PDA

View Full Version : Finding a hotel for the first night of our trip???

ldc12377
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
This is going to be a long post so get ready! I'm in the planning stage of our next possible trip to WDW. Normally, we drive to the bottom of Georgia (around Valdosta) on the first day and finish the drive the next day. We usually get to the resort by 12:00 and are at the parks by 1 or 2. On our return trip last time, we had to drive the whole trip in one day which turned out to be not as bad as we thought it would be. This time I'm wanting to drive the whole trip down in one day. Here is my plan: I'd like to drive to Lake City or Ocala on our first day. The way we go into WDW is by using the 429 which goes right by Coronado Springs Resort. That route is never busy and is really easy but there aren't any hotels on it. Here is my question(sorry it took so long to get here): For those of you who drive this route is Ocala the closest we are going to get a hotel? We want to get as close as possible and then just wake up early to check-in at WDW and hit the parks. Ocala is about a hour away from WDW, I think, so that wouldn't be too bad but I was just curious if there is anything closer without having to drive a different route. Thanks for reading all this (I tend to be a little long winded...LOL) and thanks for any info.

gardenia
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
There's a Best Western and a Marriott in Ocoee, which is right at the junction of the Florida Turnpike and 429. You take the "267B" exit instead of the "267A" exit. You can Google "Ocoee, FL" and search the map for hotels, to get the exact location. Anyway, it's only about 15 miles from the entrance to WDW. We have stayed there when we wanted to get to WDW early in the morning.

wdwfansince75
02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Although Mapquest and my new GPS tell me to go via I-95 and I-4, we have found that going via 85 and 75, and the FL turnpike is faster. And with the new western entrance, it is even better. On several of our more recent trips, we have stopped at Ocala for a restful evening, and a late morning check in at WDW. Allows us to grab the courtesy breakfast at the Ocala Hampton in, and to arrive at WDW in reasonably fresh conditions, to hit the parks by noon.

Ocala has many hotels, including Hampton Inn, just off of 75. Also has many choices for a late meal the night before. (Including a Cracker Barrel just off the same exit as the Hampton Inn). With new western exit, it is no more than an hour from the World.

Made the mistake once of passing Ocala, and stopping in Claremont.....Never again!. Haven't tried the Ocoee hotels....Will go all the way this year....for us, it is about a 9 hour drive, and cost at SoG is about the same as at Hampton Inn. Plan to arrive late afternoon, and have ADR at Kona Cafe that night. Turns out, first night is my 67th birthday!

ldc12377
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Thank you both for the informaiton. It will be so helpful on our next trip.

Turns out, first night is my 67th birthday!

:party::party::party:Happy early Birthday!!:party::party::party:
I hope you have a wonderful trip!!