PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants

christna03
02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
My boyfriend and I going to be in DL in May and are trying to figure out where the two big restruants that were going to be eating at while were in DL. One chose that we have already chosen is: Goofy's Kitchen. What other good choices are there too try? :mickey:

KrystalR83
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
My bf and I like the Blue Bayou in Disneyland. The food is great and it is nice to have a table right next to the water of POTC. The prices are high but we think its worth it. We go there every trip.

Aisling
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
A couple of questions for you -
Are you and your boyfriend of legal drinking age (21 or older) and what is your idea of a good price to pay.
If you are of age and like wine, then Napa Rose is romantic and has a great wine list.
If you are of age and don't drink much but like a good steak, Steakhouse 55 is great. As well as Hook's Pointe, both on the Disneyland Hotel property.
If you want romantic with loads of atmosphere, Blue Bayou can't be beat. Especially if you can get waterside. I recommend the pork chop with apples. Yum!!
I also really like the Storyteller's Cafe in GCH, it has yummy italian type dishes.
If you like seafood and/or cajun dishes, head to Ralph Brennan's in DTD.
Rainforest is fun for the atmosphere, but their food is mediocre at best. Your basic chain restaurant food.
Catal is nice, there are some on this board who do not like Catal, but I think they are okay. If you can get balcony seating, it's very pretty outside and you can watch people strolling through DTD.
Naples has yummy pizza and a fairly good wine list (I don't actually drink wine, but my sister does and she's recommended these places to me for taking friends. I can vouch for the food though, very good!)
Most of these places are pricey ($50 - $100 depending on if you have alcohol) for two people.
It could be just as romantic and fun to grab a corn dog at CA and just people watch, it all depends on what you want. :)

NotaGeek
02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
My boyfriend and I going to be in DL in May and are trying to figure out where the two big restruants that were going to be eating at while were in DL. One chose that we have already chosen is: Goofy's Kitchen. What other good choices are there too try? :mickey:

:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Blue Bayou is the hardest restaurant to get priority seating in Disneyland.

Steakhouse 55 is right next to Goofy's Kitchen and it's AMAZING steakhouse at dinner (expensive!) and the best place for breakfast (totally reasonable!).

Yamabuki is THE place for sushi, and it's located in the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Hooks Point is a great choice for medium price dinner and is at the Disneyland Hotel next to the pool. This is the place I eat EVERY time I visit the resort.

Carnation Cafe is my favorite place for breakfast in the park. It's right on Main Street.

Plaza Inn has the best lunch/dinner buffeteria with really good fried chicken and roast beef with REALLY huge portions.

Best cheap breakfast is at Tommorrowland Terrace in DLR, for some reason it's hardly busy and only about $6 for a full breakfast!

Hungry Bear in DLR and Taste Pilots in DCA are the best burgers in both parks.

Disdude
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Blue Bayou is the hardest restaurant to get priority seating in Disneyland.

Steakhouse 55 is right next to Goofy's Kitchen and it's AMAZING steakhouse at dinner (expensive!) and the best place for breakfast (totally reasonable!).

Yamabuki is THE place for sushi, and it's located in the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Hooks Point is a great choice for medium price dinner and is at the Disneyland Hotel next to the pool. This is the place I eat EVERY time I visit the resort.

Carnation Cafe is my favorite place for breakfast in the park. It's right on Main Street.

Plaza Inn has the best lunch/dinner buffeteria with really good fried chicken and roast beef with REALLY huge portions.

Best cheap breakfast is at Tommorrowland Terrace in DLR, for some reason it's hardly busy and only about $6 for a full breakfast!

Hungry Bear in DLR and Taste Pilots in DCA are the best burgers in both parks.

