PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Bay Area

Frog
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Possible Suprise trip in the works with kids...
Any must see/hints/?
Going mid March...

SharaLynn
02-10-2008, 07:33 PM
When we take day trips over to SF with the kids, we think a 'must do' is Golden Gate Park. We visit the Aquarium and have a picnic by the gardens. The Exploratorium is fun and hands on. We usually hit Pier 39, but it is very tourist-y, if you are okay with that! We don't spend a lot of time there, but the Sea Lions next to the pier are fun to watch, and the views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate are spectacular. Speaking of which, Alcatraz is neat if you have never been, but get to the ticket area EARLY and plan on half a day for the excursion. Lots of walking, but spooky fun. Talking about it, I feel like we are overdue for a trip over! I love the city....you won't be disapponted!

AZ Disney
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I could go on and on with this post. We moved from the Bay Area 3.5 years ago...boo hoo! Ohhh! Bring lots of layered clothing!

Here is my list as:
Golden Gate Bridge
Muir Woods
Stinson Beach (not sure where you're from but being that we're in the desert now - water is a must)
Coit Tower
Lombard Street
Cable Cars
BART (depending on what your transportation is like at home)
Alcatraz (not just around it) and make your ressies at least 3 weeks in advance.
Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 are big tourist traps, but they still have some appeal and you'll be right there if you do Alcatraz, so why not!
Now that you've seen the city you've got to head around the Bay:
Napa Valley - even with kids
Jelly Belly Factory is fun (Fairfield)
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (an hour south of San Jose)
Gosh, I could go on and on.

Frog
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Keep going! I love it!
We went a few years back (gosh time flies; I guess it has been ten years!!)
And have kicked ourselves for not getting the clam chowder in the Sour dogh Bread bowls down on the wharf...
We are visiting relatives in the San Mateo area, so I am a little curios about hotels that are kid friendly to the south of the city...
We may head up to Calastoga for a day or two and do some day hiking and a wine tour (any suggestions?)
How about the Half Moon Bay area?
Are there any redwood forests we can check out close by?
So much to consider and so little time!

AZ Disney
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry for the delay, but it's been really busy today.

Muir Woods is Redwoods - 30 min north of the Golden Gate http://www.nps.gov/muwo/

Not sure on the hotels in San Mateo area, but I'll think abou it and post any suggestions.

Half Moon Bay is great. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Moon_Bay,_California - don't forget Pescadero too. They have tide pools.

Also, my first post of suggestions we did all of this is one day from early AM to sunset. We know the area, so that saved us time, but depending on how little time you have.
Golden Gate Bridge
Muir Woods
Stinson Beach (not sure where you're from but being that we're in the desert now - water is a must)
Coit Tower
Lombard Street
Cable Cars
BART

I wouldn't think of Calistoga as a place for hiking, but I could be wrong. The girls and I would go their to enjoy wine, spa treatments, shopping, and such. I'll think of some wineries too.

I have to run for now, but when are you going? I'll keep thinking.

thrillme
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
My DS and I enjoy Pier 39 quite a bit. Alcatraz was really cool my DS LOVED it. He was amazingly fastinated by the tales of the gangsters.

However last year we discovered Santa Cruz. Oh my was this beautiful. It even had an amuzement park, bowling, gorgeous beach etc.

I also enjoyed the Winchester Mystery House. My son did too but everybody I told about it appeared somewhat bored.

Frog
02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Plane res. made!!!
whoohoo!
Going week of March 17th...
No firm plans once we get there, due to hanging out with relatives... and they will have plans for us for much of this trip. I do think we are going to do most of the Downtown stuff that you mentioned if for nothing else but educating the kids...(I remeber how cool it was to ride BART in to SF as a kid!)
Maybe another day to hang out up in the Half Moon bay area...
We are really looking forward to going back, visiting relatives, and sharing it all with our girls!
Thanks for all the ideas!

Frog
03-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Just got back!
Really a fun place to play!
Cable Cars to The Bridge...
Street performers to Chowder in a Sourdough Bowl!
Made time to go to Half Moon Bay and drive around. Found St. Gregario (sp) beach and played around... Really a fun trip...
pm me if you are headed to this area and would like ideas!

Mickey'sGirl
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
We're going in August! WE are staying down in Fisherman's Wharf when we are in the city. I would love some information on your trip! We are me, DH, DS9 and DS4. We like museums and aquariums. We do plan to go to Alcatraz (DS9 and DH went last year and really enjoyed it!). :)

Frog
03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Definate Do's:
Cable Cars ($11 buys you a day pass on all SF transportation)
The GG Bridge (We found a little road immidiatly before you get on the bridge that goes down to the right and around the Presidio military base that allowed us to get right under the bridge to take pictures from... Drive over and exit right to Salsalito for a fun town and neat view of SF... Explore!!!)
Fishermans Wharf and walk around (the food was all good... I don't even like Clam Chowder and it was incredible out of the Sour Dough Bowl... Street performers were fun to take pictures with, Giradelli is a hop skip and a jump away for an ice cream treat).
Need to Do's if you have time:
Get over to the pacific coast...
We did the drive up to Half Moon Bay. There are some public beach access spots that offer great views, but if you want to get out and walk around, drive down to St. Gregario (Sp)beach... little river entering the ocean, small caves, sand dollar hunting... it had it all...)
The Alcatraz trip (didn't do this time, but have done before... you can also just take a boat around and under the bridge that is only an hour long... (make reservation during the summer)
Post up after you go, and let us know what you liked!