PDA

View Full Version : "Forgetting" the tip on DDP

locodemickey
02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Now that the tip has not been included for over a month on the DDP, I was wondering if there were any incidences of not leaving a tip. I was thinking that when they took the tip away that it may be a problem. I know that they probably remind you when you purchase the plan but some people may not tip as well as the 18% before or not tip at all.

VRod RS
02-03-2008, 11:04 PM
When we were just there.. All the waitstaff was ontop of reminding you about the tip and asking how you would like to pay for it. Almost to the point, that if I wanted to just leave cash, I had to make a point of telling them a few times I was leaving cash.

If you "forget" it will be on purpose.. :secret:

JPL
02-03-2008, 11:11 PM
All the waitstaff was ontop of reminding you about the tip and asking how you would like to pay for it. Almost to the point, that if I wanted to just leave cash, I had to make a point of telling them a few times I was leaving cash.

See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it :shake:

Twinsowner
02-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I agree totally!! A waiter nor anyone else in a resturaunt should ever have to "remind" someone about a tip. As far as I am concerned if they were to mention it I might not give them anything at all. We do tip appropiately at all times but I would consider someone discussing it an insult, uncomfortable , and just plain rude. Bad move disney!

DizneyRox
02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
See to me this is really bad show having a waiter reminding you to leave a tip and asking how you would like to pay for it :shake:
That in itself is grounds for me not leaving one...

Jared
02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Well said, Jeff. And Disney's supposed to hire the best professional servers around.

:shake:

Natazu
02-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Woe be unto the server that asks me how I want to pay for the tip if I didn't bring it up... like, wow.

vamaggie
02-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I would love to hear from someone on the "inside" who is or knows CMs who are waitstaff to see how tips have been running vs last year's plan w tips included. While I think most folks (at least those of us here) appreciate wait staff and tip well, I don't think we are the majority.

TBY2225
02-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I was there during MLK weekend. I overheard more than one of our wait staff said that they were being made by their managers to remind you of how the DDP works. They would say that you are entiltled to one non-alcholic beverage, one entree, and one dessert. Apps and tips are no longer included. I did not think it sounded demanding at all. They actually looked embarassed to have to say it! I did notice that our receipts had on the bottom suggested tip and then had the amount for 18% and 20% so you didn't have to figure it in your head.

xipetotec
02-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Let's not be too harsh on the servers.
The fact of the matter is that the way their system is designed, if youw ant to pay for a tip with your room card, they need to print out a second receipt ( one for the dining plan credit, and one for the tip ) and a lot of people have complained about the hassle of having to ask for that. I guess management's solution is to have the servers hassle you with the option to pay cash vs paying to your room.

It's annoying and "improper", I agree. but I don't blame the servers.

#1disneyfan
02-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Instead of the wait staff reminding you continuously to tip them, which I agree is rude, it should just be pre-printed on the bottom of the receipt. Disney should be watching this as a corporation, since they decided to remove the tipping. If someone forgets, Disney should foot the bill discretely, at least until everyone gets the hang of things. I certainly don't want to be reminded to leave a tip!

crazeedizneefinatic
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I agree not to take it out on the wait staff. They are in a awkward position. Disney themselves have put us and them in this position to pad their pockets. greedy and deceptive, if you ask me. If I was a waitress I would be worried sick someone would not know to leave a tip with the plan, lets face it, that's where they make their money. Disney put them in the position of "reminding" the customer, which is in poor taste. I feel sorry for the waiters/waitresses. It tells you right there Disney does not take too much interest in wether or not someone leaves a tip, they know they don't cover it anymore so that's all they are worried about. I agree it should be posted well in all dining correspondance from Disney via travel documents, posted on menus or printed at the bottom of receipts. Telling employees to remind patrons for a tip is awful.

DizneyRox
02-04-2008, 06:28 PM
... If someone forgets, Disney should foot the bill discretely, at least until everyone gets the hang of things. I certainly don't want to be reminded to leave a tip!
HAHA Yeah, getting money from Disney is like getting blood from a stone. It's almost a proven fact that Disney wanted the tip removed from the DDP to increase profits, they don't care about the waitstaff.

VRod RS
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Just to clarify.. when I said.. reminding you, they don't even give you a chance.. They approach you with the bill and almost to a 'T' say.. "Can you total this out for me please..", The bill then shows the total of the bill and the 18% and 20% gratuities..

Then you add your gratuity to the bill and total it. When you give it back to them, you have to tell them to put it on your room if you want that or give them a credit card. If I am leaving Cash, I had to tell them I was doing that because if they get the bill back and it hasn't had a tip put on it, they then go into their explanation about the tip and DDP.

Is it bad form? SURE it is.. But Disney put them in this position I guess.. I talked to a few servers about the changes and they really feel awkward with the whole thing and it does show how they approach you. I suspect, they will come up with a "smoother" line as things go on, but right now it as rough..

What was bad form is when someone didn't leave a tip and I saw the server coming out to try and find the person to ask if they forgot it.. That was just horrible I thought.. Other servers have just let it go and chalked it up to being stiffed..

I tried to be fair to all servers and tipped pretty good.. I paid cash for a lot of tips and also put them on the room.. The room was easier and less touchy than cash.. so I ended the trip that way.

dolphinmickey9170
02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I think on our upcoming trip, I will let the server know in the very beginning,

"yes, we are on the dining plan, I am familiar with the changes, and to put your mind at ease, I will be charging the tip to my room."

Maybe this will help? Who knows.

We only had bad service once where we never saw the waitress and we were on the plan, so she got 18% for nothing. I will still tip appropriately and sometimes even above if the server is excellent!!

ChrisF
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I will not be on DDP, how do they know that you are not on it? I will be solo and didn't fell like being told what I can or can't order like no app, or one non al. drink. :marg:
I'll be paying full fair and want to enjoy my meal?

Sounds like Disney took the fun out of eating.
:(

dolphinmickey9170
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I will not be on DDP, how do they know that you are not on it? I will be solo and didn't fell like being told what I can or can't order like no app, or one non al. drink. :marg:
I'll be paying full fair and want to enjoy my meal?

Sounds like Disney took the fun out of eating.
:(

Chris, they ask you upfront if you are on the DDP. So this way you can order whatever you like!:)

Young@Heart
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Just to clarify.. when I said.. reminding you, they don't even give you a chance.. They approach you with the bill and almost to a 'T' say.. "Can you total this out for me please..", The bill then shows the total of the bill and the 18% and 20% gratuities..

Then you add your gratuity to the bill and total it. When you give it back to them, you have to tell them to put it on your room if you want that or give them a credit card. If I am leaving Cash, I had to tell them I was doing that because if they get the bill back and it hasn't had a tip put on it, they then go into their explanation about the tip and DDP.

Is it bad form? SURE it is.. But Disney put them in this position I guess.. I talked to a few servers about the changes and they really feel awkward with the whole thing and it does show how they approach you. I suspect, they will come up with a "smoother" line as things go on, but right now it as rough..

What was bad form is when someone didn't leave a tip and I saw the server coming out to try and find the person to ask if they forgot it.. That was just horrible I thought.. Other servers have just let it go and chalked it up to being stiffed..

I tried to be fair to all servers and tipped pretty good.. I paid cash for a lot of tips and also put them on the room.. The room was easier and less touchy than cash.. so I ended the trip that way.

The bold above is in VERY BAD taste, IMO. I've only stiffed a waitress once (not at WDW, but it was while on vacation). It was the worst service I've ever had, and I not only didn't tip, but talked to the manager. She then had the nerve to ask me if I forgot to tip her! I gave her a piece of my mind. :mad:

Hearing this practice of reminding to tip is making me re-think getting the DDP. Now that the ease of having everything taken care of his gone, there's very little still attractive about the DDP. It will only save our family about $100, and w/out the plan, we'd probably eat less TS meals anyway.

I know it's not the fault of the servers. Disney put them in this position. But I bet disney creating "pushy" servers will be turning a lot of people off of the DDP.

Here we go again...
02-05-2008, 12:29 AM
We are here now and I must say this new system is confusing. Like another poster said, they bring the bill with the suggested tip and ask you to total it. I don't like this at all because they know if they are getting 15, 18 or 20% before they even run the card. If the service is bad (we had one today) and you leave 15%, you get "the look".
At buffets they show 15 and 18%. At nicer restaurants they show only 18 and 20%.

Then, when they bring the bill, it looks like you have to put the tip again and sign. But NO... this line is for an ADDITIONAL tip. However, it does not say that. Our first night I double tipped... the waiter was nice enough to tell me and explain the double copies.

This is a real pain...

Jared
02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
The new system is confusing, and I understand the servers are living off tips. Honestly, I would have no problem if at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, my server politely explained that on the 2008 Disney Dining Plan, gratuity is not included in the total bill. If it was approached tastefully and appropriately, I wouldn't find it unprofessional.

BigRedDad
02-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I for one, will not tip if asked about one. If I am asked how I want to pay for a tip, then, to me, it is assumed by the server. It may not be their fault, but it is rude to "beg" for money. I do the same when I go out locally. If I pay with a credit card and the server hovers over me to sign it, I simply put $0 in the tip and sign it. Then, I leave.

I feel sorry for anyone that has to be in this situation. They are the ones that will get shafted. What should be done is a place card on the table somewhere indicating that the tip is not included on the Dining Plan. I am not sure if they require a slip to be signed to debit a meal from the plan, but it would help, especially by indicating on the slip that the tip is not included. This gives you a chance to charge the tip back to the room and not put the server in an awkward position.

This is starting to remind me of a 3rd Rock from the Sun episode. John Lithgow is sitting at a table and puts the tip down as he sits. As the server dingles around, he takes money back from the tip until there is nothing there. The funny part is, tips used to be paid before a meal. Now, we pay at the end which leaves little incentive for good service.

laprana
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
The new system is confusing, and I understand the servers are living off tips. Honestly, I would have no problem if at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, my server politely explained that on the 2008 Disney Dining Plan, gratuity is not included in the total bill. If it was approached tastefully and appropriately, I wouldn't find it unprofessional.

I agree completely! I wouldn't mind a server saying something about it at the beginning of the meal when they ask if we're on the dining plan. Just add something about the tip no longer being included along with the spiel about what menu items are/aren't included with the DDP, what courses are inlcuded with the DDP, etc. I wouldn't find that rude at all because they're already telling you about all the other stuff involved with the DDP. But if a server came back at the end of the meal and said "How would you like to pay for the tip?" I think I would be tempted to say, "I wouldn't." I sure hope they get this smoothed out a bit by May!

ljv1975
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I worked as a server in college and DH is a chef, so we usually tip 20% at a minimum - more for really good service. However, I have left less when the service has been absolutely horrible. I will admit that I did stiff a waitress at Denny's once, but that was absolutely deserved, trust me! It was also the only time in my life I never left a tip at all.

I think I will just say that I am going to leave a cash tip if/when the subject comes up. When the slip is brought, I will write "cash" on the tip line and leave a cash tip on the table when we leave. I must say that if any server outright asks for a tip or implies a certain percentage, I will be very unhappy and uncomfortable!

Jared
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I agree completely! I wouldn't mind a server saying something about it at the beginning of the meal when they ask if we're on the dining plan. Just add something about the tip no longer being included along with the spiel about what menu items are/aren't included with the DDP, what courses are inlcuded with the DDP, etc. I wouldn't find that rude at all because they're already telling you about all the other stuff involved with the DDP. But if a server came back at the end of the meal and said "How would you like to pay for the tip?" I think I would be tempted to say, "I wouldn't." I sure hope they get this smoothed out a bit by May!
Exactly! The Disney Dining Plan is confusing, so it wouldn't be strange for a server to simply explain exactly what is included.

Young@Heart
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I think I will just say that I am going to leave a cash tip if/when the subject comes up. When the slip is brought, I will write "cash" on the tip line and leave a cash tip on the table when we leave.

I really like this idea. I re-did our dining budget last night, and the dining plan actually will still save us money this year, so I guess we're gonna stick w/ it. I'm disappointed that some of the ease of using the DDP is now gone, and I hope servers become a little more "polite" with the tip reminder before we go in August.

Disneyatic
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with Jared that I wouldn't be offended by an explantion including the tip info before the meal.
I also think that having cards on the table offering the new dining information is a great idea.

Am I understanding correctly what some people have said that when you are brought your bill now there is a suggested tip amount printed on the receipt?
WHAT?? That is rude, presumptuous and insulting to:
#1 suggest that I can't figure 20% of my bill
and
#2 assume that I am going to tip on of the suggested percentages

I haven't been overly concerned with the tip changes, I am not a stingy tipper, I actually tend to over tip, but "suggesting" a tip amount just seems so rude.

MickeyChick
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
A lot of restaurants print the suggested tips on the receipts. That didn't bother me at all. Neither did servers who asked me at the beginning of the meal if I was on the dining plan and then explaining to me how it works.

I avoided the awkwardness of how to tip by always ordering something over the DDP, like an adult beverage or an appetizer. Then it was no problem to hand the server my Key, get a receipt, fill in my tip amount and leave.

DizneyRox
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I avoided the awkwardness of how to tip by always ordering something over the DDP, like an adult beverage or an appetizer. Then it was no problem to hand the server my Key, get a receipt, fill in my tip amount and leave.Which would be considered an upsell, and Disney likes that! CHA-CHING!

Jared
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
A lot of restaurants print the suggested tips on the receipts. That didn't bother me at all. Neither did servers who asked me at the beginning of the meal if I was on the dining plan and then explaining to me how it works.
Ruby Tuesday and other basic chain restaurants print suggest tips on the bottom of the bill, and I have absolutely no problem with that practice. It's easier than trying to calculate 15 percent in my head or with my cell phone calculator.

:tasty:

tarzan_rocks
02-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a couple different angles to consider. Have we lost sight of the fact that the change in the Disney Dining Plan gratuity policy was a result of a contractual agreement between Disney and the Service Trades Council Union and not a unilateral decision by Disney brass? I don't wish for anyone to be stiffed on a tip, but if someone happens to forget or someone else doesn't like being asked for a tip...well they made their beds.

Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining? I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.

tr

minnie2002
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I am stunned to see that they are reminding people to tip. When I booked my trip for August and purchased the plan he was very clear the tip was no longer included.(The CSR did "forget" to tell me that the appetizer was no longer included) I asked him why and he didn't have an answer. I then proceeded to ask if it had to do with complaints from DDP customers that the service was poor. The last few trips we have had with the DDP the service was poor. I told him that I hoped this would improve the service at various restaurants. It's nice to get a refill once and awhile.They didn't seem to work as hard since the tip was already included. I am more then happy to tip great when the service is great. I like the freedom though to decide what I want to tip or if I want to tip. Don't get me wrong there has been one time where the service was terrible and we didn't tip. But normally we are great tippers. I am just worried about my DH. He gets easily upset with service issues and the reminding thing would drive him crazy where the tip would really suffer. All wait staff is different and things will get better if people voice their concerns to management.

TheRustyScupper
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM

1) Agreed.
2) Terribly "bad show".
3) What is next ???
. . . "if I serve better, how much tip will your leave"
. . . "if you commit to a tip percentage, I can establish my service level"

DizneyRox
02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining?
I'm curious if it was billed as FREE DINING or FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN. The words used are important and to me, if it was billed as FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN, then you are bound to the rules of the plan, which are gratuity is NOT included now. FREE DINING though I would see as free eats as you describe. I'm guesisng that Disney was smart enough to include those final two words which makes a world of difference. Woding on all literature/promotions is ALWAYS run through legal before it is used. The Internet community may refer to it as FREE DINING, but I'd be surprised if Disney did so.

I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.
tr
I feel bad for your servers if they are not getting a tip. I'm very much against a predetermined percentage automatically being added to a bill as gratuity, but I understand that gratuity is expected when an acceptable level of service is provided. If it's not included, then it's up to me. If it IS included, then I've already paid or it. In 2008, it's not included and therefore becomes my responsibility to tip appropriately.

And yes, it's POSSIBLE that I leave no tip, but that is based on the level of service. Poor service means poor tip. Acceptable service gets an acceptable tip.

tjstrike
02-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Why do the Disney waiters / waitresses think they are any better than non-Disney waiters / waitresses who actually have to earn their tip ? I understand that they've been spoiled all these years but if you give good service, you get a good tip. Everybody has already been reminded by Disney when you get the DDP that the tip is not included !! About 5 times already.

elmjimmlm
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I was a bartender/wait and I cant imagine asking how a customer would like to pay for their tip...I just wonder if the managers of these restaurants know that they are doing this...I would hope that this will be addressed in each restaurant...There are ways to let the customer know that tip is not included with the DDP...Dont you think that it is on the receipt? If not then maybe there should be reminders in each place and on the receipt...Just until everyone gets the idea...Thats my opinion...

dac921
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
That is just WRONG.. the waitstaff remind you that tips are not included with your DDP... what if meal and service were so bad you feel a tip isn't deserved. I have had bad service in WDW but using the DDP the tip was already included so I blew it off, but next year when we go if I have bad service, do I call over the manager and complain about it, I myself will cut the tip from 18% to 10 even 5 % for bad service.

Mikey Piano 23
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I dont know about you but I dont ever feel pressured to leave a tip. If I get good service then I usually leave a very generous tip...however if I do not get good service I certainly do not feel pressured to do so. Actually at Le Cellier I didnt feel like received really great service so I think I only left her a couple bucks. Being from NYC we get our share of good and bad service...being at Disney good service is expected if not required.

FutureCorpsFan
02-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure we are done with the DDP. Since the plans inception we are finding that it's not worth the time you spend trying to get food, in restaurants you can't reservations for anyhow. So you struggle to try and get TS reservations to burn credits and if you can, they are at inconvenient times. On our last trip in December, the meal times were ranging between 1.5 to 3 hours to get served a TS. The 1.5 was the exception Most were in the 2-3 hour range for 6 people and two kids. That's time your not spending doing other things. Since most people can eat in less than a half-hour, that's a lot of time waisted. Plus in order to get the value out of the plan, you feel like you day is planned around where you could get reservations that day.

Also, my brother and I have both noticed a decline in food quality in the past 7 years. We've been going regularly since 2000 and we both have felt like the quality of the food has changed considerabily in that time. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not the premier dining experiences we can remember from our early trips..

vamaggie
02-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I have a couple different angles to consider. Have we lost sight of the fact that the change in the Disney Dining Plan gratuity policy was a result of a contractual agreement between Disney and the Service Trades Council Union and not a unilateral decision by Disney brass? I don't wish for anyone to be stiffed on a tip, but if someone happens to forget or someone else doesn't like being asked for a tip...well they made their beds.
tr

I thought I had read that this was not part of the new contract and that the union was not in support of taking away the tip on the plan. Can someone clarify (if only for my piece of mind)?

