PDA

View Full Version : DDE question

Goofeygal
02-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I was thinking about getting the DDE card. It says that there will be a tip automaticaly added on to all purchases. Does this also include counter service that you do not tip at? Hope this isn't a stupid question.:secret:

ILoveLegos
02-06-2008, 09:25 AM
No, it's not a stupid question. Tips will not be automatically included at counter services. However, make sure that you note that the counter service locations where you can use the DDE card is very limited. In fact, technically it is only use-able in places where the is not a full service "sit down" resturant available. The counter service places that my card listed where you can use the DDE card included:
1.the counter service places @ value resorts,
2.POFQ counter service location
3. Animal Kingdom's Pizzafari & Tusker House.
I have heard that people use the DDE at POR counter service, but I never tried that before.

Flower
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
After having the DDE for several years and just using it in January for the first time since they implemented the automatic 18%, I do not think I would renew the card.

There were several sit-down meals that we did not feel warranted the full tip, service was slow, etc. By the time the bill came and once the 18% was added we were only saving a dollar or two per bill, you'd have to eat A LOT of meals in order to make up that $65.00.

There also seemed to be a lot of counter service we had used in the past that were no longer participating in the program.

SurferStitch
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
The only CS locations we were ever able to use our DDE card at was at the Pop food court. If a resort or park has TS dining available, you can't use the card at any of the CS places there.

We were never able to use it at Tusker House. We tried, but were told it was not accepted there (this was a couple years ago). I was surprised since there was no TS option available, but alas, we could not use it. We didn't think much about it...probably should have asked for a manager. Not an issue now since it's no longer a CS restaurant. And, now that there are two TS restaurants in AK, Flametree and Pizzafari will probably be eliminated from the DDE.

It is well worth the cost, even with gratuities included. You don't only save a couple bucks. Sure, if you count the tip at 18%, then it can look that way, but you should be tipping anyway, so that's neither here nor there. We've never had service at WDW (whether OOP, DDP or DDE) that warranted less than an 18% tip, so if anything, we will be saving even more money with the DDE card now. We usually tip 20-25% (sometimes higher), so if they only want 18% now, we will be saving even more with our DDE card. I welcome it.

So, pay full price OOP, plus tip, or pay 20% less for your entire meal plus tip (based on the non-discounted price).....kind of a "no brainer".

On our last trip we saved around $440 with the DDE card. We will save money on our next trip in May, and more when we go back in the fall. How can I complain???:thumbsup:

wendy*darling
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree- you are still saving at least 20%- since you would have to tip anyway on the full price. Now, you may be saving 22% if you do not add to the 18% tip. Still an excellent deal, IMO. :thumbsup:

The DDE card is designed to be used at table service restaurants.
The only counter service places that have ever accepted it were at the value resorts and POFQ- because they do not have the TS option.
And in AK, I would expect any CS to no longer participate since Tusker House and Yak & Yeti are now available.

And don't forget the discount on alcoholic beverages. You can't get that with any other plan.

But, if your family really prefers CS meals and maybe only dines at TS a couple times on a trip- this may not be the card for you.

SurferStitch
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
And in AK, I would expect any CS to no longer participate since Tusker House and Yak & Yeti are now available.

True...very true.

Is the Yak & Yeti going to start accepting the DDE? They didn't when we ate there in December.

Crow
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
but is the tip based on the prediscounted total?
I will use it at POP in the food court & Classic Concoctions. and i was thinking in AK since theres a EMH evening, if the CS are still open.
if you go over $300 the cost is worth it, if i figure right. that is the break even point of buying a AP discounted DDE card .
I figure I probably will as I hope to use it on 2 trips then.