PDA

View Full Version : Our Group on a Cruise?

Dakota Rose
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I've just started considering a DC for our next vacation. I've read all of AbeeNormal's trip report and that alone was enough to convince me to try a DC.

I have a couple questions that pertain mostly to our particular dynamics.

The cast:
Self
DH
DS (he'll be 4)
Baby (7 mos)
Parents (57 & 60) high maintenance

The questions:

1) Does the infant count as a 4th person meaning we'll have a room with the pull-down berth?
2) Are the rooms even big enough to accomodate a crib? Or can I get rails for the pull-out sofa?
3) Is it fairly easy to get rooms close to each other?
4) We want to pair the cruise with time at WDW. Which is more relaxing? WDW first or cruise first?
5) Can we add extra days at WDW or do we have to book that separately?
6) We can either afford 3-day cruise w/veranda or 4-day cruise without. Which would you choose?
7) Most importantly, both my dad and I have panic attacks when we're in large crowds, so I've chosen January 2009 b/c the parks should be pretty quiet, but what about the cruise? He also suffers from claustrophobia, but he loves boats.

Thanks, guys!

Tink1
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I will try and answer some of these:

1) Does the infant count as a 4th person meaning we'll have a room with the pull-down berth?

Yes, the infant is included in the room count (life boat count) Children under age 1 normally only pay the taxes.

2) Are the rooms even big enough to accomodate a crib? Or can I get rails for the pull-out sofa?

Yes, they will bring in a crib or pack n play.

3) Is it fairly easy to get rooms close to each other?

Usually. I would start the planning process soon in order to secure them

4) We want to pair the cruise with time at WDW. Which is more relaxing? WDW first or cruise first?
I would say WDW first.

5) Can we add extra days at WDW or do we have to book that separately?

You can add extra days through a Land/Sea package, or you can book each portion seperate. You would need to see which one worked out best for you financially.

6) We can either afford 3-day cruise w/veranda or 4-day cruise without. Which would you choose?

Due to Question #7 I would say get a verandah. However, I also think a 4 day cruise is MUCH better than a 3 day. If you could do a verandah with a 4 day it would be perfect.

7) Most importantly, both my dad and I have panic attacks when we're in large crowds, so I've chosen January 2009 b/c the parks should be pretty quiet, but what about the cruise? He also suffers from claustrophobia, but he loves boats.

The ship is very roomy with lots of open public spaces. If claustrophobia is an issue, I highly advise getting a verandah cabin. Even to just be able to open the balcony door to let air in will help.

Nanc

TammiMcMan
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks like Nanci covered all your questions, I'll just add to question #6. Unlike resorts, in most situations you get to select your stateroom number when you book. That way, you'll know right away if the rooms are close by or even connecting if you'd like.

If you go to the Disneycruise website and click on the red "virtual ship tour" at the top of the page, you can view each stateroom on each deck. Those that have an arrow pointing towards each other, are connecting.

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi there,

Thanks Nanc, for your answers. :thanks: Can you clarify something for me?

Yes, the infant is included in the room count (life boat count) Children under age 1 normally only pay the taxes.

Yes, they will bring in a crib or pack n play.

So, will we end up with a pull-down berth then?

The rooms are small, will we be tripping over the pack-n-play? I'm one of those "a place for everything" kind of people. :crazy:

Is January a busy time of year for cruising? :crowd:

TammiMcMan
02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
So, will we end up with a pull-down berth then?Yes, you should have a room that accomodates 4, which would include the pull down berth.

The rooms are small, will we be tripping over the pack-n-play? I'm one of those "a place for everything" kind of people. :crazy:The rooms are actually some of the biggest in the cruise industry. If you go with a pack n play instead of bed rails for the convertible sofa, things may be a little tight while it's out.
When not in use though, you can tuck it and not lose any space.

Is January a busy time of year for cruising? :crowd:We did a 4 night cruise in January and it was fantastic. It was right after the New Years sailing and the ship was no where near crowded

MagicalD
02-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi
I just wanted to add, that when we did a cruise, I had 15 mos. old twins with us, and had two pack-n-plays in the room as cribs. We had a verandah room which I highly recommend, btw.

Anyway, I do not remember feeling cramped by the 2 cribs at all, and my boys slept well. The cribs were put up during the day, and laid out for us each night by the staff.

That was in 2005, and we will be going on another cruise in 2009 to celebrate their 5th birthday. We had a big group with us, too. DH, myself, twin boys, My sister, mother, brother, SIL and his 2 kids. It was great, and a wonderful way to have a holiday with family.

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Cool! Thanks! I'm not very good at setting up those pack-n-plays so I'm glad they handle it. :thumbsup: