PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand why some people hate winter

jillluvsdisney
02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I think when it's all over and counted today, we'll have about 13 or 14 fresh inches of snow on the ground. It was just a white out here almost all day. It takes me 35 minutes to commute to and from work. This morning took an hour and the ride home was an hour and 20 minutes. I made it home unscathed. Then the real fun began. The condo roads had not been plowed yet and the wind had created a nice 4 foot snowdrift in front of front door and garage. I had no where to park without getting stuck. Luckily, a plow was coming by and I asked him to plow me a parking spot. Whew!!! Then I walked in snow deeper than my knees into the condo. What a fun day!!!!:thedolls:

I'm thinking of all the devastation caused my the tornadoes and it keeps things in perspective.

A warm sunny day cannot come fast enough.

MartyS
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I know just how you feel. Day before yesterday, it was almost 80 degrees here, and then a cold front blew in and we struggled to reach the mid 50's today. All kiddin' aside, I don't know how y'all do it, even a light dusting of frozen precip around here closes down schools and businesses, and everybody heads to the grocery store and gas stations, and then stays at home for the duration of the event. We Texans don't do very well on icy surfaces. Hope that cold stuff melts for you tomorrow, and things warm up a little.

SBETigg
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
I've lived with winter all my life and I still whine like a baby when we have ice storms. The snow can get to me, but the ice is worse. And both are better than the frigid cold, when it drops well below zero and stays there for days or weeks- ugh.

But yes, seeing the tornadoes and all the suffering and loss reminds me that I have nothing to whine about right now. It seems there are weather hazards and risks no matter where you live, but it sure is heartbreaking to see other people going through it. Sorry about your snow.

WDWfanatic742
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Move down here. It's a balmy 80 something degrees around here :sun:.

Too hot if you ask me, but its better than having snow ruining a day.

kakn7294
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't like it when it's really cold - like below 20 - and I don't like the ice storms but for the most part, I really don't mind the winter. Even heavy snow doesn't bother me unless I'm at work as I can be mandated to stay and work 16 hrs, have 7.5 hrs off to sleep somewhere in the hospital, and then work another 16 hrs - all in my same nasty uniform (I do at least keep deodorant in my locker!).

PrincessEmmasMommy
02-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Jeaolousy has set in for me. We live in North Jersey and I am a teacher. What I would do for just one snow day. We have had a very weird winter this year. Usually we have had at least one storm by now. Oh well, as Phil said Saturday, "6 more weeks of winter." There is still hope. Hang in there! Send some our way!
Jen

disneygirlnowmom
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Don't feel bad. We had 18 inches here. Gotta love it.:thumbsup:

Ghost * Hostess
02-07-2008, 10:15 AM
My dd is praying for a snow storm. We have had nothing but rain and lots of it. Staten Island Chuck predicted an early spring, which is my favorite season. I would'nt mind one snow storm this year, (as long as the rain will wash it away once it gets all dirty).

Jeff G
02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Where abouts are you in Wisconsin? I live in the Appleton area and we didn't even get flurries but 35 miles south my parents in the Fond du Lac area got 12+ inches:snowball:. I was watching the news today and Madison looks to really have been hit hard.

Even missing this storm it seems like it snows every other day this winter and it's been really cold:freeze:.

Hopefully spring is early this year.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Here in MA we had rain all day yesterday. I got out of work at 930pm last night and it was raining. About 11pm we had a MAJOR thunder/lightning storm. It actually sounded like it could be a tornado because it was a long rumbling sound and then a huge BOOM! and the sky lit up like day time.
Then a little while later I had hail pounding on the windows. Then I woke up this morning to snow. We had everything except sunshine. I'm done with winter. Bring on the 80 degrees and sun!

bucky at disney
02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Where abouts are you in Wisconsin? I live in the Appleton area and we didn't even get flurries but 35 miles south my parents in the Fond du Lac area got 12+ inches:snowball:. I was watching the news today and Madison looks to really have been hit hard.

Even missing this storm it seems like it snows every other day this winter and it's been really cold:freeze:.

And it looks like we are going to get another arctic blast this weekend with wind chills 20-30 below again.

DH tells me he can't wait for an above average day for temperatures! Hopefully spring is just around the corner.

mjm
02-08-2008, 10:29 AM
You know I was going to post a question about how many people are stuck at home because of the snow. But, this topic seems as good a place to post.

I'm stuck at home because I can't get out of my subdivision! This is one of the few times I miss my suv.

My wife got stuck just in front of our house and it took a half hour just to get her back into the driveway. It's weird because she was able to get out yesterday. The only thing I can figure is that the snow wasn't so packed down yesterday and now she just can't get a grip with her tires.

I'm not even going to try because I've got the smaller car. It's not like I don't have anything to do at work. At least I can connect in remotely in case of problems.

My daughter's going to have to call in to her job tonight if the plows don't come.

So, I guess we'll just have to wait and hope the plows come down today.

And yes, thinking about those poor people struck by the tornadoes does keep it in perspective. But, it's still frustrating.

MsMin
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
We've dipped in the 30's more this winter than many others. Our weather keeps changing between 40 and 80.. you never know what to wear. Spring is very close here... Several trees are blooming and the irises are coming up. My azaleas are blooming but they are a little confused :flower:
So sending plenty of warm sunshine your way :sun:but I have to say I am jealous. Unfortunately by the time you defrost we start to melt with the blistering heat and humidity....

Aurora
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Hey Jeff! My in-laws live in Appleton and they said the same thing -- not a flake where you are but socked in Fond du Lac. That's unusual because my FIL is usually always bragging that you guys get more/less/hotter/colder weather than we get. ;)

We're snowy here in Chicago -- forecasters say we haven't had this much snow in a winter for about 30 years. (I remember those winters -- they were great!)