PDA

View Full Version : tax help needed..... please

DanDisney
02-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I need some help with filing my tax returns. Okay I live in Virginia but this summer I worked in ohio but also worked here part of the year too. I have someone helping me with my taxes. So do I file my ohio state taxes in va or file seperately in virginia and ohio? i think i still have to put down my federal income taxes on the virginia form so will that make any difference even though I didnt work in Va part of the year? if anyone could help me that would be great because I would like to get this right. Thanks in advance!

Piglet822
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I used to live in NY and worked in NJ.
I believe what we did was total all income on our federal return and then filed two separate state returns. One for NY and one for NJ. Everrything was sent to the address for that particular return.
I use Turbo Tax now and although there is no state income tax in FL I know Turbo Tax will direct you and walk you through your state returns.
I don't know if this info has helped or not, it's been 20 years since I've had to do this.

sleepingbooty
02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I've had to do this before, too. I suppose it might be different for every state, but if its like it is in Missouri, here's what you do:
You do an Ohio return for the $$ you earned in Ohio. Then you do your Virginia return, and there is a form to include for income earned in another state. If you use Turbo Tax, it'll walk you right through it, though it'll cost you more because you have to buy two state versions.

Kidsmom
02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
We too have done this the way others have advised. Turbo Tax always walks you through this type of stuff.

Nothing changes for Federal (you pay taxes on ALL income doesn't matter where from) and then do the different states.

Hope you get a refund!

MsMin
02-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I love turbo tax and recommend it too. My dad's a CPA and since his stroke I help him w/ taxes :ack: I don't think I could do it w/o "the box" :thumbsup: