PDA

View Full Version : Should I order a B-day Cake?

mom2four
02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I have two children having bdays.

LTT for my DD 7th dinner

Coral Reef for sons 9th (currently a lunch, may change to dinner).

We are on the basic DDP.

Should I order them a cake or just do the free desert?

Thanks in advance.

Kairi_7378
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Since you're on the DDP, you are already getting a dessert with your meal credit. Additionally, most restaurants give a free cupcake or dessert for special occasions. Therefore, I wouldn't order a cake in your situation.

#1donaldfan
02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
We did a cake and it was great, but we wasted about half of it.....we left it on the table upon leaving as we were heading back into the parks to continue playing.....I suppose they may have delievered it to our room, but I honestly don't think we would have eaten any more of it.....we got ours at the GF princess dinner....

baby minnie's mommy
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't know what the free desserts would be, but if you go with that maybe you could ask to have a candle lit in them to make it a little special.

The free b-day cupcakes are great! Our DD's had gummy bears and Mickey-shaped candy confetti sprinkled all over the cupcake and plate, and "Happy Birthday" written on the plate. :party: We didn't ask for it, just told the server it was her b-day and he surprised her at the end of the meal.

MonoMan
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
We have done both - three times we ordered a cake, and three times we used the cupcakes. We've always had a good experience with the cake; however, this past time (at Chef Mickey's) the server brought out the cake right as we returned to the table with our dinner from the buffet. Long story made short -One person wasn't even back yet - the candles were already lit on the cake and it was impossible to get our three year old to eat his dinner with his birthday cake there. I was extremely disappointed that the server didn't ask us if we were ready for the cake. I will never order the cake again.

elmjimmlm
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
One year we ordered a cake and it was great...when I ordered they gave me a choice of sizes...They do offer a small cake that you can get that has characters on it...I just called the dining # and they gave me the number to call to order...I couldnt hurt to ask...

Mickey91
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
When we stayed at the Poly in 2003, my DD was surprised when we came back to the room with a cake, party hats, confetti, ballons, a signed picture of Cinderella and table cloth, forks, plates, the works all compliments of the resort! So you may not need a cake.

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
. . .this past time (at Chef Mickey's) the server brought out the cake right as we returned to the table with our dinner from the buffet. . . .

That's awful! What a way to ruin a birthday celebration.

When we stayed at the Poly in 2003, my DD was surprised when we came back to the room with a cake, party hats, confetti, ballons, a signed picture of Cinderella and table cloth, forks, plates, the works all compliments of the resort! So you may not need a cake.

We are planning to celebrate two of our DDs birthday's in the World this year and are planning on staying at the GF. I would love to do this how did you get it done?

GINNY69
02-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I am going to Disney in June and I was going to celebrate my Son's birthday as well. I liked the idea of the balloons,cake,confetti, etc in the room.. I was going to do a cake when we had dinner at Chef Mickey's. I have the 800 # so maybe I will call and do a cake , but then after reading these post above, Maybe I will just do the cupcake I don't want to waste alot of food. I also know that I had to call reservations to ask a question and they did make a note in the computer system that it was my son's birthday and so who nows maybe there will be a surprise for him in the room when we check in.. I also wanted to get a gift for my son and have in the room all wrapped up for him when we arrived in the room on our first day !! :party: :party:

ok I am done babbling..

Have a magical day !!!!

:pixie: :pixie:

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Who do you call to have special things waiting for you in the room? The front desk? Reservations? A special planning depatrment? I'd love to have a present, balloons, the works waiting for our DDs on their individual birthdays. :party:

baby minnie's mommy
02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Having complimentary surprises waiting in the room is not a regular thing. It's just that - a surprise.

When we took DD to AK Lodge for her b-day in 2005, there were no birthday surprises waiting in the room. (Mousekeeping did make her some cute towel creations. :thumbsup:) We had told them it was her b-day when we made the ressies, and again at the front desk. They did give her a birthday button, and we had a wonderful weekend! However, we didn't expect anything. I've read that they sometimes leave things, but I have a feeling that they either don't do that anymore, or it's just random.

Definitely tell them about the birthdays, though! You never know what might happen. :mickey:

If you definitely want to have something waiting in the room, I suggest calling one of the Intercot sponsors that sell cakes/balloons and schedule to have it delivered to the room while you are away for the day.

Disneymom4ever
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
We celebrated my DS's birthday at DW, and went to Ohana's for dinner that night. Well, my brother-in-law had a surprise, and out came a cake after dinner. He had special ordered it for him. We were so stuffed from the dinner, we couldn't eat a bite. It's tough, if you do a buffet or nice dinner, you want to get your money's worth. It's a tough call, we won't have one this time when we go again for my other DS's birthday.

Oh, and when we went last time, we stayed at ASMovies, and even though they knew it was his b-day, nothing happened at all. So, just don't expect it, and if it happens, all the more surprise! :mickey:

BelleCiavo
02-13-2008, 01:12 PM
We decided not to for our son's birthday last May. They brought out a cup cake with candle for my son and the rest of us ordered dessert, actually I think my ds ordered dessert too, you know 14 yo boys and appetites. :eat: