PDA

View Full Version : I-95 Questions

goofyfan4466
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
My Family & I Are Going Back To The World In April After A 2 Year Hiatus,due To Work Injuries.we Are Suffering Serious Withdrawal,anyway We Drive From Just North Of Philadelphia.has Anybody Traveled I-95 Recently ? How Was It, ( Traffic & Weather ) ? I Know There Is A Bypass Around Jax Florida,is It Open Yet ?,how Were The Gas Prices ? Was There A Lot Of Construction ? Thanks In Advance !!!

diz_girl
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I drove down a year ago, so it's not really recent. I think that the bypass around Jacksonville was open, but I can't be sure, since we still drove through downtown because it was a Sunday.

As for gas prices. They seemed to be the cheapest in Viriginia, just north of (and maybe just south of) Richmond. The El Cheapo gas just on the GA/FL border always seems to have good prices, which will help you avoid the expensive gas station which is on I-4 at exit 118. There's a big stretch of I-4 with no exits, just after you're out of the Daytona area, and the first exit that you come to is the expensive one.

Someone else will come along and give you better advice about construction and Jacksonville.

Have a great trip in April!

wdwfansince75
02-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Wonderful site for such info....very timely, and very comprehensive info at
http://www.i95exitguide.com/alert/index.php

Depending on time of day, best bet for Jacksonville is normally to just stay on 95, all the way through. Bridge construction is due to be finished in March.

You are too far south and east for I-81 to be a better alternative than 95, so you will have to navigate the DC area.

Three potential choices to get by DC.....Outer Loop (to the West)....I-495...over Cabin John bridge, to 95 south, Inner Loop (to the East)...I-95.....over Woodrow Wilson bridge, to 95 South, or I-95 to I-295, along Anacosta River, to 95 just before Woodrow Wilson Bridge....shortest route, but roughest drive....Like the choice at the bank, the route you chose will be the longest! I usually use the outer loop. Under no circumstances should you consider 301 as an alternative.

MissT
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
We've driven many times from NH. 22-23 hours one way. We found that timing is everything. Southbound: we leave around 3pm (with the plan to drive through the night). We hit major traffic areas during the night so it's usually a quick drive through without problems. AAA has been helpful for trip-tiks. They highlight any traffic or contruction concerns that are current & give you alternate directions. They also highlight speed trap areas, not that we speed ;). It just puts a damper on Disney dollars when you have to cough up $180 for a fine when you return home. Hypothetically speaking of course. :blush: Jacksonville has never been a problem for us. Gas prices are generally less expensive in VA & GA just before crossing into FL. We've also noticed Disney gas is less expensive than outside of Disney. Have fun!