PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan and tipping at buffets?

Young@Heart
02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Out of our 5 TS meals, we're doing at least 3 buffets. What is the rule about tipping at a buffet? 2 of them are dinner buffets, and total cost for 5 of us will be over $130. It was so nice when tips were included. I never really paid attention at the buffets. Is it always the same server who brings your beverages and takes your plates?
I can see leaving 15-20% for a sit-down meal, but for a buffet? I'm beginning to think we might be better off w/out the dining plan and just doing CS other than the 3 meals we have planned.

Natazu
02-02-2008, 12:16 PM
If you're doing more buffets than not, you probably won't be maximizing your Dining Plan value. That said, tip whatever you feel the server deserves. We tip a little less actual dollars at buffets than we do at regular restaurants but that's mostly cause the price is lower. The percentage is about the same. Note that at restaurants where the serving load is shared, the tips are probably pooled.

Strmchsr
02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Tipping is expected at the buffets as the servers handle your drinks, plates, etc. If you have used the DDP in the past the same 18% was on the ticket as at other restaurants.

SBETigg
02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Buffet dining still calls for a 15-20 % tip for decent service. Anything beneath 15 % would suggest that the service you had was not sufficient to your needs.

PetefromRI
02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
We ate at O'hana and CapeMay last week and I'll tell you that the servers worked harder there than at any table service place anywhere.We left the usual 20% tip.It seems that tipping has become such an issue these days and I don't understand why.We've always tipped at any restaurant we've eaten at anywhere in the country,it's just part of the price of eating out.

Jared
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Tipping is expected at the buffets as the servers handle your drinks, plates, etc. If you have used the DDP in the past the same 18% was on the ticket as at other restaurants.
But why?

Servers at buffets do considerably less work than their counterparts at traditional table service restaurant. Why should they receive the same tip?

The professional waiters at California Grill clear plates and cups, like servers at buffets, but also take the food orders and serve multiple courses. They earn their 18 or 20 percent.

I will never tip more than 15 percent at a buffet. I'm sorry. The servers at 'Ohana and Cape May Cafe work hard, but it's just not the same as the servers at Artist Point or Flying Fish Cafe.

:tasty:

BritCody
02-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I just googled tipping etiquette at buffets and it calls for 10% at Buffets. As the server does less than a Table Service waiter/waitress

DizneyRox
02-02-2008, 05:36 PM
WHile I agree that 10% or so is good enough for a buffet, Disney seems to think that 18% is the amount regardless of the location. DDE quests are assessed a 18% service charge when eating at a TS locations. I call it a service charge since it's added no matter what, it is not grauity if it is automatically added.

kakn7294
02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I just googled tipping etiquette at buffets and it calls for 10% at Buffets. As the server does less than a Table Service waiter/waitressThanks for the info. I've always felt that unless the server had gone out of his / her way somehow, the tip at a buffet should be less than that at a table service location as generally, less work is done.

Strmchsr
02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
But why? Servers at buffets do considerably less work than their counterparts at traditional table service restaurant. Why should they receive the same tip?

I wasn't saying I agreed with it, just telling you that on the DDP receipt the 18% was there. My guess is they had to do that for union purposes or the servers at CP would get ticked off that they didn't have the earning potential of someone at one of the regular TS restaurants then you'd never find anyone willing to work the buffets. That said, I've generally found Disney buffet restaurant servers to be considerably better/more attentive than a standard buffet place.

TheRustyScupper
02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
1) The standard for buffets is 10%-15% (10% average, 15% great service).
2) If in doubt, Google any tip web page.
3) Just because it is Disney, don't over tip.

jszczur5
02-02-2008, 10:59 PM
1) The standard for buffets is 10%-15% (10% average, 15% great service).
2) If in doubt, Google any tip web page.
3) Just because it is Disney, don't over tip.

By the same token, just because you're ticked with the changes to DDP, don't be tempted to take it out on the servers and under-tip either.
I'm a lousy tipper, and only ever tip 10% for buffets, and 15% for full-service. And that is assuming that the service was at least average. For less than average service, I have no problem leaving less. Most servers know when they've done a poor job, and are not really surprised when they get a mediocre tip.

tinksmom02
02-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I was a waitress (in my previous life LOL), and I agree with Jared. They may clear the plates and serve you drinks, but they're not taking orders, delivering food, etc. And it's sad to say, but I've found the service at buffets is typically sub-par to service at sit-down restaurants (this is everywhere, not just Disney. Disney probably has the best buffet service I've ever experienced, actually.) As a wrost-case scenario, there's a restaurant by me that does a breakfast buffet on Sundays and at Christmastime, and the last time we were there, we never even SAW our waitress the ENTIRE meal!

Anyway, I think if you get exceptional service at any meal, buffet or otherwise, you should tip accordingly. I generally tip 10-15% at buffets.

Young@Heart
02-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks, everyone! I never even thought to google tipping etiquette. :blush:

I'm not upset about tipping for service. We usually tip about 20% when we go out to eat (I just take 10% of the bill, double it, and round up or down to the nearest 1/2 dollar increment). But we don't eat at buffets other than WDW, so I wasn't sure about tips there. And I'm too lazy to drag out the few receipts I've saved from our last trip to see what was added on for gratuities.

The tipping doesn't bother me, but carrying money around just for tax and gratuities will be an annoyance. I loved not worrying about all that w/ the DDP. In fact, that's why we started getting it. Just knowing that everything was taken care of (except breakfasts/snacks- which we bring from home) before we even arrived was so nice! I'll miss that. As it is, I have 5 seperate souvenier funds and travel money that I have to take care of. Now, I'll be in charge of tax/gratuities for the DDP. I think I'll be looking into some pre-paid CC's for souvenier funds. ;)

PetefromRI
02-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I have to admit that since tip is no longer included in the DDP we won't even consider the plan.For what we eat it really doesn't work for us anymore.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I waited tables for over 5 years. When I go to a buffet I usually tip 15%. More if I get great service and less if I saw you only to take my drink order.

Servers make $2.13 and hour and the government requires them to claim 10% of their sales as tips (whether you receive them or not). I never tip less than this even for bad service because who wants to pay taxes on money they didn't make? If it is terrible then I'll get the manager and let them know that what occurred. Sometimes you're just having a bad day and things just aren't going the way the should.

disney323
02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I see most Buffet servers do the same work as other servers and sometimes more work. There are many, many more plates and wasted food to move from the table back to the kitchen. They also still bring your drinks and other items that you may need. I tip at least $2- 4 (15 -20+%) per person but depends on how good the server was. We had a buffet breakfast at one place and the server was very bad. I think we left 2 or 3 dollars for 2 of us. Another place we do breakfast there was a very nice server and we had her a couple of times then and since and she remebers to just bring out a pitcher of grapefruit juice for me. ( I drink atleast 4 glasses of the stuff) she always gets a good tip 20% or so.