PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Webshots or another photo site?

Disneyatic
02-06-2008, 11:33 AM
One of my main goals this year is to get all of our pictures transferred over to a photosharing website.

I decided on Webshots and joined on Sunday but it isn't working as easily as I hoped.
#1--it takes FOREVER to download pictures from my computer to their site. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to download from my kodak software to the website easily but I am working on that.
#2--I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to navigate the site very well. I can't figure out how to move pictures from one album to the next, I can't figure out how to upload a picture to my profile (those are my two immediate problems!)
#3--There is a disclaimer on there that says something to the effect of "Webshots does not guarantee storage of your pictures, make sure to have backup copies of your photos"
My main reason for getting a site like this is to get all the files off of my computer, so now I still have to keep copies somewhere??

So after all that, my question is to anyone who uses this site or another like it....
Is it just me or is this harder than it should be?
Do I really need to back up all of my pictures?

tinkerbell04
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I haven't used webshots, but I do use snapfish. I haven't had any problems with them losing pictures in the three years that I have used them. I am sure that it happens sometimes though. I do transfer all of my pictures onto CD's just so for my peace of mind I have them as a back up. This gets them off of the computer, but still leaves them accessible. I just burn them on there and label them. After I did it a few times, it became very simple. :mickey: Hope this helps a little bit?!?!?

AZ Disney
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I have photo accounts on several sites, since they all have different products. My favorite is Costco which is really snapfish but with cheaper prices than snapfish.com. They have the best prices and a very good selection of photo gifts. This is how I share my photos with friends and family, holiday cards, calendars etc. I also burn a CD each time I have a signifigant amount of photos as a backup which cost less than $4. My second favorite is Shutterfly. Their photo gifts are more expensive, but I like them very much. I recently had my motherboard go down, but thankfully did not lose any data. I would highly reccomend backing up your photos yourself or using a service. I don't have any experience with WebShots. Good Luck.

Altair
02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Do you have the little "webshots desktop" icon on your desktop? That's the easiest way to upload photos and edit albums. Just make sure to log in. :mickey:

MauiMouse
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Do you have the little "webshots desktop" icon on your desktop? That's the easiest way to upload photos and edit albums. Just make sure to log in. :mickey:

I agree, use the Webshots desktop program. You can find it on Webshots home page, download it. It's a little program that resides on your computer, you still have to log in to webshots but once you are there, you can upload photos and move them around with a lot more ease than the internet version.

While it's true you should always back up your photos onto CDs or another sort of media I have never had problems with loosing my photos on Webshots. I have deleted some yes.

The reason I like webshots is that I have more or less an unlimited about of storage for photos, been a member for at least 6 years now.

Donald A
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I used webshots for several years. I have found the Kodak gallery to be easier and they seem to make better prints in my opinion (ie, not cut off parts of the pic). I do remember when I used webshots I downloaded a special program to transfer photos. It does take awhile as these files are large. The Kodak gallery did not require a special program but one photo can take up to 30 seconds to upload to the site.

JanetMegan
02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I use kodak gallery as well and I LOVE their site. You can download their "photo upload software" I actually use an old version called ofoto 3.0 (which you can still find on their site...)

Try kodak?

Disneyatic
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't have the desktop icon, but I did see it on the website so I will do that tonight and maybe it will make uploading easier!
I am also going to just burn everything to a CD after I have transferred it to Webshots so that I can get the files off of my computer.

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far, I appreciate the input and experiences!