PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana new menu - a dining review

Here we go again...
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Well, we just got back from 'Ohana and ate off the new menu.

Since it just started yesterday, it was insane... the kitchen was crazy busy. They did not have the right dishes so everything came out on huge platters. We spoke to the chef about our thoughts and he filled us in on a few things.

First, they are now serving a coconut bread. This bread will go away soon and be replaced by the pineapple bread they serve at breakfast. According to the chef, it will be as soon as they figure out how much they will have to make so they do not run out.

The veggies are changed, now broccoli and green beans. Better taste.
Wontons are gone and steamed dumplings have replaced them. yuck. The chef said that he wants to fry them but he is getting resistance from Disney. This is all part of their Getting Healty plan.

Potatoes are still there for now, they will be gone in 8 weeks. They will be replaced by noodles. No one could tell me how those will be cooked.

The sausage is gone. The meats are:
BBQ Pork
Turkey
Beef
Shrimp

The shrimp was VERY spicy. I love seasoned food, but this was crazy. There was an after burn with this shrimp.... the next batch was much better after we said something about the seasoning. They did not brush as much on and it was better.

Pineapple and caramel is coming back... for a price. It will now be served as an appetizer at the bar for about $7. You can get it at your table for that price too.
We got it free from the chef. He was very nice and said that a lot of the customers had the same concerns that we did.

Overall, the food was still good. Love the salad, chicken wings and skewers. Would like less seasoning on the shrimp and would like the see the wontons fried again.
We will eat there again, but it will not be on the "must do" list.

I would love to hear what others think as you visit 'Ohana over the next couple of weeks.

PirateLover
02-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Wow. I am so disappointed. I guess its safe to say I won't be eating there anytime soon then. I loved the old vegetables- I can't stand broccoli and it doesn't sit well with my stomach. The wontons were just OK for me but I hate dumplings. And the potatoes are one of my favorite dishes in WDW. I can't see how I could possibly enjoy any kind of noodle more than the potatoes. The sausage was also one of my favorite skewers. I don't eat shrimp. Basically every change in this menu is for the worst according to my very picky palette. Oh well.

SBETigg
02-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I think the dumplings would be a better addition to the menu than the wontons. Weren't there originally dumplings before the wontons? So that's a reversion back to what people preferred, and I do like steamed.

Same with the removal of sausage and return to shrimp- this is no doubt responding to what people have requested. So many of us were upset with the shrimp being taken off and served as peel-and-eat instead. And the veggies seem like an improvement, too. I do hate to lose the potatoes, delicious dish, but the noodles fit the menu better. All in all, I think you would find more people in favor of the menu changes than against. Sounds like a good move to me.

SurferStitch
02-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I won't miss the sausage. I never really liked it. I like the shrimp replacement.

The veggie change is okay with me. I love broccoli and green beans, but I also loved the other medley, so I'm good either way.

The dumplings sound good, even though we loved the wontons. Only problem was all I could envision was the amount of fat being consumed in all those fried wontons. I know, I know...there's plenty of fatty food that I consume in WDW, but I like steamed dumplings, so every little bit helps.

Not happy about the potatoes at all! :mad: They were so delicious. Not sure about a noodle dish...sounds like they want to cheap out a little.

I'll miss the peel-n-eat shrimp....they were awesome. BUT....at least we have them on skewers now. And I love spicy, so bring it on! I'm also glad they're keeping all of the other meats...they always cook them perfectly, and they are so juicy and delicious!

And, $7 for pineapple with caramel on it? No thanks...I'll stick with the bread pudding.

mouseketeer mom
02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
The potatoes are going???? NOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Those might possibly be the best food on Disney property.
I just announced the potato situation to my family as they are getting ready for school and work and suddenly everybody was wide awake!!! They are aghast that the potatoes are going!!!

BethieTink
02-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Wow, this is disappointing. I will have a hard time convincing DH to go back to one of his favorites.

We can both live with the sausage change. I never liked it and DH doesn't eat it. The dumplings sound good to me, but he will miss the wontons. He doesn't eat veggies, so that is no big deal to him. Is to me. I loved the medley that they served. Seemed to me like the veggies in a stir fry.

The potatoes kill it for us. They are incredible. I guess I would try the noodles, but he won't. He doesn't like anything like that. This is sad. :( With the menu changes, the most he would eat would be the beef and turkey skewers and the chicken wings. Taking the potatoes away takes Ohana away. Wow, I am really bummed now.