I agree with all these recommendations except for Blue Bayou but I'm not sure this was actually a recommendation. The atmosphere is awesome and the food is decent but what really messes this place up is the guests. My wife and I had a table on the water and it was quite disconcerting to have people in passing boats screaming things like "toss me a roll," or "can I have a bite?" It wasn't once or twice but rather through most of the meal. For the price you pay, I would have enjoyed my meal more at Yamabuki. Of course I prefer sushi to Monte Cristos any day :)

NotaGeek
02-12-2008, 01:26 AM
I agree with all these recommendations except for Blue Bayou but I'm not sure this was actually a recommendation. The atmosphere is awesome and the food is decent but what really messes this place up is the guests. My wife and I had a table on the water and it was quite disconcerting to have people in passing boats screaming things like "toss me a roll," or "can I have a bite?" It wasn't once or twice but rather through most of the meal. For the price you pay, I would have enjoyed my meal more at Yamabuki. Of course I prefer sushi to Monte Cristos any day :)

You are correct. I think that everyone should do BB once, but to be honest, if I never eat there again, I will be fine. It's over priced for the service level, especially for lunch, and if I am spending that much money I would rather eat at at any other restaurant.

Miss Mouse
02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
I would highly recommend Cafe Orleans!

The atmosphere can't be beat, especially in the evening. The restaurant is in New Orleans Square, right across from the Rivers of America. If you sit out on the patio, with the lights glowing and the water across the way, it's just gorgeous!

The food is delicious, too. There are many different types of things to choose from (the pomme frites are awesome, as is the ratatouille) and it's not as pricy as some of the restaurants in the resort hotels. All around, a great choice.

One note - a reservation isn't required at this place, but I would recommend having one for a May trip. It will really cut down on your wait. Enjoy!

christna03
02-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all suggestions. They'll come in very handy. :mickey:

SharaLynn
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I am going to put my hat in the ring and suggest Blue Bayou. I have been many times and never had anyone yell at our table. I also don't recall anyone in our boat for POTC yelling at the patrons. But anything is possible! Just my :twocents: :blush:.

We usually go for lunch, and I LOVE the Monte Cristo. The desserts are pirate themed(if you like that sorta thing :pirate:). It is important to note that they do charge a fee to split a meal...we have done this for the Monte Cristo as it is HUGE.

I think this restaurant is iconic..a must-do for any DL visit or special occasion while there.

No matter what, you will have a great time!

Miss Mouse
02-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Just a tip - if you do decide to do BB, and you're hoping to try the Monte Cristo, be sure to make your reservation for lunch. They no longer have the monte cristo on the dinner menu. If all else fails, it's on the menu at Cafe Orleans all the time.

Another tip - if you go to BB, try the cookie boat! YUM! :thumbsup:

Belle619
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I love Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney - especially the second floor balcony seating. The food is always wonderful and you can't beat the atmosphere. :mickey:

BronxTigger
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
How is the Carnation Cafe for lunch? I've seen some photos of the food online and it looks good, especially the potato soup.

NotaGeek
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM
How is the Carnation Cafe for lunch? I've seen some photos of the food online and it looks good, especially the potato soup.

Carnation Cafe is good for any meal ... but Breakfast is where's it's at!

BronxTigger
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Carnation Cafe is good for any meal ... but Breakfast is where's it's at!

We have complimentary breakfast at our hotel each day. So we won't be eating breakfast "out". Only lunch and dinner.

Here's the tentative plan:

Arrive Tues April 22 10:45am:
lunch CS at airport or DLR
dinner CS at Jazz Kitchen Express in DTD

Wed April 23:
breakfast at Candy Cane Inn
lunch at Carnation Cafe
dinner CS at Pacific Wharf

Thurs April 24:
lunch at Golden Horseshoe
dinner CS at Redd Rockett's or Village Haus

Fri April 25:
lunch at CS Taste Pilot's Grill
dinner at ?? (I'll be by myself at this point...my mom flies out at 5:30p and I fly out at 9:30p...hooray for red eyes!)

Any comments/suggestions/feedback? I know WDW very well but DLR is unfamiliar to me. Thanks!

NotaGeek
02-22-2008, 06:40 PM
You might want to consider The Trattoria in DCA instead of the Wharf CS ... or how about the AMAZING friend chicken/roast beef at The Plaza Inn CS or Rancho del Zocalo? The French Market is a nice and less expensive sit-down dinner option at Disneyland ... it just seems you are hitting all the counter service places, and none of the great sit-down locations.

tinkwest
02-22-2008, 11:43 PM
If you must choose between Village Haus or Redd Rockett's I would personally suggest Redd Rockett's.

Also, I agree with Michael. Go to Plaza Inn sometime. I like all of their entree items.

Carol
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Thurs April 24:
lunch at Golden Horseshoe
dinner CS at Redd Rockett's or Village HausI'd try to coordinate lunch with the 1PM Billy show. If you arrive around 12:30 you can get your food and then dine during the show. I'd switch it to Wednesday though so you can see Kirk Wall perform. He is off on Thursday and Friday. You will see an entirely different show on those days. We don't go near the Horseshoe on those 2 days. No Kirk - No Billy show. :twocents:

How is the Carnation Cafe for lunch? I've seen some photos of the food online and it looks good, especially the potato soup.I'd have to say the Carnation Café is an excellent choice. I've eaten all three meals here and have absolutely no complaints. We have PSs for several meals there for our upcoming April trip. It's so nice to dine in the park and the food, prices and location cannot be beat.

If you do lunch and like soup - the baked potato soup is to die for! :eat:

Have fun. :balloon:

ChipnDaleGal
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I'd try to coordinate lunch with the 1PM Billy show. If you arrive around 12:30 you can get your food and then dine during the show. I'd switch it to Wednesday though so you can see Kirk Wall perform. He is off on Thursday and Friday. You will see an entirely different show on those days. We don't go near the Horseshoe on those 2 days. No Kirk - No Billy show. :twocents:

I have to back Carol up on this change. If you can switch and see a Wednesday show you will not be disappointed. You will get to see "Puddleprance" which I think may be my favorite Billy song/act. It is so funny you will get an ab workout over your lunch! To get the best Billy experience you need to have Kirk as the lead Billy!

I hope you enjoy your trip. Discovering Disneyland is such a treat. :mickey:

BronxTigger
02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Okay, that is good information about the Golden Horseshoe. I'm a little confused by it though. It is a CS place with entertainment at specific times? And the times are consistent each day?

I got the PS for Carnation Cafe on Wednesday; I guess I will change it to Thursday so I can eat at the Horseshoe on Wednesday.

Thanks

SleepinB
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
It is a CS place with entertainment at specific times?

Yes. When we went about two week ago, we got to the Golden Horseshoe about 30 minutes before show time. There was still some good seats. Once you enter, the counter service is to your right. Consistent with counter service dining at Disney, it is open seating.

And the times are consistent each day?

There are not any show times posted on the Disneyland website for your dates yet, but the usual times are: 11:15 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:35 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:15 PM. Once you get closer to your travel dates, you will be able go online and use the Disneyland calendar to get actual times per day for your trip.

The lunch/dinner food is chicken strips, fish & chips and mozzarella sticks. Though my kids love the food IMHO there is better food in the park, but you can't beat the show and a nice air conditioned place to sit. Having said that, the ice cream sundaes looked delicious and the chocolate cake slices were huge.

BronxTigger
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Some places say reservations are needed and some places say there are no reservations. What's the actual situation?

Also, is the fish pervasive? As in, can you smell the fish (from the fish & chips)?

Thanks again.

SleepinB
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
The Golden Horseshoe is a typical counter service dining area. No reservations, open seating. Get your food at the counter and find a place to sit.

As far as the fish, there is not any particularly strong fish smell or any fish smell for that matter. It is your typical bland fast food deep fried fish and chips.

Jozymouse
03-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I am also looking into the restaurants and was wondering how long it takes to walk from Disneyland to Downtown and also from California Adventure to Downtown? How about the 3 Disneyland hotels, are they far form the parks? We would like to eat at different places without waisting too much time on "getting there" ! Thank you all! :mickey:

NotaGeek
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I am also looking into the restaurants and was wondering how long it takes to walk from Disneyland to Downtown and also from California Adventure to Downtown? How about the 3 Disneyland hotels, are they far form the parks? We would like to eat at different places without waisting too much time on "getting there" ! Thank you all! :mickey:

It's less than 5 minute walk from DLR to Downtown Disney ... and from all the hotels it's 5-10 minute walk.

joyce
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
does anyone know if you can make PS for lunch and the golden horseshoe???? i read poly"s response and would like to see the show with lunch. Are there only 3 choices??? for lunch:mickey:

MegaDisney
05-06-2008, 08:40 PM
It is a counter service so no PS.

They have only a few items but I am not sure it is just three, I can't remember, but you can get food from any counter service and bring it into the theatre.