PDA

View Full Version : CA Grill or Hoop Dee Do with DDP

bobpfef
02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
We are planning on having a day where we'll be able to have a 2 TS resturant on our upcoming trip. The last trip we did the same thing and eat at the CA Grill. It was amazing, so much so that I would like to go again. However part of me says we should try something different and Hoop Dee Do seems to be highly recommended. So what would you suggest I do, go back to CA Grill or try something new like Hoop Dee Do?

wendy*darling
02-04-2008, 04:08 PM
If you are thinking of a new adventure- then I would go with Hoop Dee Doo. It is not the fine dining experience of Cali Grill, but it is a fun evening for sure!

I have eaten at Cali Grill 3 times (2 more coming up this year) and at HDD 3 times.
You really cannot compare them at all.

CG is wonderful food, terrific view- very "nice" dining.:cloud9:

HDD is a rowdy, campy dinner show- think vaudeville with cowboy boots. Ribs and chicken in buckets, all the beer or sangria you want. I am NOT a fan of country music at all- don't worry- this is not it. This is pure fun for all ages. My kids loved it when they were 3 & 6 and also at 17 & 20. My parents adored it for their 50th wedding anniversary. It is not fine dining- but it is good food and lots of fun. :thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know... If I was using 2 TS credits, I'd consider going to the Brown Derby, Artist's Point, Narcoose's, or Flying Fish over the dinner show. Just my :twocents:

Natazu
02-04-2008, 09:26 PM
The cost analysis alone says use your credits for CG, not HDD. If you want to try the dinner show, pay out of pocket. It's a much better value. If you want to try another excellent signature restaurant, try Flying Fish, Citrico's, or Narcoossee's. :twocents:

KAT1811
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
We always find the Hoop-Dee-Doo more fun with a group. Depending on how many people you have and how receptive they are to the loud atmosphere with corny jokes will determine if it is a place for you. We have a great time when we go, actually I was in the show the last time we went (audience participation! LOL!!!) Lots of fun but completely different than the CG. If you are looking for great food I would try the CG, if you are looking for a good time I would do the HDDR. I do not think that I would pay OOP for the HDDR (we usually go during free dining and have used our TS credits). It is cute and fun but way overpriced for what you get, fried chicken and beans.

Jared
02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised at the responses so far, and, of course, I entirely agree with my good friend, Jym.

California Grill is arguably the best dining experience in Walt Disney World. It would be silly to skip it for a stupid dinner show. I admit I really did not like the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue when I tried it a few years ago, but the decision seems easy.

For two table service credits, I'd always take the classy and special meal instead of hokey comedy and mediocre fried chicken.

bobpfef
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
The cost analysis alone says use your credits for CG, not HDD. If you want to try the dinner show, pay out of pocket. It's a much better value. If you want to try another excellent signature restaurant, try Flying Fish, Citrico's, or Narcoossee's. :twocents:

I've heard that said before, but I don't understand how that works out. The price for tier 2 adult is $55, and $27 for children. With just desert and entree and drink I think I can't get that high. I get about $50 if I order the most expensive stuff on the menu. Plus HDD has the tip added in, while CA doesn't.

Costwise I don't see how CA Grill is a better use of the credits then HDD.

My issue was that the food at CA Grill was SOOOOO good :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
02-06-2008, 08:21 AM

Agreed, we pay for HDD oop and use our extra credit towards a signature meal -- did Narcoosees last trip and it was wonderful.:cloud9:

Also know that if you want to be near the stage for HDD, DDP cannot get you there, you are WAY back.

Tygger7
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Okay, I got a little creative on this one. We're going in May and I wanted to do both (and we're on the regular dining plan). Basically, I'm using the dining plan to do both HDD and Cali Grill, and am going to pay out of pocket for 2 dinners (which will both be counter service). I've never been to either, and felt like no matter which one I chose, I'd be missing out. And, if you don't mind eating late, you can get Priority 1 seating at the late HDD show.

Just some ideas if you decide to do both. :mickey:

wendy*darling
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Sometimes is NOT all about the dollars and cents- but about the experience.
And if you want to try something new and think this might be fun for YOUR family- then "just do it" and stop doing the math (my opinion).

True- HDD is not fine dining- no one said it was. Sometimes you want something different. That doesn't make it "stupid."
Let's be careful about making sure our opinions remain opinions.

While everyone may not agree- HDD is the longest running dinner show on property- people really do like this show.

Disneyatic
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I think that HDDR looks like a fun experience! We are planning on trying it on our trip this year.

Yes, the food isn't gourment but I don't think that would fit with the atmosphere of the show.

My opinion would be that if you have already tried CA Grill, why not try something different? Or, if you are that torn, DO BOTH! You could use 4 TS credits and then just eat a few more CS throughout the trip.

tjstrike
02-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Never did Cali but we loved the HDD, and yes we were in the very front with the DDP. 9:30pm show