Maybe by the time we plan to go back to Ohana, the potatoes will be back. I can only hope.

Teay
02-05-2008, 07:48 AM
What a coincidence! We ate there last night as well and, except for this crazy family that kept complaining about the shrimp, it was really good! ;)

After hearing the rest of my table go on and on about the shrimp, I finally gave them a try. Normally, I let the 'peel and eat' shrimp pass me by since it's just so messy and there's other things so good to eat. At first bite, the shrimp just seemed to have a blackened grill taste. About 20 seconds later though there was a seriously warm afterburner that kicked in....just the way I like it! :thumbsup: But I know I am out of the norm, since I truly love spicy food. It was a bit of a shock to get such incredibly spicy-hot food at a mainstream Disney restaurant. Chef Greg went out of his way to send us some very lightly seasoned shrimp but for our very sensitive teen we had with us, it was still too much.

Shame the potatoes are on their way out...man, they were incredible. :tasty:

Hat's off to Chef Greg who went above and beyond answering all our questions and also entertaining us for quite some time.

And he FINALLY got that crazy lady to be quiet! ;)

RAIDER
02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I went there last year for the first time and thought it was great ...I am a meat eater at heart but thought there sausages were awful so am glad to see the back of them ..:thumbsup:

January-2007
02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Huh. I didn't like the previous vegetable medley so that change is a welcome one. I love brocolli. Pineapple bread, yes, that stuff is amazing. DH really liked the fried wontons but I love steamed dumplings, and he likes them too, so I think that's okay. Do they still serve the bread pudding? That stuff is fantastic. The peel and eat shrimp was my favorite part of the meal so if that's not there I'll be so sad. I get the impression it's gone with the addition of the skewered shrimp. All in all we'll definately still return, but I'm sure it won't be the same... Oh, and the potatoes, they were so good! I hope the sauce on the noodles is good enough to replace them.

It's just after 8 in the morning, I don't have a trip planned, and I'm worrying over the state of a restaurant 900 miles away. Ah, the life of a Disney daydreamer.... :mickey: Can't wait to go back!!!

Jared
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Are they pork dumplings? Veggie dumplings? Some combination?

SgtTigger
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
What a coincidence! We ate there last night as well and, except for this crazy family that kept complaining about the shrimp, it was really good! ;)

First off I don't believe you that she got QUIET........... :shake:

Angel did call me last night to tell me about the changes since we had talked about them before she went.......
I am not to sure about these changes.... I don't like a few of the things that have changes and this is just after putting Ohanas on my top 2 list of places to eat.........

It looks like I wont be doing it on my next trip after we have done it every trip..... I will wait and see what happens......

:cop: :tigger:

laprana
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
What a bummer about the potatoes! :( I loved them so much when we had them the first time last summer, that I got the recipe and made them at home. (Not quite the same as eating them at 'Ohana, though!;)) I wasn't a huge fan of the wontons, but I've never had a dumpling in my life. What are they exactly? :confused: Glad to see the sausage gone :ack: and my Dbf will be really happy with the shrimp skewers. I'll be happy as long as they still have the turkey and the bread pudding!! We have ADRs at 'Ohana for our May/June trip, so hopefully we won't be disappointed with the changes! :thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, overall i'm bummed. I guess i'll address each change individually.

Pineapple Bread: Sounds great! I've never had it before. I'm sure it will be quite filling though.

New Veggies: Score! The other ones were good but I loved the old green beans so i'm pretty excited to see them coming back even if its not exactly the same.

Wontons replaced by Dumplings: I didn't really like the wontons all that much. I only liked one of the dipping sauces. I love dumplings so i'm pretty excited to try these.

*I don't sound too disappointed at this point do I?*

Maui Potatoes are gone: *POOF* That's where they've lost me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these darn potatoes. I even made them for Thanksgiving! If I wanted noodles i'd go to China. Grrrr....:mad:

Shrimp: SHRIMP! Yes!! DH and I don't eat red meat or foul. Just seafood. Boy am I excited to get my skewered shrimp back.

Pineapple at a price: Are you kidding me? Seven bucks for a little fruit and caramel? I've been begging them to bring it back. I guess I got what I wanted... at a very high price.

Overall, what a bummer. I'm getting some of the things that I wanted but losing the potatoes just doesnt balance it out. I honestly think that DH won't want to revist 'Ohana if his potatoes aren't there. :(

PetefromRI
02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
We were there about a week ago and they were in the middle of changing.The veggies were good(broccoli and beans).No wontons or dumplings but we prefer steamed dumplings anyhow.The potato dish was the best we ever had so it will be sad to see them go.As long as they don't can the bread pudding we'll be happy.The peel and eat shrimp were awesome so it will be a bummer to see them go but the skewered shrimp were still the best,spicy and tasty.We'll be back every time.

Spaceship Tigger
02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Odd that everyone raved about the potatoes being the best thing there, and now they're soon to be gone. Oh well...

Can't say that I'm all that excited about the other changes. I don't care for broccoli or steamed dumplings at all. I guess it doesn't matter to me much since we decided to try other restaurants after our last trip anyway...

Tinkerfreak
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
We went here for the first time on our last trip and we thought it was ok but not great. The meats were all really dry. We loved the sticky wings they had and the potatoes were what made me say I would try it again. If the potatoes are gone then we won't be trying it again.

ThanxForNoticin
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, folks, there's only one way we can convince 'OHana that they need to keep those potatoes - we have to let them know it's not acceptable to replace them! The potatoes really are a highlight of the menu there and it baffles me why they would be replacing them. Speak up and let them know!

Jared
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
The potatoes are delicious but never fitted the theme of the menu. I understand why the chef would prefer noodles, which are more consistent with the rest of the meal.

But, like the above poster said, tell the restaurant how much you like those scalloped potatoes. That's the only way 'Ohana will consider keeping them on the menu.

CanadianFan
02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Gee, everyone is raving about these Ohana potatoes that I didn't get to try because we went to brekkie instead -- can someone post the recipe somewhere? Please?!? :lei:

Jaycee's Mom
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Well we leave in less than 6 weeks so I hope it is really 8 weeks before the potatoes are gone. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm disappointed to see the wontons go. My DH loves wontons. I'm curious to try the shrimp since I've never had it and love spicy food. Why get rid of the potatoes? I rather have potatoes than noodles.

ncrohrs
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
We will be dining at Ohana on February 16 so I will let you know! I have never been and we have dinner reservations. I am excited to try those potatoes though, I have not heard a bad thing about them!!!

lightyearfan
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=Here we go again...;1538215]Well, we just got back from 'Ohana and ate off the new menu.

Wontons are gone and steamed dumplings have replaced them. yuck. The chef said that he wants to fry them but he is getting resistance from Disney. This is all part of their Getting Healty plan.

do you try the dumplings? are they pork?
will be going to Ohana's twice in June , we made the ADR'S before we knew anything about a menu change, maybe we'll have to make it back for 1 visit?? the shrimp doesn't bother me since im alergic, and i dont mind the sausage being gone either , but the wontons and the potatoes were really good so they'll be missed, i surely hope that they don't take the wings away, because they are awesome.

VIctor

PirateLover
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I do hate to lose the potatoes, delicious dish, but the noodles fit the menu better.

The potatoes are delicious but never fitted the theme of the menu. I understand why the chef would prefer noodles, which are more consistent with the rest of the meal.

I guess since I'm not a "foodie", I don't really get this whole idea of switching out a great dish just because it doesn't fit the "theme." I can understand the rest of the changes because I realize that I'm not a typical eater and those changes may have more of a mass appeal, but it seems obvious from the responses that the potatoes are widely considered the best part of the meal. I may be alone here, but when I go out to eat I don't care a drop about "themes", I just want delicious food. :shrug:

Mackflava99
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Does anyone have recepi for Maui Potatoes- ?

SBETigg
02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I guess since I'm not a "foodie", I don't really get this whole idea of switching out a great dish just because it doesn't fit the "theme." I can understand the rest of the changes because I realize that I'm not a typical eater and those changes may have more of a mass appeal, but it seems obvious from the responses that the potatoes are widely considered the best part of the meal. I may be alone here, but when I go out to eat I don't care a drop about "themes", I just want delicious food. :shrug:

Well, the whole meal has a sort of Polynesian theme to it and it used to be rice, not potatoes. Potatoes aren't really the first thing to come to mind with the style of meal. There was a big uproar when they changed to potatoes-- until everyone tried the potatoes and they are so good. I agree that all things considered, I prefer the potatoes.

But if switching out dishes for healthier options is part of the reasoning behind it, I definitely understand the switch. White potatoes are one of the worst food choices to make, when covered with what I suspect are large amounts of butter and cheese. Noodles, probably not much better but not sure what kind of noodles. I'm imagining a lo mein type dish with lots of veggies and maybe soba noodles or something which would make it lighter.

And back to themes, attention to detail is what makes Disney so special. You wouldn't find spaghetti on the table with turkey and trimmings at the Liberty Tree Tavern, for instance. Delicious as it may be, it just wouldn't fit. There's a theme.

PirateLover
02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Sherri I totally understand everything you're saying but I guess I'm also tired of getting healthy forced upon me. When I'm on vacation I like to indulge. Well I just talked to my fiance about this whole menu change (he is on the same page as me, every change I told him was met with a "yuck") but he also took the position that it will just force us to try other restaurants!

Does anyone have recepi for Maui Potatoes- ?
Ingredients

1 pound Russet potatoes (washed and sliced)

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup cheddar cheese

2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions

1 tsp kosher salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a greased baking pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let stand five minutes before serving.

crltkcagle
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
why can't they just leave a good thing alone? Ohana was our favorire place and we loved the potatoes and the peel and eat shrimp!:mad: we are planning on going back in september so i will have to watch for more reviews of this new menu.

Jared
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, the whole meal has a sort of Polynesian theme to it and it used to be rice, not potatoes. Potatoes aren't really the first thing to come to mind with the style of meal. There was a big uproar when they changed to potatoes-- until everyone tried the potatoes and they are so good. I agree that all things considered, I prefer the potatoes.
I agree, Sherri, but I also understand PirateLover's perspective.

When the menu changed the first time, people on the boards argued the addition of the potatoes was an unusual and unwelcome substitution. It turned out they were delicious.

If the noodles are good, we'll probably forget about the potatoes after a few weeks.

KAT1811
02-06-2008, 12:20 AM
The potatoes are going???? NOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I can't see how I could possibly enjoy any kind of noodle more than the potatoes.

Not happy about the potatoes at all! :mad: They were so delicious.

The potatoes kill it for us. They are incredible.

Shame the potatoes are on their way out...man, they were incredible. :tasty:

What a bummer about the potatoes! :( I loved them so much when we had them the first time last summer, that I got the recipe and made them at home.

Maui Potatoes are gone: *POOF* That's where they've lost me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these darn potatoes.

The potato dish was the best we ever had so it will be sad to see them go.

. . .the potatoes were what made me say I would try it again. If the potatoes are gone then we won't be trying it again.

Well we leave in less than 6 weeks so I hope it is really 8 weeks before the potatoes are gone. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Why get rid of the potatoes?

why can't they just leave a good thing alone? Ohana was our favorire place and we loved the potatoes . . .

Well, folks, there's only one way we can convince 'OHana that they need to keep those potatoes - we have to let them know it's not acceptable to replace them! The potatoes really are a highlight of the menu there and it baffles me why they would be replacing them. Speak up and let them know!

Okay people ThanxForNoticin is right! I certainly hope that someone from Disney is lurking here. Has a potato dish ever been loved so much? :heart: I also will hate to see the Maui Potatoes go! I love them. I'm on vacation and I couldn't care less if noodles are better for me. I'm sure the Lapu Lapu isn't that great for me either!!! LOL!!! :papple: :tikki:

Here we go again...
02-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Hat's off to Chef Greg who went above and beyond answering all our questions and also entertaining us for quite some time.

Ahhhhh... my friend... revenge is sweet. This from the person sleeping in Old Ket West for $30????? ;)
And yes, Chef Greg did a fine job.... even though some crazy lady was trying to set up my 13 year old DD with him.

Are they pork dumplings? Veggie dumplings? Some combination?
Yes, pork and veggie.

do you try the dumplings? are they pork?
will be going to Ohana's twice in June , we made the ADR'S before we knew anything about a menu change, maybe we'll have to make it back for 1 visit?? the shrimp doesn't bother me since im alergic, and i dont mind the sausage being gone either , but the wontons and the potatoes were really good so they'll be missed, i surely hope that they don't take the wings away, because they are awesome.

VIctor
I do not think the wings will go away. I think everyone should try 'Ohana... you may love the changes.

But if switching out dishes for healthier options is part of the reasoning behind it, I definitely understand the switch. White potatoes are one of the worst food choices to make, when covered with what I suspect are large amounts of butter and cheese. Noodles, probably not much better but not sure what kind of noodles. I'm imagining a lo mein type dish with lots of veggies and maybe soba noodles or something which would make it lighter.

It looks like Disney is going healthy with everything. We were asked to do a survey at Epcot and the whole thing was about healthy eating in Disney.

I agree that there should be healthy options, but they should be OPTIONS. I hate that the fries have been taken out of the kids meals, parents should be able to choose if their kids get fries or applesauce. My DD would only eat fries and chicken for a while.

Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone, It has been removed beacuse it contained trans fat.
Once again I think we should have an option... put up a sign saying the dessert contains trans fat and let us decide. Don't remove it and tell us that we can not have it.

I am eating healthier and have lost a lot of weight. I would probably make the healthy choices now on my own, However, for those that want those foods they should be able to have them.

WDWRox
02-06-2008, 06:43 AM
This is fairly good news, I think. I pretty much only eat the turkey at 'Ohana, but the switching out of some of the other stuff that I don't really touch anyway isn't that big a deal. But they need to toss out that banana pudding :ack: altogether. That stuff is just completely :ack::ack:. I'm glad to see the pineapple and caramel sauce will be back, but it's pretty stupid to have to pay an additional charge for it. It should just be a normal desert option.

BethieTink
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
If the noodles are good, we'll probably forget about the potatoes after a few weeks.

Not us, DH doesn't eat noodles, especially if they will presumably have an Asian sauce on them. We will just take Ohana off our list. This kills me, it really is one of our favorites.

We took a bunch of friends to Ohana the first night of our trip in October and everyone loved it. We asked for seconds and thirds on the potatoes. They were a huge hit.

I could understand a change, if the potatoes were going back to the kitchen untouched by a majority, but I don't think that is happening.

In regard to the healthy eating, I have been a Weight Watchers member for almost 2 years and have managed to lose 70 pounds and get to my goal weight. When I go to WDW, I go to indulge. I don't need Disney telling me what healthy options are. I am all for offering them, but not forcing them on people.

poeticeclipse
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Just a note on that recipe. It's really easy! I've made it twice now and everyone really liked them. They don't taste EXACTLY like the ones at 'Ohana. They're pretty close though. Next time I make them I might use a little less heavy cream though. I feel that it was a bit overpowering. I added more cheddar cheese to it though.

Now that I think about it... if the noodles that are replacing our beloved potatoes are anything like the ones that they serve in their vegetarian dish... they're really not bad. In the vegetarian dish they are served with a huge pot of soy sauce (or something like soy sauce). The noodles were bland on their own though.

Question about the dumplings - Do you get both pork and veggie? I don't eat meat so I want to be prepared that we won't have to skip an entire part of the meal.

poeticeclipse
02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone, It has been removed beacuse it contained trans fat.

Wait wait wait!! It's gone gone? For good? Geez, what are they doing to us?

Jared
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Question about the dumplings - Do you get both pork and veggie? I don't eat meat so I want to be prepared that we won't have to skip an entire part of the meal.
I was wondering the same. I eat meat but don't eat pork.

Aggie97
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM

We ate at 'Ohana Monday night. We were served pork dumplings (they may have had some veggies mixed in, but they weren't veggie dumplings).

We didn't mind most of the menu changes. We preferred the new bread to the fried wontons. My husband liked the shrimp skewers (I don't eat seafood).

I think I'm fine with the upcoming noodle replacement -- I thought that the previously served rice matched the menu better than potatoes, and noodles may do the same. We had good gratin potatoes at Narcoossee's.

My only disappointment was the change in dipping sauce -- the red harissa sauce was replaced by a sweet-and-sour sauce (intended for the shrimp). :(

Teay
02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone.......

Still crying about THAT! :fit:

Jared
02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
So long they didn't eliminate the peanut sauce, I can handle virtually any change.

Disney Doll
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I see a lot of people saying they will not return to Ohana given the menu change. Ohana is one of my favorites and I would encourage everyone to give the new menu a try before you write them off. As for me, I'm not too concerned about the menu changes. I don't like sausage or shrimp. The won tons and potatoes were good, but I'm all for trying new things. So far it doesn't sound like the new foods are terrible just different. You never know until you give it a try. :thumbsup:

I like that Disney is trying to be more healthy and I think there are still plenty of opportunities to splurge on unhealthy choices. However, I can see how some people would be annoyed about Disney taking the choice out of it.