PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness Question

DakotaDisney
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I have not been on a cruise before. I have been on a large overnight ferry between Norway and Denmark about 20 years ago. It was a rough night and most people were sick. I got a little uncomfortable, but not real bad. We had something to take for it.

How are the Disney Cruises like the 4 day/2 Castaway stops?

Where do most people find it better to be?
Inside staterooms (no windows)
staterooms with small windows
staterooms with large windows
staterooms with verandahs

or doesn't it help at all?

I am not real concerned, I haven't gotten motion sickness before on water or rides, that I can remember, but having never been on a cruise I don't want to ruin it by being sick.

AbeeNormal
02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
A lot of folks I talked to liked the veranda, the reason for that is they could go outside even when they were in their room for fresh air. You do feel the movement of the ship but I personally never felt sick. The Dr.'s office on the ship was giving people that were feeling queezy a patch to put behind their ear and it seemed to help most people.

Hope that helps. We were just on a cruise last month so feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

DakotaDisney
02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks AbeeNormal

I have read your posts about your trip. It looks like you had a great time!

Here's another question: I want to spend some time while on the cruise relaxing and doing some reading. I plan to spend some time on Castaway doing that at the adults beach, but I don't think I can afford a room with a verandah. It would be nice to have a verandah to sit on and read in privacy, but if I can't is there a nice somewhat quiet spot outside on the ship where a person could relax and read without a lot of commotion?

Of course this would be only a part of the trip. I definitely want to check out what the cruise has to offer!:mickey:

Thanks!

AbeeNormal
02-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Absolutley -

There is an adult pool which is so nice because there are people there but it's really quiet. Another great spot to read outside of the room is on deck four where you go to have your drill. There are the comfiest loungers out there I kow you will love them. There are also porthole windows that you can sit in on the way to the adult indoor area's and then of course there is my favorite place in the world Diversions.

I hope that helps. You're in for such a treat. Enjoy!!

ElenitaB
02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Most say that having a mid-ship stateroom location will help with seasickness. As for a more secluded place to hang out and relax, there's a spot at the rear of Deck 7 that many (but not too many) enjoy.

adoptionislove
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Dear DakotaDisney,

I, too, am a first time cruiser and am REALLY nervous about my cruise in March! :sick:I tend to get vertigo and am a little worried about it!

We went ahead and booked the Verandah and after reading Abeenormals reports I am glad we did!!!!!!

Michelle

DisneyDudet
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Most say that having a mid-ship stateroom location will help with seasickness. As for a more secluded place to hang out and relax, there's a spot at the rear of Deck 7 that many (but not too many) enjoy.

Shhh! Ellen, that's a secret!!!! hehe :secret:

But that is true, if you are wanting some sun, you can head to deck 7 aft (which is down the hall from our stateroom!!). There is a SMALL deck with chairs, that not a lot of people know about, but it isn't always open. It can sometimes be closed for events for teens or kids club stuff, plus, it closes around 11pm.

Deck 4 (Promenade deck) is nice. It is shady, and has GREAT chairs!! They are padded, and remind you of old cruises (think White Star Line... sans iceburg).

The adult pool is nice, but it can get crowded.

As far as seasickness.. I've never had a problem. My grandmother, however, suffers from Meniere's Disease, which causes chronic vertigo. She has her prescriptions for dizziness with her at all times, but got the patches behind the ears, as well as those pressure point bands. She never had a problem, and we had some rough seas. Others report that Bonine (a non drowsy type of dramamine) helps, especially if you take it before you sail, and constantly take it. Ginger pills have been known to work for the nausea.

As far as rooms, I have stayed in an inside and oceanview on deck 2, two different times, both midship. I never had a problem. Some say that being able to see the horizon is good, others say no. Also, the lower you are in the ship, the better chance you have to NOT feel the movement much, versus being higher on the ship.

This year, we are going to be on Deck 7 aft, with a navigator's verandah. We will see how that is different, but it sometimes depends on your waters, and how far and fast the ship must travel.

You may feel it most on your first night, as they are traveling to CC, but probably because you are getting your sea legs (which takes me about a week to GET RID OF!). I've always noticed it the most on the first night, or if we hit some rough seas.The trip to Nassau and back to Florida from CC is the longest on the Double Dips, so it would be most noticeable on those nights.

AbeeNormal
02-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Shhh! Ellen, that's a secret!!!! hehe :secret:

But that is true, if you are wanting some sun, you can head to deck 7 aft (which is down the hall from our stateroom!!). There is a SMALL deck with chairs, that not a lot of people know about, but it isn't always open. It can sometimes be closed for events for teens or kids club stuff, plus, it closes around 11pm.

Deck 4 (Promenade deck) is nice. It is shady, and has GREAT chairs!! They are padded, and remind you of old cruises (think White Star Line... sans iceburg).

The adult pool is nice, but it can get crowded.

As far as seasickness.. I've never had a problem. My grandmother, however, suffers from Meniere's Disease, which causes chronic vertigo. She has her prescriptions for dizziness with her at all times, but got the patches behind the ears, as well as those pressure point bands. She never had a problem, and we had some rough seas. Others report that Bonine (a non drowsy type of dramamine) helps, especially if you take it before you sail, and constantly take it. Ginger pills have been known to work for the nausea.

As far as rooms, I have stayed in an inside and oceanview on deck 2, two different times, both midship. I never had a problem. Some say that being able to see the horizon is good, others say no. Also, the lower you are in the ship, the better chance you have to NOT feel the movement much, versus being higher on the ship.

This year, we are going to be on Deck 7 aft, with a navigator's verandah. We will see how that is different, but it sometimes depends on your waters, and how far and fast the ship must travel.

You may feel it most on your first night, as they are traveling to CC, but probably because you are getting your sea legs (which takes me about a week to GET RID OF!). I've always noticed it the most on the first night, or if we hit some rough seas.

DisnyeDudet - I forgot all about the sealegs after the cruise - for me it was worse than on the ship. My shower at home was way rockier than the shower on the ship :funny:

NJGIRL
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Getting a room mid ship and on a higher deck will cut down on some of the motion.

It will also depend on you yourself and how your body deals with the motion.

But the thing that will effect the motion the most is the weather. If you don't hit any storms the motion of the boat is felt less. If you hit rough waters you will feel it more. You can't predict the weather you will have but one thing you can do is not to go in hurricane season because even if you don't hit a storm the waters tend to be more rough at that time.