PDA

View Full Version : cameras and water rides

mom2four
02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
We are leaving in less than three weeks and I am so excited!!!

My question...

I plan on brining both my digital camera and camcorder into the parks. What do you do on water riders??? Splash mountain, etc?

Thanks in advance!

ljv1975
02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
I would take along some heavy duty zip lock bags and before the water rides put your digital camera in there. If your camcorder is one of the smaller handheld models it would probably fit in a gallon size bag.
If you want to take your cameras with you or if you don't have a safe place to leave them while on the ride, ziplock bags should keep your electronics safe. You could even double bag them to be extra careful!

PhilHarHarMagic
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I've never had a problem on Splash Mountain by keeping the cameras in the bag and putting the bag somewhere "safe". Unless you are on the front row of the log, there's not much risk of getting massive amounts of water directly into the log and getting things other than your pants and shoes soaked. I've actually videotaped all of SM with the camera wrapped in my hat.

About the only place I can think of that you really need to worry about it is Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom - there you might want to consider getting a locker. I've never heard of someone breaking into one of those lockers, but I assume it has happened - which would ruin my day.

They do have "waterproof" containers on Kali, but I'm not sure how waterproof they really are.

Have a great time - 5 weeks from today I'll be at Animal Kingdom!!!

DizneyRox
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I bring them, I've got some awsome footage/pictures from right up at the top of Splash and also at the bottm.

However, I take no responsibility for what you do with your camera or any damage that may be caused. My advice is for educational purposes only.

Kairi_7378
02-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I used large zip lock bags on our last trip. It rained every day and we had not problems. The trip before that I went to the Splash Mountain gift shop and got them to give me a few large Disney shopping bags... that also worked very well for us. On Splash Mountain, put the camera in my backpack (in one of the plastic bags) and I hold the backpack a little off the floor. On Kali, we put the camera in the compartment in the center of the raft.

faline
02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
We carry plastic bags with us - both for the water rides and for sudden showers. The camera goes in the bag whenever it's in danger of getting wet.

Walt Lucas
02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
i had my camera with me on Kali, i put it in he camera bag, inside the center bin, and it was safe. zip loc bags arn't a bad idea either

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 05:46 PM
We brought ziplock bags and put the cameras in them and then put them in camera cases for Kali. That is the only ride that we really worried about them getting wet. When it rained...we just put the poncho over the backpack we carried them in.

thrillme
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't trust those water resistant bins. I've had the unfortunate experience of a group of kids suddenly boarding with me and throwing 5-6 huge backpacks in the bin with my camera. I politely got out and told the CM this wasn't going to work and waited for the next boat. ALAS...I do swear by ziplock baggies. They come in Gallon size (great for most cameras) and large size great for camcorders etc.

My camcorder is old old old...I hardly use it anymore but...we did buy a nice water resistant case for it a long time ago. But the ziplock baggies are a lot cheaper than this $350 case.

Young@Heart
02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
we've also used ziplock bags in the past, and just bought a new camcorder and digital camera, so we will be doing that again. Just buy the name-brand ziplock freezer bags and you should be fine. :mickey:

Cinderelley
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I do have a water-resistant camera bag, but I hardly ever use it. I like taking pictures on the rides, esp. the front seat of Splash. When we get to the "splash" part, I just put it down in my lap and lean over it. This also keeps me from getting soaking wet as the water goes over me and into the second row seats. :D;) I do the same on Kali River Rapids, although it doesn't keep me from getting wet here since the water comes up from the sides.

Belle619
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
As the others have said, Ziplock bags work great. Also, if I have a poncho (we go in the off season when it is chilly) I'll put my purse/camera bag on under the poncho so that I have a little added protection. :rain:

WDW24
02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, my crazy aunt always brings her camera on every water-ride, and here's what she does:

1. On Kali River Rapids she puts in the big space in the middle for valubles with a big plastic cover.

2. On Splash Mountain, my aunt gets very smart, she puts it in her belly bag. I reccomend this for big picture-people.

I hope this helps!:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
1) Count me among the Zip-Lock bag users.
2) Works like a charm, without freezer burn.

Mikey Piano 23
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Zip lock bags. However watch out your camera and camcorder dont get too hot...shouldnt be a problem. I always just keep my stuff in my cargo pants in a case and nothing has ever happened.

MissT
02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Name brand ziplocks...We tried to save money a bought the store brand from one of those huge stores around every corner...:blush: and it leaked unfortunately.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree with the name brand zip lock bags. I've tried the others and they leak like crazy.

RoosMomKanga
02-16-2008, 03:01 PM
We have cameras in ziplocs in our bag. We carry a trash bag rolled with a twist tie to put everything (backpack, shoes, whatever, and you can set the whole thing on a wet floor in the boat and not worry) on water rides (I can verify that the Kali hold does leak/get wet, and I've seen others get their cameras wet on Splash...we just tape up until the end).

We also always buy an "underwater" disposable camera, which we use in the pools, at the WP's, and on the water rides like Splash/Kali!:thumbsup: