PDA

View Full Version : Death at Richard Petty Driving Experience

Strmchsr
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

A 60-year-old man participating in the Richard Petty Driving Experience died Sunday after crashing into a retaining wall.

Robert Boswell, of Apopka, was on his fourth lap of an eight-lap session when he began driving erratically and slid down the embankment of turn No. 2, said Chris McKee, spokesman for the driving experience. Boswell struck a retaining wall.

He was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Daytona Beach Police said they received word from the medical examiner's office that Boswell died from a "medical condition." Spokesman Jimmie Flynt would not elaborate, citing medical privacy laws, and said a full autopsy report had not been completed.

Boswell's son, Greg, said they did not know what caused his father's death. The two were part of a 20-driver class, and Greg Boswell said he was scheduled to drive around the track next. The family had given Robert the driving experience package as a 60th birthday present. "He was as happy as he could be," Greg Boswell said. He called his father a wonderful man and "one of the greatest men to walk the earth."

An autopsy is scheduled to determine the cause of death. Daytona Beach Police, as part of standard procedure, impounded the 600-horsepower stock car and McKee said the organization will inspect it for any issues. He said the car did not have any signs prior of any malfunctions and he did not know whether any of the other participants had used the car earlier in the afternoon.

The Richard Petty Driving Experience is offered at several tracks across the country, including Daytona and at Walt Disney World, giving racing enthusiasts the opportunity to ride along or get behind the wheel. Ride-alongs put participants shotgun in a stock car flying more than 150 mph. Drivers can purchase a number of personal experiences, from eight laps around the track and costing $399 to the advanced racing experience for $2999.

McKee said the experience at Daytona will resume on its next scheduled date, Feb. 11.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh, how sad!

Looks like this was the one in Daytona, not at WDW.

I'll send wishes and prayers for his family.

sillyolbear
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Very sad. Prayers are with the family.

Looks like this was the one in Daytona, not at WDW.

Thanks, I didn't realize they did the program at Daytona and was trying to figure out why the Daytona Beach Police were involved.

Polynesian Dweller
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Always sad when a tourist dies having what should be just a fun experience. Its now being reported that the autopsy showed that he died of a medical condition, likely heart attack, not the crash.

splashtest
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
How horribly sad.

Piglet822
02-05-2008, 11:34 AM
It was the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Daytona Beach. I did hear on the news this morning that the gentleman suffered a heart attack.
His family will be in my prayers.

joanna71985
02-05-2008, 12:05 PM
That is so sad!:(

Prayers going out to the family.