DizneyRox
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Also, my brother and I have both noticed a decline in food quality in the past 7 years. We've been going regularly since 2000 and we both have felt like the quality of the food has changed considerabily in that time. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not the premier dining experiences we can remember from our early trips..
You got that right! There has been a huge difference in the quality and selection available at table service locations. What bugs me the most if that the menu is the same if you are paying cash or credits, so we all lose because of the dining plan.

WDWRox
02-09-2008, 08:02 AM
So, unless you're have 6 in your party when you go to a table-service restaurant, the tip could be an issue when you get ready to leave. Fortunately for me, my wife, and my family (about 11 of us in total for our planned trip in Sept), the times that we do eat a sit-down meal, the tip will already be included. Whenever we don't eat at one of those places, we tend to do the quick service spots like Roaring Forks or Cosmic Ray's pretty often.

grumpyguy
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
i can understand how removing the tip from the ddp has confused things.by having the tip included this meant i had to carry zero cash in the parks,major convience #1.my key to the world card and velcro pockets and i'm off and rockin.
plus,isn't a tip "earned"?where else is the potential for a hard working ,pleasant waiter or waitress better than wdw?ALL of your customers are on vacation at disney for crying out loud and generally in a good mood.
$$cha-ching$$.i love to be served pleasantly and show our appreciation for adding to our vacation happiness by tipping proportionatly.
don't ask for a tip,earn it.but that's just me.
my wife get's uncomfortable because i do scale back on the tip at the buffet's.
the changes have us debating on doing the ddp this year or not,jury is still out.

Polynesian Dweller
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
That's my feeling as well. In the first year of a change from tip being included to no tip included (won't even go into the confusion of it is for some) a polite reminder of the change is not inappropriate.

The key is polite. When they ask you if you are on the DDP then it would be Ok to ask if you are aware of the changes in the plan. If you are, then they can stop at that point, if not then its just an explanation and good to know. I would be fine with that.

luvdiznee
02-11-2008, 07:33 AM
That in itself is grounds for me not leaving one...

Agree. When I go to restaurants here at home, they never ask how are you going to be tipping me. Seems like Disney needs to come up with a better form. Rather than a question, how about a statement towards the END of the meal. Just a suggestion. And my $.02 :mickey:

Jillirose
02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
When I waited tables, we got $2.60 and hour and absolutely counted on the tips! Because this is a new policy, I think it is fair for them to remind patrons, but maybe there needs to be a better way, like in bold on the bill. I would never not tip a server who did their job.

NJ Camper
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
First welcome WDWROX to intercot
I agree with some of the above I also tip according to where I eat at a buffet where I'm getting mt food and they are mostly getting drinks and clearing table I generally tip less if they are doing it all and i'm just sitting and eating I tip more my thought if you work more you get more and if you are pleasant and with in reason propt with service ( depending on how busy of course) I feel you get more just my 2 cents

Mom2princesses
02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I also agree with this point. The food has definitely gone down the past few years. It is a shame. While the food was not awful in most places it just was not the same. My DH was not happy with the way the food has declined while the cost has gone up.

Marker
02-11-2008, 11:27 AM
When I waited tables, we got $2.60 and hour and absolutely counted on the tips! Because this is a new policy, I think it is fair for them to remind patrons, but maybe there needs to be a better way, like in bold on the bill. I would never not tip a server who did their job.

In my opinion, not only is it fair for the server to remind patrons, I think they'd be crazy not to. Sure, everyone responding here is aware of the new system, but I'd wager that a large percentage of the crowd is less familiar. Some no doubt would still believe the tip was include if not specifically reminded.

I know I'm in a very small minority here, but honestly I think a lot of folks are making mountains out of mole hills about this. I just don't see it as such a big deal as everyone seems to be making it, but then I'm not afraid to talk to the servers, or offended by having them talk to me. Maybe it's just about attitude.

Sure, the new system may not be the best, but they have to work within it. What choice do they have. And we all know what it is going in, so why are we so shocked by it. If you weren't on the DDP, and the server asked if you were charging your meal to your room, or using a credit card, or whatever, that wouldn't be a problem, you'd be expecting it. Likewise, before on the previous version of the DDP, if you bought drinks with you meal, or anything extra, they'd ask those questions, and it was no big deal. Well as it is now the tip is not included, so what choice do they really have but to ask how you want it handled. Would you rather they just assume? Maybe they could hire psychics as servers and could simply read your mind.

And then, for anyone to use that as a reason (or probably more like an excuse) to not tip at all, is just plain wrong. It's just in very bad taste, and to me totally not justified. Even if you insist on faulting the server for how this new system is implemented and consider their remind you to be bad behavior, well bad behavior does not justify more bad behavior on our part.

But that's just my opinion, and I know I'm in the minority on this.

TheDuckRocks
02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Belive me they are not going to "forget" to remind you about the changes in tipping. With both our waitress at Ohana and Boma they took it to such a level that I'd call it out and out begging. As we were a party of 6 the 18% was a given and many times we left extra cash along with the 18% that we put on your room change. But no way was I going to give one cent more for these 2 who 3 times each told us that the 18% was just a suggested amount and that any amount over that could be left. And the first time we were so informed was before they even took drink orders when they asked if we were using any kind of dining plan and could they look at our room key to see which plan it was. I couldn't quite figure that out as there is a flat fee for dining at both of these places.:confused:

SurferStitch
02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Marker, I have to agree with you 100% on this issue.

I would NEVER....I mean NEVER NOT tip a server just because he/she "reminded" me or asked how I would like to pay the tip. NEVER.

I'm sure if the servers weren't getting stiffed by those who "forget" the tip, they wouldn't feel a need to remind people. And, if it's coming from management to do so, then by all means, remind me. No problem. It's really no big deal....at all.

We have the DDE, so we don't have to worry about tips anymore...they're included. :thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
When WDW restaurants "kindly" calculate suggested gratuities what are they calculating on? The menu price of DDP items + all taxes is quite a chunk of money considering all of the taxes in play at WDW.

I think when tipping at WDW, guests should ask themselves question #3 - not just questions 1 & 2:
1. Do I love Mickey?
2. Am I glad to be on vacation?
3. Did I just get good service?

I hope the server union that lobbied for this change gets a chance to regret it...

kai2234
04-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't mean to "resurrect" an older post, but I just wanted to give my two cents as a former WDW server.

When I worked as a server at Disney (still work for the Company, just not doing that) about two years ago, we had mandated "spiels" that we were required to say at each table. Most were drawn out and ineffective (like having to "tour" the menu for the guests, ugh). From what I've heard this is also the case with letting guests know about the lack of added grautity with the DDP. So please, by all means, don't take it out on the waitstraff--it's probably not their choice to say so.

