PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dining Experience Member Application

Hull-onian
02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I just printed out the DDE membership application. This is for a new membership. If you have an annual pass it costs $65.00.

Does anyone have the DDE? :confused:
Do you like it? :listen:
Does it work well in the restaurants? :chef:
Is it worth it? :spend:
:thanks:

Cinderelley
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Whenever I used the DDE, I always figured that it paid for the tip. You would have to figure out how much you would be spending for it vs. how much you'll save with it.

teambricker04
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I am looking at getting this for our next trip as well. We went before you could buy it at guest relations... I am just planning on getting it when I get there. Has anyone done this?

I am thinking, especially with some of the character dining that we are planning on doing, that this will be a great benefit. I would love to hear more :mickey:

Piglet822
02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I've had my DDE almost a year and I like it. I think it might have cost me more money because we probably dine out more than we would have normally, lol.
It's definitely saved me money and I was quite pleased with the fact that I was able to use at the Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian.
I'm not sure what the participating restaurants are anymore, I haven't checked lately.
As someone stated above though, you'll definitely have to crunch some numbers to figure out if it would be worth it for you, or not.

Ariel_Fan
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
IS it only for table service or is it also for counter service (resorts, etc)?

wendy*darling
02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
IS it only for table service or is it also for counter service (resorts, etc)?
It is primarily for table service restaurants.

The only counter service places that take the DDE card are those resorts that do NOT have a TS restaurant- the Values and POFQ for example.

In AK, Flame Tree and Tusker House used to take the DDE, but I have not seen an updated list to know if Flame Tree is still on it since the opening of Tusker House as a TS place and additionally- Yak & Yeti.

KylesMom
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
We've been DDE members for three years now, and I must say that we've found the membership invaluable. Within a few days of our first visit, it has paid for itself. Since we try to get two annual trips out of our A/Ps, we order the DDE a short time before our first trip. That way, the membership will expire at about the same time our A/P does - and thus allowing us two trips with it. You do have to have a plan. Ensure that you've got ADRs planned so that you can take full advantage of the card. As mentioned above, the card is accepted at all Disney table service dining locations and the resort food courts which do not have a table service restaurant on property.

I would agree that we eat at TS restaurants more since we've become members, but it's changed our vacations substantially by slowing us down and allowing us to enjoy all that Disney Dining has to offer - with a decent discount on the total bill (which includes alcoholic beverages).

It's saved us a nice sum of cash on each visit and I'll be ordering another membership in June for our July trip! :mickey:

SAnderson70769
02-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I have been looking into doing this for our trip in a few days as I have an AP this year. Some things to note:

1) you can see the latest list of restaurants in InfoCentral here on Intercot under Dining and Disney Dining Experience.

2) I read somewhere that as of Jan 1, 2008 there is an automatic 18% gratutity added regardless of the number in your party.

3) If you are staying at a resort without a TS restaurant then you can use it at the food court - this would save my family tons as when we stay at POP or POFQ we eat at the food court quite often.

Hope that helps your decision making process! Enjoy your trip!

Harriet
02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I got one the last time I purchased a AP pass and since I knew I would be going back again before the year was up it did save me a good some since I prefer TS over counter service. I was able to use it quite offen. Since I travel solo this was a number crunch I had to work out. It is most for sure a must for a family even if they nly get to go once in a year. If I had only been goingonce i would not have gotten as the saving would not have been enough to bother. I know the next visit I will more then likly not get one as the cost is up from when I had gotten one and I would not get any savings at all. You need to crunch the numbers before you decide.

Kathie_WE
02-10-2008, 09:22 AM
We have found that the DDE pays for itself then some. But, we go often (6-8 weekends a year), we rarely each at CS restaurants, and we like to try new places. You will have to determine what kind of each you are eater you are.

Also, the card is not taken at restaurants not owned/operated by Disney. So you cannot use it at Yak & Yeti, Rainforest Cafe, the restaurants in Japan, and most everywhere in DTD.

We enjoy the Disney eating experience and the DDE card makes it that much more enjoyable!!

CHEERS!

Kathie

ibrowse17
02-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I used my DDE card at Flame Tree on Friday, so they do accept it. :thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
02-11-2008, 04:46 AM
WE get it too and love it. I like to have a few drinks so they are included, that's a big plus. On Saturday we went to the Adventurer's Club and with the card it's %50 off.:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
We purchased our DDE card at MK Guest Relations on the first day of our trip in December. It expires on 1/31/09, so we get almost 14 months on it even though we bought it right there. :thumbsup:

We saved around $450 on dining during our 12 day trip. Our dinner at V&A alone more than paid for the card, so the rest of the meals were gravy. We are going back down in May for a 7 day trip, so we'll get even more savings.

We tip 20-25% wherever we go, sometimes more. We've never gotten service at WDW that didn't warrant that amount. So, now that the 18% gratuity is included, we will save even more on the card. I feel guilty, though, and will probably throw a few bucks more on the table to still give them that much of a tip.

We never found the service to be worse when we were on the DDP and had the tip included, so I'm sure it will be fine with the DDE.

DDE is well worth the cost, and as long as we have AP's, we'll have the DDE card.

wendy*darling
02-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Also, the card is not taken at restaurants not owned/operated by Disney. So you cannot use it at Yak & Yeti, Rainforest Cafe, the restaurants in Japan, and most everywhere in DTD.
Actually whether or not Disney owns/operates the restaurant is not the deciding factor. Most of the restaurants in Epcot's World Showcase are not owned or operated by Disney, but do participate. But Japan's restaurants opened after the negotiating period for 2008, so that may play into it.

Tutto Italia has been added.
In Downtown Disney- Cap'n Jack's Planet Hollywood and Raglan Road all accept the DDE.
I have read that Yak & Yeti was recently added, but I can't confirm that yet.

Cinderelley
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
WE get it too and love it. I like to have a few drinks so they are included, that's a big plus. On Saturday we went to the Adventurer's Club and with the card it's %50 off.:thumbsup:

The drinks are 50% off or the entrance fee is 50% off?

wendy*darling
02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Admission to PI is 50% off.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
If you get a card how many people can use it?

SurferStitch
02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Only the person who's name is on the card can use it, but it's good for your party of up to 10 people. An additional card is available for a spouse at $25. So, if you put the card in your name, you must be present to get the benefit. They also look at your AP when you show them your DDE card to match up the name.

I know it used to be for a party of 10....that might have changed, but I'm not sure. It's only ever the two of us, so I just don't remember.

Hull-onian
02-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I want to thank all of you for responding to this thread. Since I have never had a DDE, I was on the fence about purchasing it. I will definetly get it now. We are eating a some very nice places.
Kona Cafe
Chef Mickeys twice
Boma's twice
Rainforest Cafe
Cape May
The Cantina in Mexico
Sci Fi Diner,
and I can't remember :confused: the other restaurants.

laughingplace<3
02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know what it is... :blush: Someone want to help me out?

Cinderelley
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Click on the link and it'll take you to the info about it in info central.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp