PDA

View Full Version : Non-DVC owner staying at a DVC

AvonleaCF
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I didn't know if I should post this in the accommodations thread or the DVC thread, so moderators, please move it if need be.

My parents are Marriott time-share owners and they are going to make a trade for a DVC property for me to use (they're not going). I know you need to purchase a guest past to do this, but once I have the unit for a week, am I still entitled to Magical Express and the Dining Plan? I know if I just booked a room at a DVC property like a normal hotel I'd be able to get them, but we're getting the unit as a trade

I know nothing about DVC, so any advice is appreciated. And I don't know which property I'll get; whatever happens to be available for the dates I want.

Thanks!

Catzle
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
My sister in law traded her time share last year so we could stay on property. We had to pay Interval International $137 to try and trade in than when we did it was another $99, if I remember that correctly to be able to use all of Disney's "stuff" We were than able to use Magical Express and EMH and the dining plan if we wanted, we didn't use it though. So yes,once you get transferred in and pay the fee for Disney services you are treated no differently than if you are DVC owner.
We got in WL and loved it there! What a great place. We are still on the waiting list for this year and have been since Nov. We had a studio last year and thought it was a tad too small, one bed was a pull out and it was very uncomfortable. We are a family of 4 and we put a request in for a 1 bedroom this year and I guess that's why we are having a hard time getting in. We are trading in a 2 bedroom 4 star resort so didn't think it would be this hard since last year we got a call the next day. One thing we didn't like was the towel and cleaning situation. I like clean towels everyday and a clean room and they don't come every day. They did bring us towels when we called but they piled up high until they came to clean which was only once in a week. Other than that we loved it and would do it again just wished we could of gotten a one bedroom this year.
We are going to go with the Poly now and if a room were to open my sister in law is going to come with us.

AvonleaCF
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Catzle! One more question: how do you get the dining plan and Magical Express? I'll probably get my park tickets through AAA, but how do you get the extras? Wendy at Magical Journeys, who I normally use to book my Disney trips, said I have to go through the DVC directly, but I have no idea what the contact is.

This is entirely new to me!

Catzle
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Who are you trading through? Once you get your trade in you will get sent papers with all your contact information that will have the contact # on it for you to get all your Disney stuff taken care of, including any requests you may have. They were very nice.
Also you do have to pay a small extra fee to have it transferred in your name, it was only like $35 I think.

AvonleaCF
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
I think he's trading through Interval.

Any insight into which one I should stay at? My top three choices are Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Wilderness Lodge, but currently only Old Key West is showing availability. I saw Saratoga Springs during my last trip, as I took the Downtown Disney boat from Port Orleans many times, and it floats right by there.

robemcdo
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I've used DVC as a guest three times. My friend had to book it, and do any of the other things such as book DME and DDP for me. However, once I was there, I was treated as a DVC member.

Catzle
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
What time of the year are you going? We didn't have a choice we took what was open and we were put on a wait list first there wasn't anything open to start. We have been waiting since Nov. of 07 for something for May of 08 and nothing has come up. Now I would do WL again just because of its location we thought the transportation was great and we really liked the lodge.

Catzle
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Did you ask for a studio or 1 bedroom?

AvonleaCF
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I got a one-bedroom at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Catzle
02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Wow! What month are you going? Congrats!

AvonleaCF
02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll be there Labor Day Week. My dad put in my top three choices of Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Wilderness Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge happened to come through. Yay! I stayed at the WL when I was 12.

And for those wondering, when you trade into a DVC, you just call up the number on the confirmation that Interval International sends you. I added the dining plan and will add Magical Express once I book my flights. I'm going to get my park tickets through AAA cause they're cheaper there.

I also have to pay a $95 fee when I check in. There were also some Interval fees, but my dad took care of those for me. But hey, a one-time $95 fee compared to rack rate of $425/night for 7 nights is a pretty sweet deal! :mickey:

Now I just have to figure out where I want to make ADRs!

disneylovinmom
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
We stayed at OKW that was traded from Westgate through Interval International and it was fabulous. We had a 1 bedroom villa for 3 people and it was really great. I don't think that there is a bad DVC resort there, so whatever you can get will be great. I hope you have a magical time!!:mickey: