PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella's Royal Table Going Downhill

tarzan_rocks
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
In 2000 I dined at Cinderella's Royal Table for the first time with my wife to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. It goes down in our personal history as perhaps our greatest dining experience ever. The food was exquisite; service impeccable. We truly felt like royalty just being there. The most memorable part of the experience was feeling like their guests. They made us feel completely comfortable like we could stay and hang out all night if we wanted. Of course, we didn't. We had another date with Tinkerbell and Fantasy in the Sky.

We went back to Cinderella's in 2004 with our two-year-old daughter for the princess breakfast. Though lovely, it was not nearly the regal experience we enjoyed years before. Our lasting impression this time was feeling herded. We were brought in with several other parties sitting at adjacent tables. The Princesses all came by in quick succession. They were outstanding, the best I've ever seen. We were still enjoying our meal when all of a sudden we realized all of our neighboring tables were empty. All those folks who were ushered in with us were gone. We then realized that our server was subtly doing things to help us leave. He stopped refilling our glasses voluntarily. He started asking us questions like "How did you enjoy your meal?" instead of "Are you enjoying your meal?" We got the picture that they were trying to rush us out. I can see maybe if we weren't still eating. At their prices, I felt like we should at least be afforded the opportunity to finish our food. As we expected, a whole other group of people were brought in around us and we never heard from our server again.

Our tenth anniversary is coming up in January. I'm in search for a place to take my family to celebrate the occasion. My first thought was Cinderella's Royal Table. It has been several years since our lackluster experience there. Perhaps they've perked things up a bit. So I started asking around, searching Intercot and reading online reviews. You know what I found? Increasingly negative responses over the last several years. I thought I would share my observation with you all to see what your thoughts are. Have you noticed such a downward trend? Are there reasons why people haven't enjoyed Cindy's like they have in years past?

I've moved on to other considerations for this milestone celebration. It's sad though. I would have loved to have gone back where magical memories were made while making new ones.

tr

ljv1975
02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I haven't been to CRT, but we do have reservations for the breakfast in March. I have read many reviews both good and bad on the experience. The main feeling I get is that the experience is so immensly popular right now that Disney is probably trying to milk it for as much as they can. They book the tables to maximum capacity because it is in such high demand. I might have steered clear of the whole thing if I didn't have a 2 year old "princess" who is going to get a kick out of eating in the castle. :princess: Besides, I figured it was something to at least try once so that we can see first hand what the fuss is all about.
Like I said, I have no personal experience as of yet, this is just what I have gathered while researching the meal for myself. I hope that no matter what you choose, your tenth anniversary is wonderful!! :mickey:

Ruprect
02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
We were there for the breakfast in Septemeber and definitely felt herded. If it wasn't for my little princes and princess I would have felt it was a waste of time and dining credits (2 TS for that breakfast?!?!). The kids had a great time and the princesses were all excellent. Despite that I doubt we will be going back to CRT anytime soon. We'll try our chances with Akershus next time.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I think a lot of the difference is the change in the meals.

We went to CRT for dinner on our honeymoon and loved it..the service was perfect, they decorated the table, it was just awesome.

We returned for breakfast the next year, with DD who was 8, and it did feel rushed. We just didn't let them rush us, ordered extra of what we really liked, got more juice...although we did get the feeling that we should have vacated the table more quickly.

However, it was still the hilight of DD's trip, and we have booked another breakfast for our May trip, on her birthday. She loved it, plain and simple, and we'll put up with the rest for her.

DizneyRox
02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
It's a victim of it's own success. Disney has seen 100% bookings there over the past years and have raised prices and downgraded the menu to maximize profits.

Yes, it's interesting to be there. For dinner, the food isn't THAT bad, but it's certainly not a must do on my list. For the price it's certainly not a great place to have a good meal, but it does have a little more magic than many of the other places.

Diznee4Me
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
The DW, DD and I had dinner at CRT in November and it was a phenomenal experience. We had our time with Cindy before going up - the DD even received a magic wand (she's 16:D) - all three of us loved it.

Next the three of us were seated at a table that held six. We had the whole table to ourselves and never felt rushed to give it up. Our waiter was the best part. His name was Ken, from Liberty, North Carolina, and he did a great job. (I subsequently wrote a letter to Disney after our trip to praise his sevice.) He told jokes and never broke character - I was the king, my wife the queen and our daughter the Princess. He was a delight the entire meal. Oh, and the food - :thumbsup:

Expensive yes, but in this case well worth it.

KylesMom
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
We, too used to frequent CRT for dinner, and loved the experience the first and subsequent two time we dined there. The first was for our 10-year anniversary and we found it delightful.

Each trip thereafter, however, service and the experience in general dipped lower and lower - while the price climbed higher and higher. Finally, on my 39th birthday a few years ago I decided that would be the last time we ate there. The server would not take my DH's prime rib back (it was too pink for him) - the server kept insisting in broken english that "it was fine, he'll eat it". Suffice it to say, I not only had a lousy birthday dinner, but it really took the magic out of dining in the castle forevermore. :(

joanna71985
02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I might be different, but I love eating at CRT. I first ate there for lunch for my birthday back in 2005, and I have eaten there every year since (and will be doing so again in July). I just love everything about it.

MickeyChick
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
The last time I was there it was called King Stefan's Banquet Hall!!!

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
My 2 DD's and I ate there in June 06. We all three loved it. Our server called me "my lady" and both DD's "princess". The food was really great. We couldn't wait to take DH and DS on our recent trip (DH thought it was only a girl thing and wouldn't go in 06). Our experience in December was TERRIBLE. So much so that both DD's were so disappointed. Even they noticed the difference. Our server was lousy. He never once said my lady, princess, or prince. Everything was so rushed. He wasn't even polite about getting our drink order or food order. He took my plate away while I was still eating. I asked him if he would like the fork that went with the plate he had just taken(I had just taken a bite and still had it in my hand). He just gave me a dirty look and walked off. DD 11 said she felt like cattle being herded in and out as fast as possible. If my memory serves me correctly, we were in and out in under 45 minutes. DD11 has no desire to ever go back. DD6 also was let down. DH has nothing to compare it with so he thinks it's just bad all the time.
I hope you get a better server than ours.