PDA

View Full Version : ABC Reups Nine for '09

Carol
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
ABC Reups Nine for '09
By Gina Serpe

With the writers' strike effectively over, ABC is getting back into the show-making business.

The Alphabet net announced Monday that nine fan—and advertiser—favorites would be returning to the small screen next fall, with full-season renewals for Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Private Practice, Pushing Daisies, Samantha Who? and Dirty Sexy Money.

"The strength of our schedule this fall was unprecedented," ABC Entertainment President Stephen MacPherson said in making the pickup announcement. "We're looking forward to building on that success."

When exactly they plan to start building is a little less clear.

While the network was quick to tout its fall lineup, it has yet to confirm its spring one. Reps have refused to comment on which shows will go back into production to salvage what's remaining of the 2007-2008 TV season and which will simply remain on hiatus until production resumes for the forthcoming season.

E! News has learned that writers and actors for Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Brothers & Sisters, Ugly Betty and Samantha Who? will be among the first back to work, trying to crank out as many new episodes as possible to carry the network through to May sweeps.

Meanwhile, Pushing Daisies, Private Practice and Dirty Sexy Money, the network's Wednesday-night triumvirate, will, per Mediaweek, stay dark, leaving only repeats until the new season.

But the news is not all good from ABC headquarters. The network appears ready to put viewers and critics alike out of their collective misery and deep-six two freshman sitcoms. Mediaweek reports the Geico commercial-inspired Cavemen and the Jerrys O'Connell- and Minor-led Carpoolers are goners; however, ABC has declined to confirm the cancellations.

Then there are the shows in limbo. ABC has yet to render a verdict on Boston Legal, Men in Trees, October Road and Women's Murder Club.

The fate of the midseason entries Cashmere Mafia and Eli Stone is also undecided. ABC is no doubt waiting to see how the ratings pan out for the remainder of their respective runs before making a decision.

Carol
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Boston Legal, Men in Trees

:(

Melanie
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Then there are the shows in limbo. ABC has yet to render a verdict on Boston Legal, Men in Trees, October Road and Women's Murder Club.

:fingers: for Men in Trees and October Road. I've never heard of Women's Murder Club. :unsure:

Hammer
02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
:fingers: for Men in Trees and October Road. I've never heard of Women's Murder Club. :unsure:

Women's Murder Club is based off of the series of books by James Patterson, though changes have been made from the books. The principal character is played by Angie Harmon. Personally, I liked it and hope it comes back.

i'm grumpy
02-15-2008, 11:08 PM
And Rob Estes. :D

ChipnDaleGal
02-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I love Men in Trees, October Road and The Women's Murder Club. I will miss any one of them if they aren't renewed.

Carol
02-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I love Men in Trees, October Road and The Women's Murder Club. I will miss any one of them if they aren't renewed.
It would be nice to get Jack out of the ocean. He's been floating in that raft for a long time. :unsure:

ChipnDaleGal
02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
It would be nice to get Jack out of the ocean. He's been floating in that raft for a long time. :unsure:

He is probably getting a little pruney, don't ya think??:boat:

Carol
02-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I was looking at my TiVo "to do list" last night. Men in Trees is set to record!!! :joy::joy:

The new season starts in 2 weeks.

ChipnDaleGal
02-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I was looking at my TiVo "to do list" last night. Men in Trees is set to record!!! :joy::joy:

The new season starts in 2 weeks.

That is great news! I am going to go check out my guide! Thanks for the heads up, Carol.

MNNHFLTX
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear the new season of Men in Trees is on the horizon!! :clappy:

I am so glad that they are going to try and get some new episodes out before the end of May sweeps on shows like Lost and Brothers and Sisters. But I am a little sad to have to wait until September to see new shows of Pushing Daisies and Private Practice.

ChipnDaleGal
03-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I watched the season finale of October Road last night. I just love this show and the characters. They left so many plots up in the air that it will be very unsatisfying if it isn't renewed for a third season. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about network TV shows. I think the network should decide it they are renewing or not in time to end the storylines properly if they are going to cancel. It really isn't be very responsible to their customers (we viewers) and it doesn't build trust. I think twice about starting new shows now since so many have such abrupt endings with no closure.