PDA

View Full Version : Reservations anyone?

WDW1985
02-11-2008, 02:49 AM
OK, we all know that getting dining reservations is getting harder and harder these days at wdw. Obviously this has led to "creative concepts" in finding an open time, which the recent Intercot sticky above has attempted to curtail.

The question I have is do you cancel reservations that you don't use to allow others to obtain??? Yes or No. I would imagine that we all have missed one here or there, but I think it would be interesting to see what people say when it's anonymous. Sorry if this question has been asked a billion times!

wdw1985
:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't remember a poll on this in the past, just a discussion or two. I like to take a poll:blush: Anyway, we only eat one or two sit down meals so we cancel if we aren't going to make them

ljv1975
02-11-2008, 08:02 AM
We had changed our itinerary due to adding days to our vacation, so we had to change some of our ADR's as well. I absolutely made sure to cancel all reservations that we no longer wished to keep. I even called back a few days later with the only purpose of the call being to cancel an ADR. Going through all of those prompts and waiting on hold just to cancel one reservation was a pain, but I just think it was the right thing to do.

merlinmagic4
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I ALWAYS cancel ADRs that we aren't going to use and I have made the long phone call just to cancel as well. I would never, ever, ever not call.

LibertyTreeGal
02-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think anyone is going to admit to not cancelling them around here...... :D

baby minnie's mommy
02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, I've made a ressie before that I didn't cancel. :blush: I made a ressie just a few hours before the meal, and didn't get the one we wanted so Concourse was a "plan B." We decided we really didn't want to eat there that particular night, but never cancelled.

However, I know how hard it is to get in Disney restaurants! I voted yes, because I try to cancel when I know we won't be there. Even though it means no meal there for us, it gives me a good feeling when I cancel, knowing I'm freeing it up for someone who really wants to eat there! :)

IloveDisney71
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I always cancel my reservations if I am not going to use them. I would hate to keep a reservation that I wasn't going to use. I'd feel horrible.

SAHDad
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I've never canceled a reservation. OTOH, when we make the room reservations, we start planning the itinerary, so that, when the 180 days mark hits, I can call and make the ressies.

I did have to call on the last trip and ammend a few, mainly adding people. They do cancel the old one for you when you do that, although going from 6 to 12 people doesn't free up any seats.

NJGIRL
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Always and never at the last minute.

DDuck66
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I would think that most of the people on Intercot are a "little" bit more informed than the general public and I think the voting shows that. I have always cancelled our ADR's if we do not get to use them. Sometimes it may only be a few hours before the scheduled time, but I think it is the right (and courteous) thing to do.

prprincess
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I do, and in fact, I cancelled a few last week.

But I'm not going to lie, the last time we went my entire family came down with a horrible stomach bug. We had ADRs that night, but were all too weak to leave our beds. I even felt too awful to call our doctor for advice.

I definitely felt guilty about it and will honestly never do it again.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I always cancel or change reservations as soon as I know. I'd hate to not be able to get to eat somewhere because someone didn't cancel their reservations...so I don't do it to other people.

poeticeclipse
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I haven't NEEDED to cancel an ADR yet but if I ever have to i'm positive that I would cancel when I find out.

It makes me a bit upset to think about how many people don't understand how the process works and they'll just let the ADR stay scheduled and then never show when someone else could be in their place.

GrmGrninGost
02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I couldn't imagine keeping a reservation I wasn't going to use! That would be so unfair to other people who would like to have that spot.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I always call and cancel, as soon as I'm sure we're not going to use the reservation.

It is a pain to call just to cancel, but I'd feel really guilty if I didn't.

WDW1985
02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I would think that most of the people on Intercot are a "little" bit more informed than the general public and I think the voting shows that. I have always cancelled our ADR's if we do not get to use them. Sometimes it may only be a few hours before the scheduled time, but I think it is the right (and courteous) thing to do.

I would have to agree. It's cool to see such hi numbers for the yes column. :rocks:

I would really love to see a poll with the general public and not just from Intercot. I would imagine that it's not as high as I believed, since ressies are so hard to come by these days, BUT there's still a part of me that always wonders how many people never show in a given day. I would imagine that Disney tracks that on some level.

Thanks for all the great input! We're on our way to WDW in the am and can't wait. :cloud9:

wdw1985
:mickey:

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I also cancel my reservtions if I am not going to use them, not that it ever happens. I would hate for a family to miss out on a meal just because I didn't take the time to call.

Although I can understand that it happens unintentionally, after all you are in WDW and cancelling a dining reservation is a little lower on the to do list than riding Splash Mountain or POTC!! LOL!

PixieChick
02-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I always cancel ADR's. We have even canceled a breakfast two hours before when we woke up with stomach viruses. it's just the courteous thing to do.

Jared
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't think this poll is a very good indicator. This Web site isn't exactly a legitimate cross section of the population, considering everyone here is a Disney fan who knows the reservation system well. Of course, we cancel our reservations.

But the average person from Kansas making his first ever trip to Disney is so overwhelmed with all the planning to think about canceling a random reservation. It would be nice if everybody had the foresight to cancel them, but I realize that's impossible.

Honestly, I don't think unused reservations is really the main reason why it has been so hard to make reservations lately. I pin that almost exclusively on the advent of the Disney Dining Plan.

DisneyDD2
02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm with poeticeclipse, I've yet to have to cancel an ADR. And I hope I never have to. But unexpected things do pop up. I just hope they don't pop up on the morning I have a scheduled breakfast at the Crystal Palace.
I would call and cancel.

Mickey91
02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
:mickey:Definitely cancel