PDA

View Full Version : Travel Agent vs. Disney website

Tonyajo
02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
What, if any, are the advantages of booking through an agent?

I've gotten quotes from a couple of different agents (Magical Journeys and USAA) and also done my own quotes on Disney's site. From what I've found, the prices seem pretty much identical across the board and neither agent has offered any 'incentive' to speak of. So, I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing or if I should just book through the Disney site!?

If it helps: We're looking at JUST a cruise- 4 day Bahama. ;)

WonderlandsMostWanted
02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, Disney does keep a pretty tight handle on what they charge for a cruise, so you won't see much initial difference in price. Travel agents do offer some specials such as On Board Credits, or a sort of cash back offer when you return from your trip. The big bonus I've found with MJ for example, is A) any time I have ANY kind of specific question about my trip, whether the cruise part, the land part, how something works, etc., I have someone I can e-mail directly and expect to recieve a response within about 24 hours. B) if at ANY point between now, and when we set out for our vacation, Disney offers ANY special that pertains to our reservation, MJ will know about it right away and have it applied right away!

Using a travel agent isn't for everyone. I know on my last trip to WDW I was worried about my level of control over my vacation and was reluctant to "give up" my trip to a travel agent. I wound up going with my local AAA agent because I could get a package discount from her, and I won't do it again. She wasn't knowledgeable about much of anything Disney, and made mistakes that had to be "corrected" 7 times (same mistake, different variations.) When a new discount was released by Disney, I had to tell my travel agent about it. That's a big part of the reason I'm going with MJ. I've NEVER done a cruise, let alone a Disney cruise, and I like having someone who knows what's going on, and how to find acurate answers to questions I can't find an answer to myself.

Tink1
02-07-2008, 10:25 PM
We do run a special on DCL bookings
http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/DCL/forevermagic.htm

Your support of us, enables us to support Intercot as well.

Nanci

ElenitaB
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I had always planned our WDW vacations on my own (well, that and with a "little help from my friends" here on INTERCOT). However, I gave up the control and have let Magical Journeys handle my cruises for me. Melissa is very understanding of my tendency towards being a control freak :blush: (though I'm sure she has righfully grumbled about me a time or two).

One thing that MJ has done for me was to inform me of a VERY BIG discount for our upcoming cruise. I'm pretty sure that DCL wouldn't have e-mailed me immediately when the discount came out to let me know that I didn't have to pay them a whole extra chunk of change. And when we had to cancel our originally planned cruise in Nov 05 due to a medical crisis, Melissa came through as the Blue Fairy and was able to help me postpone my cruise and not cancel it. So, as you can tell, I'm very much a fan of Magical Journeys.

Tonyajo
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I had always planned our WDW vacations on my own (well, that and with a "little help from my friends" here on INTERCOT). However, I gave up the control and have let Magical Journeys handle my cruises for me. Melissa is very understanding of my tendency towards being a control freak :blush: (though I'm sure she has righfully grumbled about me a time or two).

One thing that MJ has done for me was to inform me of a VERY BIG discount for our upcoming cruise. I'm pretty sure that DCL wouldn't have e-mailed me immediately when the discount came out to let me know that I didn't have to pay them a whole extra chunk of change. And when we had to cancel our originally planned cruise in Nov 05 due to a medical crisis, Melissa came through as the Blue Fairy and was able to help me postpone my cruise and not cancel it. So, as you can tell, I'm very much a fan of Magical Journeys.

I have to say that the agent I've spoken with has been AWESOME!!! Which, in and of itself makes me want to book w/ MJ - that, coupled with the fantastic feedback I've seen here on Intercot really make me lean that way. It's all just a bit confusing to "sort out" when you're first getting into this stuff! :confused: ;)

Nanci, thank you for the link! I'll definitely check that out. Also, knowing that supporting you helps support this lovely site is incentive as well! :)

Thank you all for your replies. I think I have my answer! :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
02-08-2008, 12:53 PM
If we ever cruise wiht Disney again I would absolutely go with MJ.
We used AAA and we had many transportation to the port issues that I thought had been resolved the day before we left home.
When we got to POR I was killing time waiting for my DD's family one morning and I stopped at the cruise desk in the lobby to ask a question about something and the woman at the desk pulled up our info and our transfers were not linked in the system for luggage pick-up on the day we were going to port. 2 minute fix and we were ready for luggage pick-up.
While watching the video in our stateroom the day before disembarkation I noticed the luggage tags were not the same as were being shown. A quick trip down to Guest Services and once again we found out that the paper work that was submitted from the AAA agent was wrong. 5 minutes later we were on our way with the correct luggage tickets in hand and the next morning went like a dream.
Lessons learned:
1) Never use AAA again.
2) Disney really, truely does take care of you.
3) Trust MJ, these ladies know Disney travel inside out.

DisneyDudet
02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Last cruise we booked with a different agency, which turned out to be a HUGE problem with communication and such, so we decided to go with MJ this time. After hearing everyone's great experiences with them, we thought that this is the best route.

So far, we've had great times with MJ!!

thejens
02-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Another vote for MJ. I am also a control freak and booked my first vacation in WDW on my own. I find Disney's website tedious and annoying at best. It is so much more pleasant to book with Wendy at MJ. She emails me back immediately about any inanane question. She gives me the heads up and reminders re. times to book tickets etc. It is just much nicer.

Tonyajo
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've been emailing back and forth with Denise at MJ and she has been so wonderful! I will DEFINITELY be booking through her!!! :number1: