, and it was the best trip we've ever had.

Weather was beautiful, and crowds were very low. We used FP for anything with a long wait (Soarin', etc.) and everything else was practically a walk on. We didn't really even notice any changes in crowd levels on the weekend. Add in the beautiful decorations, and it can't be beat.

We noticed that crowds picked up significantly on the 18th, though, and that the lobby of our hotel was mobbed with new arrivals coming in for the week leading up to Christmas day as we were hopping on our ME bus to the airport.

Dakota Rose
02-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm anxious about the crowd thing. When I took DH (his first trip) in Oct 05, we expected it to be low crowds. You know, nothing more than a 20-30 minute wait kind of thing. Well, we encountered much heavier crowds. And I didn't even get to see Spectromagic because the crowds were so thick. If I mentally prepare for heavier crowds, that may help.

Let me ask this clarifying question. If I get FPs for say Mission Space right away, first thing, will my time come before lunch? Generally speaking of course. I know, I know I'm asking a subjective question, but I'm an over-planner, kinda crazy. :crazy:

Duchess99
02-15-2008, 09:52 PM
The last time I went in early December was in 2000, but I thought it was a great time to visit. The weather was nice, the crowds were low and all the holiday decorations were up.
Very enjoyable!

BW Fan
02-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't mean to be cynical, but anytime the weather is great (i.e., not scorching hot) and you have beautiful seasonal decorations, the crowds will be big. So what! It is beautiful in Orlando in December, and Disney does Christmas decorations better than anyone else on the planet. Go, have fun, see the sights, don't stress, enjoy yourself. Spend some time visiting the various resorts and checking out their decorations, and spend time in each of the parks checking out their special theming, parades, etc. Just use fast pass for those can't miss rides. Have fun.

SurferStitch
02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
My wife and I visited Dec 14-18, 2006, and it was the best trip we've ever had.

Weather was beautiful, and crowds were very low. We used FP for anything with a long wait (Soarin', etc.) and everything else was practically a walk on. We didn't really even notice any changes in crowd levels on the weekend. Add in the beautiful decorations, and it can't be beat.

We noticed that crowds picked up significantly on the 18th, though, and that the lobby of our hotel was mobbed with new arrivals coming in for the week leading up to Christmas day as we were hopping on our ME bus to the airport.

We were there the same time that year (12/7 - 12/18), and barely walked on more than a handful of rides. Crowds were so heavy from 12/15-12/18 that we left the parks during the afternoon for a break. We saw 120 minute waits for Soarin' and TT, 60-90+ for ToT, RnRC, Peter Pan, etc. The weekend (12/16-12/17), especially at DHS, was insane. Osborne lights were literally shoulder to shoulder.

This year didn't seem quite as crowded, but still very, very busy....especially weekends.

Still a beautiful time to go, and we would do it again betting on big crowds.

chicagochris
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Weird. Maybe we were in different places at different times, or just have different approaches to how we plan our days.

Audraj
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
My family and I made our first ever WDW trip Dec 1-Dec 10 07. While the park seemed crowded the lines for rides were really not that bad. The most we waited for any ride was 35-40 minutes.

The place is sooo beautiful this time of year and regardless of what the crowds are like we will be doing it again this year. The Osbourn Spectical of Lights is simply breathtaking and I would stand shoulder to shoulder with people to see it again ( I do not like crowds so this is really saying something)

So just go and enjoy. You will have so much fun you won't even notice the crowds!!!

PirateLover
02-19-2008, 01:07 AM

Don't panic. I was there this year from Dec 2nd- Dec 7th. I was also there in 2005 from Dec 16-22nd. Both times we walked on almost EVERYTHING. During the '05 visit, the sidewalks and stores were crowded but the wait times were no more than 20 mins. Now as far as some of the biggies go, I have been to WDW 4x since Soarin opened, 2x in May and 2x in Dec. I honestly have never seen that wait under 60mins, so that is one we always FP in the morning anyway. Test Track is similar.

We did see Space Mountain with a 60min wait during MVMCP, but we never saw the line out the door. In fact, I think some of the wait times are just flat out wrong. One time on this trip Space was listed as having a 30 min wait, and we figured we'd do it as a last ride as the park was going to close in about half an hour. Well, we ended up riding Space 4 times and Buzz twice. There was no wait at all.
We rode Splash 4x in a row one night without having to get out of the boat.
The Speedway always had a long line but when doesn't it?

Now, everything wasn't 100% peachy. Bus stops were packed, the resort seemed packed, and as I mentioned before, sidewalks were crowded, but all in all I don't remember waiting more than 15-20 mins for anything either time.
Edit for more examples- We did see RnR and ToT with wait times of 30-40 mins sometimes but never actually waited that long. RnR had a 45 min posted time and we were in our limo in under 20. ToT had 30 min wait and we walked right into the library. I really don't know what's up with that. :shrug:

chicagochris
02-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't panic. I I really don't know what's up with that. :shrug:

This is something that I have noticesd on pretty much every Disney vacation I have been on in the last six years or so.

mudpuppysmom
02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree with the Don't Panic mantra......you'll be at DISNEY!!! Granted you might have to wait sometimes, but other times you might not have to wait!

I'd say utilize FP as much as possible and you'll be fine.

I took DS myself in Dec 06 and I must have just enjoyed being with him myself and no one else around because I don't remember the crowds being THAT bad. We were there Dec 3-9, 2006.

I do remember going to MVMCP one night and the lines for cookies and apple juice/cocoa were a bit long at some places, and nonexistent at others, but it was COOL!!! We had on jeans, sweatshirts and jackets and it was windy!! Our arrival day was really the only day we had on jeans during the day -- shorts were every day up until we landed back in Pittsburgh......and boy was that a shocker!!

This December I got a pin code and am taking advantage of it and some of my friends think I'm nuts for taking a then 6 month old plus a five year old, but the only thing I'm worried about is how the baby is going to react to everything......but if he's anything like his big brother, he'll adapt just fine.

Really, just try to enjoy planning and have a good time -- you will have a good time!!

chicagochris
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
This December I got a pin code and am taking advantage of it and some of my friends think I'm nuts for taking a then 6 month old

Same here. We are taking our son for his first visit in December. He will be 14 months. Can not wait.

Dakota Rose
02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm glad to hear some other reports. Stress is in my DNA, so I tend to panic. And large crowds sometimes give me panic attacks.

But it's good to have a realistic expectation, so that's really why I'm asking. :)

This trip will be me, DH, DS4 and baby 5 mos. I don't want to split the family up a lot over long wait times, but we're pretty well set on going. Now if I'd just get a pin code!

diz_girl
02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm going the first week of December this year and I hope that the crowds are relatively light. I've been spoiled my previous two trips (Sep and late Jan/early Feb), so I'll see what happens. I've never been there during a holiday (except Labor Day, which was great), but we always visited in June when I was younger, so I know how bad crowds can get.