Honestly many servers became somewhat lazy when they knew they were getting an added tip already, and many didn't like getting the DDP tips in their paycheck rather than cash, so I don't see it as a loss all around.

I do think, however, that it's awkward to have to run someone's credit card for a tip, then give them back the sheet to sign...how weird for both parties.

Maleficent's Dad
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Also, does anyone feel any different about the situation when it comes to free dining? I won't feel obligated to tip when I go in September. They enticed me back with the promise of free dining. I expect it to truly be free. If I feel the service merits a little extra something then I will acknowledge accordingly with a voluntary gratuity.

tr

I'm curious if it was billed as FREE DINING or FREE DISNEY DINING PLAN.
The quote, directly from the Disney Visa email:

FREE Disney Dining Plan with the purchase of this Magic Your Way Vacation package.
<snip> ...Excludes gratuities and alcoholic beverages.
So I'm guessing they "covered themselves" on that point.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Honestly many servers became somewhat lazy when they knew they were getting an added tip already, and many didn't like getting the DDP tips in their paycheck rather than cash, so I don't see it as a loss all around.

I've only used the DDP once and actually never had a problem with service. I found the service to actually be better. Our servers were very helpful and friendly.

I can see the issue with it being included in your paycheck. It's nice to leave at the end of your shift with the cash and if it's included in your paycheck.....you're paying taxes on all of that. There is no cheating the system that way.

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
All communication about the the August promotion includes "gratuity not included" and goes so far as to specify gratuity and appetizer not included.

So anyone who think "Free" means they don't have to tip is only looking for an excuse not to.

(Besides, does anyone really think anything at Walt Disney World is free?)

cal5755
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I have to stay away from this topic because as a waitress I get so mad hearing all the excuses people have for not leaving a tip. 90 percent of the excuses have nothing at all to do with service provided by the waitstaff. The fact that WDW are asking how you want to pay for the tip is not to be RUDE...if the only thing that is being paid for IS the tip they have to know if it is cash or if they need you to sign a slip when added to the roomkey so they are making less trips to the table....and if they don't ask and you decide to put it on the roomkey and the waitperson has to make another trip to get a slip for the tip I hope the tip is even more than the suggested 18 percent.

If you dont like tipping.. have a problem with tipping or how tips are handled the simple solution is do not eat at restaurants that require you to leave one.

Just a little note too... I clean up twice as many plates when I wait on my buffet tables than I do when I wait on my menu order tables. So leaving less on buffets just totally MAKES ME CRAZY. Not only do I clean off more plates...more of the plates have food I have to scrape off and I make far more trips to the table to clear those plates because dad eats faster than mom who eats slower than ds but faster than dd so I am clearing more plates at various times rather than all dinner plates at once (because most people dont order dessert AND appetizers off the menu... less plates and far less visits to the tables.)

Just 2 cents from a waitress who is fed up with the decline in proper tips due to the stress of the economy..... if you want to save a buck don't do it at the expense of waitstaff.. go to the dollar menu instead because we need to fill our gas tanks and buy a gallon of milk too!!

cal5755
04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
So much for staying away from this topic huh LOL... Sorry :blush:

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
...do not eat at restaurants that require you to leave one...

... I clean up twice as many plates when I wait on my buffet tables...

1. I didn't realize tips were required.

2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18% when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

When I go out, I budget to tip (always in cash) and enjoy being generous. I like leaving a restaurant where I had great service and just tipped enough to have the server chase me outside to thank me...but nowadays more often than not, I get a surely waiter who hates her/his job and the customers and is counting down the days 'til s/he can move on to her/his "real" job and thinks the customers should all go eat at the dollar menu place.

That's a guest's 2 cents worth.

meldan98
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
How does this affect the Premium and Platinum dining plans? In years past (2000) when we went on the Grand Plan (which I think is now called the Platinum plan) we could pick what every table service place we wanted and it was included. Do the credits and limitations to bev, entree and desserts as wells as the tip to those Premium and Platinum plans? Are the credits handled the same way meaning 1 credit for TS/2 credits for Character dining, etc? We loved being able to eat whereever we wanted and to not have to worry about a thing.

It was our honeymoon so we splurged, not that we plan on doing that type of extravigant trip again, but I'm just curious.

DANAM
04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
We plan to leave cash tips. This is something I have always done and normally we write cash in the tip line and total it out at the bottom. Is this possible to do this, that way the waiter(ess) gets the hint and there is no uncomfortable where's my tip?

Mickey91
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
1. I didn't realize tips were required.

2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18&#37; when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

When I go out, I budget to tip (always in cash) and enjoy being generous. I like leaving a restaurant where I had great service and just tipped enough to have the server chase me outside to thank me...but nowadays more often than not, I get a surely waiter who hates her/his job and the customers and is counting down the days 'til s/he can move on to her/his "real" job and thinks the customers should all go eat at the dollar menu place.

That's a guest's 2 cents worth.

I totally agree! Too many waitresses and waiters feel that their tip is a given. I have a major problem not leaving a tip. But, there have been instances when I have left a dollar and a "tip" telling them how they could have had a 20% tip. Good service gets a good tip. We have been treated poorly at some restaurants because we have our children with us, who behave better than a lot of adults nowadays. We are given service to coincide with what the waitstaff THOUGHT our tip would be. Turns out they are usually right or disappointed as I tip solely based on service. So, for all you waiters and waitresses out there, I will tell you. Your tip starts at 20% with me. If you go beyond what I think any waitstaff should go, I may give more. But, if you ignore me, are rude to me, or act like I am bothering you because I sat in your section, or, and this is a biggy, neglect my beverage glass, you may be the next recipient of a dollar and a "tip"!:rant:

Mickey91
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18% when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

And, most of these places have table bussers. So...

em-n-mia's-mommy
04-17-2008, 12:13 AM
I used to work in the service industry and it is horrible taste to remind patrons of a tip. This is my policy anywhere i go: bad service= no tip, reminding me of giving a tip= no tip, and I only tip at the most 15%. People tend to forget that tips are optional and based on the service given. I think if more servers understood that concept...servers would be really great! JMO though.

bobpfef
04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I used to work in the service industry and it is horrible taste to remind patrons of a tip. This is my policy anywhere i go: bad service= no tip, reminding me of giving a tip= no tip, and I only tip at the most 15%. People tend to forget that tips are optional and based on the service given. I think if more servers understood that concept...servers would be really great! JMO though.

I completely agree. If tips are REQUIRED that should be clearly stated on the menu. I think tipping has gotten way out of had (used to be 12%, then 15%, then 18%, now 20%??) and most servers just expect it for not doing anything other the bare mininum.

And yes, I've worked in resturants for many years and my wife still does (and has for 15 years).

DsnyFan4ever
04-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I conviently forgot to leave a tip-- or at least the standard 18% for the already OVER priced BUFFETS where they only served drinks to you, and nothing more. I dont think they should have to pay the 18% if i do all the work getting my food-- plates, etc.
I would leave a less tip-- like for a buffet at 30.00pp, and kids at 15.00pp, for my total bill of 75.00 for a buffet-- i would leave more like 10 %-- like a $7 tip! I dont think thats awful! I think its reasonable since they are already over priced! :mad:

Ian
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd be hesitant to skip a tip simply because a server (who is probably required to do so) asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I just don't see any way around it for the servers ... management could fix it, yes, but the servers are sort of stuck.

I'm not going to allow myself to fall into the trap of blaming underpaid, overworked waitstaff for what is nothing more than another horrible decision by WDW management.

What I plan on doing is apologizing to the servers for their having to feel uncomfortable about the tip, tipping them generously (if service warrants it, of course) and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me. :mad:

No, it wasn't their decision, but management in any organization is a conduit to the senior executives. That's part of their role and they're just going to have to deal with it.

thrillme
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I conviently forgot to leave a tip-- or at least the standard 18% for the already OVER priced BUFFETS where they only served drinks to you, and nothing more. I dont think they should have to pay the 18% if i do all the work getting my food-- plates, etc.
I would leave a less tip-- like for a buffet at 30.00pp, and kids at 15.00pp, for my total bill of 75.00 for a buffet-- i would leave more like 10 %-- like a $7 tip! I dont think thats awful! I think its reasonable since they are already over priced! :mad:

This one sorta bugs me too. They take a "drink order" and then once they bring the drinks they disappear. If I want more to drink I have to repeatedly ASK. They "might" take plates away after a while. And they expect almost $14 for ME doing the work?

SurferStitch
04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised to see so many complaints about the service at buffets. :confused:

I can't ever remember returning to my table after getting more food to see ANY plates still sitting there. And, I don't remember ever needing to ask for a refill...normally they're refilling the glass when it's still half full (I'm a glass half full kind of person, not half empty :blush:).

With our DDE, I'm really glad that the 18&#37; gratuity is now included. Will save us some money since we always tip 20-25% anyway. I have absolutely no problem tipping 18% at the buffets since the servers most likely have to share their tips with the bussers. Besides....if I can't afford a few extra % tip, then I shouldn't be shelling out several thousand for a trip to WDW.

Seasonscraps
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm surprised to see so many complaints about the service at buffets. :confused:

I can't ever remember returning to my table after getting more food to see ANY plates still sitting there. And, I don't remember ever needing to ask for a refill...normally they're refilling the glass when it's still half full (I'm a glass half full kind of person, not half empty :blush:).

SurferStitch, I am with you on the service at buffets. Drinks were always refilled quickly and plates were cleared right away. I figure buffets are a great value - for about the price of an entree at a sit down restaurant - I get a huge variety of food that would be both unrealistic and incredibly expensive at a TS restaurant.

I haven't been to WDW since the new DDP was put in place so I can't comment on that other then it sounds like an akward exchange all around. Regardless, I wouldn't not tip unless I had horrific service but I don't let it get to the point. I'll ask the server what's going on or go to the manager if there's a bigger issue.

brad192
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

gra·tu·ity
Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural gra·tu·ities : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
Note the words voluntarily or beyond obligation. Nobody is ever required to leave a tip, but it's good form. ;)

My last trip to WDW I had the old DDP with 18% already included. Overall, I received good, if not excellent, service. When a waitperson went above & beyond, I left more. It all worked well, but if I had received poor service I would have had to make an issue out of it with the restaurant manager. With the "improved" DDP, it simplifies things for me - the waitperson will get exactly what they deserve.

As for the awkwardness about reminding patrons that tips are no longer included, the servers are really stuck in a bad place with this. Disney should rethink how they address this & fix it. I also agree that a polite, up front explanation from the server is the best way to go.

And lastly, for those of you on the DDE with the tip included, that 18% isn't a tip - it's a surcharge.:rant:

SBETigg
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not even able to imagine anyone "forgetting" a tip. I know there has been a change in the dining plan, but that has been made perfectly clear. If you buy the dining plan and don't know what's included, you're being foolish, even if you have bought it before because things change and that change has been highly publicized. There's really just no excuse for forgetting, to me, unless it's done on purpose. Am I being too harsh? Maybe. The servers shouldn't have to remind people.

Lizzie
04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
We went last September and had the Dinnning Plan for free and loved it. We were planning on paying for it in the future just because we enjoyed it and its great for budgiting your trip. But now with tip extra I am not so sure. Will have to think about it.

Brainiak5
04-19-2008, 08:40 PM
the disney corporation has put their folks in an awkward spot. they shouldn't have to tell people about the tipping policy. i like the idea of the percentages being printed out. i'm an overtipper usually and very generous if the service is exemplary.

if the service is subpar or we seem to be a "bother" to the server, i will reduce or eliminate the tip. it has never happened to us at disney though , in fact, i budget extra for tips at disney because i usually come away with at least one dazzling display of service during our vacation there.

with the change in the dining plan i probably would be a little taken aback if the server starting talking about the tip before the meal happened. it sounds like a conversation that should take place discreetly at the time the check is brought over. something like "if you have found my service to be exemplary and you wish to include a tip..." would be hard to find fault with as i was being presented with the bill. just a thought...:mickey:

Natazu
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I'd be hesitant to skip a tip simply because a server (who is probably required to do so) asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I just don't see any way around it for the servers ... management could fix it, yes, but the servers are sort of stuck.

I'm not going to allow myself to fall into the trap of blaming underpaid, overworked waitstaff for what is nothing more than another horrible decision by WDW management.

What I plan on doing is apologizing to the servers for their having to feel uncomfortable about the tip, tipping them generously (if service warrants it, of course) and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me. :mad:

No, it wasn't their decision, but management in any organization is a conduit to the senior executives. That's part of their role and they're just going to have to deal with it.
Well said Ian. Truth is, I tip really well as long as they don't make me park my Segway too far from the table. ;)

Young@Heart
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm not even able to imagine anyone "forgetting" a tip. I know there has been a change in the dining plan, but that has been made perfectly clear. If you buy the dining plan and don't know what's included, you're being foolish, even if you have bought it before because things change and that change has been highly publicized. There's really just no excuse for forgetting, to me, unless it's done on purpose. Am I being too harsh? Maybe. The servers shouldn't have to remind people.

I think that's the problem: the servers don't HAVE to remind people to leave a tip-from what I've heard about the new DDP, they're reminding people before they even order. Long before a tip is even an issue. This will irritate me, esp. since I don't need to be reminded to leave a tip. ;)

thatkindofday
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I think I'm in the minority here, but I have no problem with the explanation of the changes to the DDP. Even if they mention that tip is no longer included. That doesn't bother me at all. I think I'd be uncomfortable if they came back and asked how I'd like to pay for tip and having them know how much ahead of time how much I'm paying. My way around that? Write cash on the tip line and leave cash before I leave. I've only not tipped once (thoughI did tell the waitress where she could put the toast that she never brought me that I waited almost thirty minutes for) and I generally over-tip. (I've left almost a 50% tip before, but the waitress was AWESOME!!) I don't think this is a big issue as long as it's approached tastefully.

SurferStitch
04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
And lastly, for those of you on the DDE with the tip included, that 18% isn't a tip - it's a surcharge.:rant:

Yup....and it's gonna save me money!

kai2234
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I think that's the problem: the servers don't HAVE to remind people to leave a tip-from what I've heard about the new DDP, they're reminding people before they even order. Long before a tip is even an issue. This will irritate me, esp. since I don't need to be reminded to leave a tip. ;)
Of course, and I agree. Just (and the reason I broke a 2 year hiatus on this site to post about it) realize that when I was a server at Disney, management was VERY strict on having each server be consistent on what he/she says - so the tip "reminder" probably isn't the server's choice. Please don't not tip or tip less for that reason alone.

letsdoitagain
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
The whole point of a tip is to reward a job well done in my opinion. I think people should tip according to what they are comfortable with and not feel locked into a certain percentage. Ask me about leaving a tip and that percentage drops. Bad service get a big goose egg from me! 0%:mad:

mickeysmouse
04-30-2008, 03:00 AM
will never do the dining plan again, its costing us $20 per sit down for 2 adults and $10 for buffets, with NO APPS, this is ridiculous. we were stuck with it because we previously had a dec trip planned but had to change dates last minute. I am so angry about this new plan I could scream (and have). Like we need the desserts?!?!!?!??!?1 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Marker
04-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Just curious, the $20 per meal that the new DDP is costing you must be more than tip. At 18% a $20 tip would result from a $111 meal, or $55.55 each. I'm sure it can be done, but that even seems high at Disney prices.

I'm guessing part of that tab may be from appetizers (optional) or drinks (optional).

I do feel your pain, I'd much rather have an appetizer than dessert. Under normal circumstances I'm much more likely to order a salad or a cup of soup than any dessert they have to offer. Although I expect there are plenty of folks who would much rather have the dessert and could not care less about the appetizer.

I know what the deal is going in. I know if I order soup I'm going to have to pay for it. Disappointed sure, but not mad. I know what to expect, it's no surprise, and for me it's just not worth getting "so angry" over. But that's just me.

Under normal circumstances the Dining Plan is an option and I'm fully aware of how it works before I make my decision whether to use it or not. I am using it in September because it's free. I did not use it in April. My choice to not use it was partly based on the fact that we were only staying 2 nights, and I was using some old (non-expired) park tickets, but partly because we decided to save the $$ and eat mostly counter service.

TheRustyScupper
04-30-2008, 08:50 AM

1) The instant that a server mentions a tip, their gratuity becomes zero.
2) I won't be "reminded" or begged to leave a tip.
3) When I leave, I do comment to the manager why there was no tip.
4) I wouldn't want the server to think I am cheap.
5) But, I want the server to know I am irritated.

prprincess
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
We plan to leave cash tips. This is something I have always done and normally we write cash in the tip line and total it out at the bottom. Is this possible to do this, that way the waiter(ess) gets the hint and there is no uncomfortable where's my tip?That's how we did things all last week and it worked out fine. In fact, we only bought cash with us (we rarely carry it) because we purchased the DDP and knew we'd need it for the tips, since they aren't included. The servers actually seemed grateful that we did it that way.

But I have to add, the service that we got from the servers this time around was much better than when the tip was included in the plan.

SurferStitch
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
1) The instant that a server mentions a tip, their gratuity becomes zero.
2) I won't be "reminded" or begged to leave a tip.
3) When I leave, I do comment to the manager why there was no tip.
4) I wouldn't want the server to think I am cheap.
5) But, I want the server to know I am irritated.

So, you'll punish the server for doing what they are told to do (by mentioning the tipping situation) by giving them nothing for possibly fantastic service, all because you're irritated? Voice your displeasure with management over the ENTIRE dining plan issue, sure.....but don't shoot the messenger.

I just can't get my pants in a bunch over something as minor as this...guess I'm just very easy going.

KSS
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I am ok with paying a tip and I don't really mind a reminder that it is no longer included. What bothers me is that because we are a family of 6 (mom,dad,4 kids) we are automatically charged 18&#37;. Because we have 4 kids we no longer have the option of the amount of the tip being "voluntary". Sure they will accept more but in order to go lower in the event we are not happy with service then it has to involve management. I think that is wrong. Also on our next trip, we are going in sept with free dining plan... Assuming we order no extra's we will be brought a bill at the end of our meal for the automatic 18% gratuity??!! Seems tacky to me.
I am happy to tip well for good service but do not like being forced to tip well for less then good service.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me. :mad:

I agree! We'll be doing the DDPD in Oct. I plan on letting Disney know that I'm very unhappy about the inconvenience of the tip not being included.

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

gra·tu·ity
Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural gra·tu·ities : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
Note the words voluntarily or beyond obligation. Nobody is ever required to leave a tip, but it's good form. ;)

The issue with the tipping is that it no longer works they way it did back in the day.

TIPS mean To Insure Prompt Service. It used to be payed at the beginning of the meal to guarantee that your drinks would be refilled and that your food would be served promptly.

will never do the dining plan again, its costing us $20 per sit down for 2 adults and $10 for buffets, with NO APPS, this is ridiculous. we were stuck with it because we previously had a dec trip planned but had to change dates last minute. I am so angry about this new plan I could scream (and have). Like we need the desserts?!?!!?!??!?1 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Disney is making a killing by having altered the plan. For $1 less you have to pay the tip (roughly $20 for 2 adults) and you don't get an appetizer (about $10). So you don't save what you used to.

I really hope enough people complain that Disney adds them back in.

little disney lovers
05-10-2008, 07:44 AM
We don' tip in Australia. It's not how things work over here. Our waiters and waitresses are paid appropriately, Like a similar rate to retail staff. So the only time we would leave $10-$20 would be if they have done something outstanding, Like made a big deal out of a birthday, Or given us a spetacular table. It's NEVER expected, and very rare.
Sooo, For people from Australia and other non-tipping countries it's very confusing. We had to learn who to tip, how much, It seems to be different amounts for cab's, restaurants, buffets, porters, concierge???? We have been to America 3 times in the last 4 years and it still confuses us and I'm sure costs us much more money than neccesary!
Soooo, the suggested tip on the reciepts is great for us...
But... I do not want to be reminded by my waiter, It is uncomfortable and rude!

Mrs Bus Driver
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM
After reading all these posts I think it is best to just bring cash for the tips. I did a little math and figured out the average cost for a meal (not to difficult if you have spent any time looking over menus while planing your trip) and then the 18% for the tip. Then I threw in a little extra just in case. For the 2 of us I need only to bring around $100 for 6 nights. That really isn't so bad if you think about it. I know it costs more for bigger families but then you wanted to have kids right? Trips to WDW cost money, you plan for it so you can enjoy it without worrying about the cost. If you think it costs too much don't go there. If enough people stay away Disney will lower the cost. I really don't understand why everyone is so upset about this:confused:. Just my :twocents:

bigbabyblues
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
We'll probably be bringing cash to use for tips on our upcoming trip, and I'm going to tell the server up front that I know the ddp does not include a tip. We'll tip according to service.

The server we had (or didn't have?) at Mama Melroses would not get a tip, or more likely would get a token to assure him that I did not forget to tip him, and I would not have to involve the manager this time. He took our orders, brought our drinks and spent the next hour and a half talking to two tables full of girls that were in our section. We grabbed another server to refill our drinks and someone else brought our food. Our original server brought the bill.

I understand that the servers rely on tips to supplement their income, and that's fine, but if they can't be bothered to do their job, they aren't getting a tip from me.

Kenny1113
05-10-2008, 09:44 PM
The server we had (or didn't have?) at Mama Melroses would not get a tip, or more likely would get a token to assure him that I did not forget to tip him, and I would not have to involve the manager this time.

IMHO You should either speak to the server or the manager in a matter of fact way about his actions. Having been a server before (hopefully never that bad ) and working "in the biz" ( resturant business), the server will just blame you for being a lousy tipper. :twocents:

Kidsmom
05-12-2008, 12:07 AM
A story in reference to the above posters:

Once when we had horrible service when we lived in San Diego, my husband brought the check up to the waiter while he was at another table and told him, "Your tip is a reflection of your service....not my wallet." --Best line EVER!

He then went to the manager and told him exactly what was wrong with the service (horrible...but I won't go into it). The manager tried to look at our bill (in 1990, it was over $150 for two 20- somethings), but my husband said, "NO...I don't want you to financially make up for it....just know how bad your waiter is...we won't be back for a long time."

I really felt that made a big difference for the waiter and the manager.

Just a funny story relating to tipping...and yes my husband and I both waited tables in college!

princessjojo
05-12-2008, 10:13 AM
We are doing the DDP during our trip this June, but merely for convience sake. And I agree that a friendly reminder as I am seated as to the terms of the DDP is not, to me, out of line, but I still don't like it. By now, there has been more than enough discussion on too many different sites regarding the changes. And if you're new to it, you may not know the previous system anyway. If nothing else, you were more than likely reminded by the CM when you added the DDP to your package. It is after all stated everywhere that the TIP is no longer included.

The one thing that discourages me greatly is that we will be a party of 7-8 through out our trip. We will be a part of the mandatory 18%. That would be fine, except that only 3 of us are adults. All of the others are kids who tend to get subpar service because they have no control of the tip and are looked at as ones who "don't know any better," or "don't matter." The 18% also wouldn't bother me if we were all going to be seated at the same table all of he time. But we won't. There is only 1 resturant where we are guarenteed 1 table. All others we will be at 2 tables. I plan to mention this only because as I see it, we will be 2 parties.

Yes, when given the option, I will leave a cash tip. And I agree that a tip or gratuity should be given to those who go over and above what is expected and not merely for service alone, good or bad. When we (hopefully) go in August, I will leave cash, but it will only be 2 of us and will not be on the DDP.

KSS
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
After reading all these posts I think it is best to just bring cash for the tips. I did a little math and figured out the average cost for a meal (not to difficult if you have spent any time looking over menus while planing your trip) and then the 18% for the tip. Then I threw in a little extra just in case. For the 2 of us I need only to bring around $100 for 6 nights. That really isn't so bad if you think about it. I know it costs more for bigger families but then you wanted to have kids right? Trips to WDW cost money, you plan for it so you can enjoy it without worrying about the cost. If you think it costs too much don't go there. If enough people stay away Disney will lower the cost. I really don't understand why everyone is so upset about this:confused:. Just my :twocents:

If the kids comment here was meant for my earlier post ....Yes I absolutly chose to have kids...all 4 of them and maybe more too. I can also afford to have them and meet all their needs and then some. THAT was not the point I was trying to make ...my point was why does having more kids obligate me to a tip that may not be deserved. As I stated earlierI have NO PROBLEM tipping and tipping well. My problem is a FORCED TIP that may NOT be deserved.

Mickey91
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM

I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't afford to tip their waitstaff. The point being made is that a mandatory tip is not right. A waiter earns a tip by the type of service he offers. It should never be expected. Yes, they work for a lower wage as the tips supplement his earnings. But, ANYONE who works or has worked as a waiter/waitress knows that the tips make their income and treat their cusomers accordingly. We usually start a tip at 20%. It steadily goes down the longer we are in need of service without getting any. This is called incintive to be a great waiter. I believe we have become too ready to reward laziness and complacency in the name of being "fair". My DH works extremely hard and I refuse to give away his earnings to someone who isn't doing his/her job.